• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Cap Space (This Season) After Moton Deal

CarolinaLivin

8 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

The Carolina Panthers cut it pretty close, but they were able to work out a new long-term contract with their star right tackle Taylor Moton just before the franchise tag deadline.

If a deal had not been struck, Moton would have played under the tag and counted $13,754,000 against the cap, the highest amount on the roster. Instead, Moton signed a four-year, $72 million deal, deservedly making him one of the highest-paid tackles in the NFL. The move also saved the Panthers a good chunk of salary cap space for the 2021 season.

According to updated figures at Over the Cap, Carolina now has a little over$24 million in cap space – $10 million more than before the Moton deal.

While there’s not a whole lot of options left on the market, that’s more than enough to go out and address a couple of the team’s biggest roster hole before the games begin. Signing a proven left tackle and a free safety should be at the top of the list.

Link: https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/18/how-much-cap-space-do-the-panthers-have-after-taylor-motons-megadeal/

With saving approx. $10 million and putting us at about $24 million in current cap for this season, who do you think the Panthers will try to bring in if anyone? I've seen articles suggesting a LB (Vander from cowboys, would be a trade situation I believe), CB (already brought in veteran FA clinton dix), and S (suggestions from articles included FA hooker & vaccaro). 

Lockup Donte Jackson with a long term deal 

13 hours ago, stbugs said:

I really hope we aren’t stupid enough to go for it again. Save the cap, roll it over and spend it on DJ, Burns, etc. and whatever’s left can go to a splurge when we are actually competing for a title. I want to see Darnold improve before wasting anymore like we did in 2019/2020.

Exactly, pass rushers are by far one of the most important positions in the game and we will have to pay Burns in a couple years.  I would also love keeping DJ Moore.  He’s performed so well with trash at QB, this guy can be a league leader in stats with better QB play.  

We’ve been laughably bad at retaining quality homegrown talent, so I’m a believer that the Moton deal was a sign of good things to come.  

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, thefuzz said:

We think we know what they are looking for, but very well may not.

Maybe they think this division is about to turn.  Maybe they look at our weapons and hopefully a better O Line and want to play here, maybe Rodgers really wants to play for Brady and Rhule.

I'm just saying that it's a possibility that one of them could be here, especially after we tried like hell for Stafford.  This ain't your daddy's Carolina Panthers.

Son, is that you? I don't think the Panthers are quite old enough for you to keep using that phrase. Most people here watched game 1. Not everyone of course but it's kind of like saying this isn't your dad's Sponge Bob Square Pants.

10 hours ago, Jared Patterson said:

Can someone please explain Matt Paradis's contract? Is he on the team for 2022? Can someone please explain. I think we would be paying him to not be on the team? Would we likely extend him to play in 2022 if we are already paying him? If someone could explain that would be AMAZING! Thanks!

Paradis is gone in 2022.

We converted 7ish million of base salary this year into bonus in order to spread the cap hit over two years, albeit two years he is not on the team.  I'm guessing the thinking was that this year our cap is in bad shape due to Luke, Teddy, etc.  We needed the 4 million in relief.  The next couple years our cap looks way better, and so by spreading 4 million over each of those years we have a lower impact on our ability to field a good team.

• Beer 1