• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton signed to 4 year, $72M deal

AndrewLaskoski

Carolina Panthers, Taylor Moton beat franchise-tag deadline by agreeing to 4-year, $72M extension | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

The deal contains $43 million fully guaranteed at signing, which ties Moton with New Orleans Saints tackle Ryan Ramczyk for the second-most guaranteed money among tackles. 

Huh?  No it doesn't.  Ramczyk has guaranteed  $60 million.

and it’s hard not to view this deal as something of an overpay. The Panthers let the division-rival Saints extend Ramczyk on his fifth-year option just two weeks prior to the franchise tag deadline for Moton, and they had to back up the Brinks truck as a result.

He is the No. 9-ranked tackle in PFF’s offensive tackle rankings as we look toward the 2021 season.

He is the 7th and 8th highest paid tackle by yearly and by guaranteed amounts respectively.  

Sometimes pff just whiffs.

• Beer 1

This was a given to me that should have already been done. We just secured what we already had...doesn't make the line better than what it was last year and for a second it looked like it wasnt gonna happen. Im not giving much praise for this because signing our own guys has never been the hump we need to get over. If this staff is gonna be better than the last they have to be better at filling in the holes around the guys we already have.

Edited by CPF4LIFE

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

This was a given to me that should have already been done. We just secured what we already had...doesn't make the line better than what it was last year and for a second it looked like it wasnt gonna happen. Im not giving much praise for this. 

Darn we were so hoping you would approve.  I am so bummed 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Not this year.  He's playing on the tag.  With bonus and incentives, it may go up.  Which is fine, we had last I checked like 24 million in space.

The long term contract replaces the franchise tag contract so he will likely count less than 13 million unless they decide to frontload the contract by giving him a good signing bonus plus a good salary for 2021. Usually the signing bonus is in lieu of a big salary year 1 which reduces the cap number since ithe signing bonus gets prorated. The whole reason to sign him longterm is to lower the cap of a franchised player and lock him up for years. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Sorry man, I have been busy and in and out of here a lot lately. 

If an OL can play LT at a high level, even if it is not quite as good as he can play another position, he plays LT. 

I was not impressed vs. NE, and I think it was Dallas when he got moved there for a bit.  I did not see a LT, but statistically, he was OK--I think he gave up one pressure.  It could be awkward footwork because getting moved without a week or two to prepare is brutal.  And Dallas was throwing some wicked stunts at him and he was doing fairly well at times.  I just need to see him vs. all kinds of DEs/OLBs.  One or two games?  Maybe they knew he'd be OK vs. one skill set and not the next game's DE.  I dunno.   So since he was not prepared vs. Dallas or NE at LT, it is really hard to get a feel for him out there. 

I saw some bad moments that he got away with, but I may have overstated my certainty that he is not going to play LT--I still do not think he will--because if he could play LT, he'd be a LT. You have an OL coach, an OC, a head coach--all watching film 8 hours a day.  Did any of them ever say, "Hey!! Wait a tick. What if we tried Moton on the other side?!!!."  I am guessing that they did that and tried it in practice and did not make the move.

Wonder how much Moton's inexperience at the time played a factor? He didn't play very much his rookie year in 2017 then if I remember he was gonna play guard after Norwell left. But then Darryl Williams hurt his knee in camp so he went to RT. Then matt kalil got inured so they put him at LT for two games when Williams came back. But Demarcus Lawrence decided to dive helmet first into his already injured knee  so we signed Chris Clark who said he was more comfortable at LT so they put him there. Now Moton's an experienced vet who's had time to adjust to the NFL. While he may not be a true LT it's absolutely worth giving him a long look at the position.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

The long term contract replaces the franchise tag contract so he will likely count less than 13 million unless they decide to frontload the contract by giving him a good signing bonus plus a good salary for 2021. Usually the signing bonus is in lieu of a big salary year 1 which reduces the cap number since ithe signing bonus gets prorated. The whole reason to sign him longterm is to lower the cap of a franchised player and lock him up for years. 

Taylor Moton Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

"

Taylor Moton signed a 4 year, $72,000,000 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including $43,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2021, Moton will earn a base salary of $13,754,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,754,000.

"

13,754,000 I believe is the franchise tag amount.  It looks like very little change to his cap hit this year.

If you look at over the cap which hasn't updated yet:

Carolina Panthers Salary Cap | Over the Cap

His cap hit is the same.

Taylor Moton Signs Extension With Panthers | Over the Cap

"

Taylor Moton agreed to a new five year contract worth about $85 million with $43 million guaranteed at signing. The move should validate the massive increase in the right tackle market that occurred when Ryan Ramczyk signed a very lucrative contract extension about two weeks ago.

The wording on the Moton contract is interesting. In general franchise players, even when they have signed a tender, are negotiating a new contract. In this case the announcements of the deal were very clear to paint this as a four year extension worth $72 million. The difference in the two numbers is notable as a four year deal averages $18 million a year while the five year deal would average around $17 million a year. The $43 million guarantee (my guess is it will be a few dollars more than $43 million) should wind up as the top number among right tackles just edging out the Ramczyk deal. Ramczyk’s deal had incredibly strong cash flows so we will have to wait and see if this deal even comes close to that.

While the extension vs new contract debate is a bit of semantics I would guess this is where the two sides were able to come to an agreement. From the Panthers perspective they should clearly view this at $17 million a year which is probably closer to what they were considering as an offer when they tagged him. The $18 million number is closer to the Ramczyk number and valued in the same manner which makes it reasonable for Moton to accept.

"

Good article. It discusses the tackle market as well.

This is another article saying the guarantees are like the Ramczyk deal, so now I don't know what the aints did.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Taylor Moton Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

"

Taylor Moton signed a 4 year, $72,000,000 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including $43,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $18,000,000. In 2021, Moton will earn a base salary of $13,754,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,754,000.

"

13,754,000 I believe is the franchise tag amount.  It looks like very little change to his cap hit this year.

If you look at over the cap which hasn't updated yet:

Carolina Panthers Salary Cap | Over the Cap

His cap hit is the same.

You appear to be correct. The contract is an extension rather than replacing the franchise tag. Maybe it is me but I don't remember seeing a contract structured like this. It ends up being a 5 year deal if you include his franchise tag.  The guaranteed amount is actually higher though since his franchise tag was also guaranteed when he signed his tender. So it is  closer to 57 million for 5 years guaranteed. Right??

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1