• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton signed to 4 year, $72M deal

AndrewLaskoski

19 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

"Taylor Moton signed a 4 year, $72,000,000 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including $43,000,000 guaranteed..."

13,754,000 I believe is the franchise tag amount. 

The $13.75M tag-contract this year is guaranteed.  

The language seems to indicate the 4-year extension includes $43M guaranteed.  

Those 2 contracts appear to be independent of each other. 

If true that adds up to almost $57M guaranteed.  

Ramczyck's contract language indicates 2 different "guarantee" numbers..."fully guaranteed" at $43M...and "guaranteed" at $60M.  

Not sure what the difference is but if Moton is at $43M and $57M that's a great result for him and his agent.  

Edited by SizzleBuzz

22 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

Wonder how much Moton's inexperience at the time played a factor? He didn't play very much his rookie year in 2017 then if I remember he was gonna play guard after Norwell left. But then Darryl Williams hurt his knee in camp so he went to RT. Then matt kalil got inured so they put him at LT for two games when Williams came back. But Demarcus Lawrence decided to dive helmet first into his already injured knee  so we signed Chris Clark who said he was more comfortable at LT so they put him there. Now Moton's an experienced vet who's had time to adjust to the NFL. While he may not be a true LT it's absolutely worth giving him a long look at the position.

There were a lot of variables, for sure.  He was never in a fair situation, but I go back to the fact that if he could play LT, he would be at LT.  Tanneyhill was a WR in college.  What if he could be a better WR than he is a QB?  Do you move him to WR, or keep him at QB?  Maybe a bad example, but how i see it.  I just know how much film these coaches watch--the OL coaches are experts--they never insisted that he move to LT when we had NOTHING at LT.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You appear to be correct. The contract is an extension rather than replacing the franchise tag. Maybe it is me but I don't remember seeing a contract structured like this. It ends up being a 5 year deal if you include his franchise tag.  The guaranteed amount is actually higher though since his franchise tag was also guaranteed when he signed his tender. So it is  closer to 57 million for 5 years guaranteed. Right??

Yup.

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I just know how much film these coaches watch--the OL coaches are experts--they never insisted that he move to LT when we had NOTHING at LT.

I think Rhule and the line coaches may agree on the perspective that the difference between LT and RT isn't  what it used to be because there are a lot of good rushers on either side. 

Just ask Von Miller and Remmers in SB50.

So to move Moton to LT midseason when he nailed down RT didn't make sense.

• Pie 4

8 hours ago, jamos14 said:

Fair deal for an elite player.

He didn't get Ramcyzk money but he is tied with Lane Johnson as the #2 highest paid RT.

And thats about where his talent level stands. Ramcyzk set the market and this is a great deal for both sides. Moron has earned this.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, SBBlue said:

I think Rhule and the line coaches may agree on the perspective that the difference between LT and RT isn't  what it used to be because there are a lot of good rushers on either side. 

Just ask Von Miller and Remmers in SB50.

So to move Moton to LT midseason when he nailed down RT didn't make sense.

There really is not.  Blind side with mobile QBs is not what it once was.

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I hate to say it but you watched a different game than a lot of us and the articles about it also say the same as what I saw, that he played very well at LT. I have no idea if he’ll be given a chance to play there or if he or the coaches want him there, but I recollect him playing well in both games. Both NE and Dallas had solid DLs that year.

As to the switching sides, who knows. He’s played very well on the right and as stated above, our biggest sack against us in the most important game was from the right side so we may have a slightly different perspective on right and left. Ron is certainly not a change guy and he specifically said that Clark preferred the left so rather than have two new starters, he put both where they had played before. We kept signing/drafting guys who were LTs as well so not sure we ever tried and I don’t think Rhule wanted to disrupt one of the two guys who had started the year before.

It is interesting that they put the same provision in his contract as Ramzcyk of a bonus if he plays and excels at LT.

Anyway, I was interested in your thoughts because I didn’t recall anyone in here or in an article panning his play at LT in those games. I do recall the argument of well if I did well he would have stayed there, which I didn’t agree with as Ron specifically said Clark was more comfortable on the left side when they brought him in.

And did he see every type of edge rusher on the left side?  Here is my point--and I am not under any obligation to agree with sports writers or armchair GMs (I am the latter, and was the former back in the day) His feet were slow to recover at times and he did not get arm extension at times.   To me, those could be confusion--an unsure OT lacks the confident to commit--and I saw that at times. How many plays did you see, total? A very small sample size.  Maybe they take a look at him there now, especially with BC able to play RT.

HOWEVER, my point has been for 4 years that these coaches see him every day--at practice, on film, etc.  They know the risk reward for moving him.  If he can play LT at the same level he can play RT, would the coaches not move him like the Huddle wants to see?   So if he flashed at times, it is a good sign.  However, I saw signs that he was uncomfortable there--mainly with his arms and feet.  I have been having this debate with Huddlers for a few years now, and the irony is--I would LOVE to see him get a full preseason at LT and start there.  It could be that RR saw a rookie and did not see a LT and never changed his view---or it could be that his natural position is RT and that is not because he failed at LT.

I hope this makes sense.  I know what you are saying, but I watched his feet and arm extension and sensed that he was insecure there.  That is all I am saying, and if you have a guy who can start at RT for 4 years on a rookie salary, move Moton.

The practices vs. Indy and Baltimore will be interesting because he can get a steady dose of rushers from a variety of perspectives.  The Colts are going 4-3 this season (Tampa 2) and the Ravens run a 3-4, 4-3 hybrid.  Those two practice weeks and games should tell us a lot about our Tackles.

Let's see how this turns out. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, CmC2k said:

Wonder how much Moton's inexperience at the time played a factor? He didn't play very much his rookie year in 2017 then if I remember he was gonna play guard after Norwell left. But then Darryl Williams hurt his knee in camp so he went to RT. Then matt kalil got inured so they put him at LT for two games when Williams came back. But Demarcus Lawrence decided to dive helmet first into his already injured knee  so we signed Chris Clark who said he was more comfortable at LT so they put him there. Now Moton's an experienced vet who's had time to adjust to the NFL. While he may not be a true LT it's absolutely worth giving him a long look at the position.

I think your last sentence sums this up. 

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Appreciate the input because I did watch him a lot (big fan and was very interested in him at LT), but I was viewing it as an overall did he succeed and as you mentioned 1 pressure against two solid DLs is success to me. I wasn’t watching close enough or on replay/all 22.

I agree with the statement above. Let’s be honest, he was only LT because due to training camp injuries. That’s why Clark being left only made the decision easy. Moton hasn’t had a chance to show if he can handle LT or not. I’m not surprised that Rhule didn’t want to upset the Apple cart bringing in a new set of coaches and new QB and they didn’t even have a full off season to play around.

This is going to be the most interesting story after Darnold this season--the LT spot.  Again, if Moton can do at LT what he does at RT--I would LOVE to see it.  Then we'd have BC at RT.  Let Erving and Daley compete for the LG job with Elflein, and let Scott (who is a swing tackle, I think) back up both T spots.

I have not watched the games you mentioned in some time, so I could be remembering it worse than it was, fwiw. 

IF Moton goes to the LT spot successfully, our OL could be very good.

One other factor--what kind of rapport did he have with Miller? T/G communication is important--like knowing when to switch in man defense in basketball--and that could be the reason Moton STAYED at RT when he had the chance--so many variables.  I think we can agree on this: If he is going to switch, it will be now and not later.

• Pie 1