• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"You can't judge somebody based off of sacks"

Icege

Good analysis.

The hardest thing about measuring football performance by stats is that there are so many things you just can't quantify. How nervous a particular lineman makes an opposing quarterback is one example.

Edited by Mr. Scot

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good analysis.

The hardest thing about measuring football performance by stats is that there are so many things you just can't quantify. How nervous a particular lineman makes an opposing quarterback is one example.

Yeah.  I'd like us to lead the league in unnerving qbs.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

There was an interview this off-season with Luke, posted on this forum. I think he stated he thought Tackle for loss was an underrated stat.

I think Reddick ended up top 5 in that stat. 

Is that worth to be included? 

What stats did the rookies have in college? 

Preventing points and being part of preventing points is what matters. The defense being affective is what matters. Individual production is what we can easily quantify or be exited about. However, it all needs to combine to prevent points. 

I'm encouraged it will. 

Edited by Moo Daeng

Does it count as a pressure if an edge rusher flushes a QB from the pocket and completes a TD?

As far as unnerving the QB, I guarantee you the guys that put the QB on his ass are more effective at it. 

Sacks are overrated as far as evaluating DT productivity. Edge rushers not so much imo.

• Pie 1

As a team last year, our pass rush win rate was pretty good at 12th overall.  Where we struggled was with run stop win rate, where we were 28th.  Yikes!  We have GOT to learn how to stop the run.

Offensively, also probably what you would expect.  We were 23rd in pass block win rate, but 7th in run block win rate.  Looking at that run block win rate, it occurs to me that Mike Davis may not have been as good as we thought.  We were actually setting him up pretty well.  If we can figure out how to pass block, we're going to be dangerous.

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Does it count as a pressure if an edge rusher flushes a QB from the pocket and completes a TD?

I believe it does as the DL did their job in that scenario while the coverage failed.

Can also include QB hits/Hurries if there's interest, but I won't be able to edit OP to include it.

• Beer 2

58 minutes ago, BrianS said:

As a team last year, our pass rush win rate was pretty good at 12th overall.  Where we struggled was with run stop win rate, where we were 28th.  Yikes!  We have GOT to learn how to stop the run.

Offensively, also probably what you would expect.  We were 23rd in pass block win rate, but 7th in run block win rate.  Looking at that run block win rate, it occurs to me that Mike Davis may not have been as good as we thought.  We were actually setting him up pretty well.  If we can figure out how to pass block, we're going to be dangerous.

Eh... idk about that. It took until week 3 for the team to get their first sack and they were not lighting it up until later in the year with two 5 sack performances (vs DET & GB). It is definitely a good sign that they started to get to the QB but they weren't doing that until later in the season.

Fully agree with the team needing to do better vs the run tho

Edited by Icege