• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hope, but be real. We don't know what Darnold is, but that's OK.

top dawg

On Bridgewater, I heard more than a few say that we already knew what he was, and it turns out that they were right. For me, the ball security thing just moved the needle fully into the red. That and his reluctance to throw anyone open down field. All that being said, can anyone say with any surety what Darnold is? I really don't think so. At least we know he's not a pu$$y as it pertains to pushing the ball down field. That's a double-edged sword based upon his play with the Jets (and that may be being generous). Steel sharpens steel though, and we'll find out if we're dealing with tinfoil relatively shortly.

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, top dawg said:

One thing about Bridgewater is that I believe expectations were a little higher because we had all heard about his ball security and decision making. At the end of the day, on that front, we were sold a bill of goods--Teddy flipped the script! Plus, he turned out to be somewhat of an understated blamer (though I could be being petty). 

With Darnold, we shouldn't have high expectations to be honest. He flashed relatively very little among sucking a lot. Honestly, he's been a near-classic bust so far. The only thing that saves him from having that title more entrenched is the orbit that he was in. He got a mulligan because of it. Now, all we can hope is that he's Cinderfella.

I agree but the thing of it is that virtually every highly drafted QB is stepping into a dumpster fire. They're drafting that kid in hopes that he plays a huge role in helping them out of the dumpster. I mean, we were certainly dumpster fire status when we drafted Cam. The Browns were when they drafted Mayfield. The Bengals were last year when they drafted Burrow. The Cardinals were when they drafted Murray. And on and on.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

MY advice: keep hope alive, but also keep your expectations down to earth. Don't set your heart on Darnold being the savior, but don't dismiss his potential and the ability for our staff to accentuate his strengths and hopefully minimize his faults. Wait and see, but keep your mind open. At the end of the day, when the balance sheet is reconciled, there's really not enough invested in him--at this point--to raise our hands and thank our lucky stars, or to weep and gnash our teeth. We'll have a better idea of what he is in three months, and we'll have even better answers as to what we really have in a front office some time after that. 

Well said!

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Italianpantherfan said:

We’ll find out preseason and week 1 what we have in darnold I think he’ll be fine I’m not expecting him to throw 35 tds but I could expect him to have around 20 touchdowns this year . 

Nah, it'll take 5-6 games. Gotta wait until opposing DCs have film of him in our system to study.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Italianpantherfan said:

We’ll find out preseason and week 1 what we have in darnold I think he’ll be fine I’m not expecting him to throw 35 tds but I could expect him to have around 20 touchdowns this year . 

If that's your expectation for your QB you are fine being the fan of an endlessly mediocre team.  Let's face it, TB5 nearly threw for 20 last year and NOBODY wants to see that again.  Ever.

I expect a franchise QB to account for 30+ TD's every season.  Especially with an extra game.

Here's what a franchise QB looks like:

image.png.8a074764d23238961460fec9341c10e4.png

45 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Basically you’re telling Huddle members to think realistically about the 2021 season and not start FIRE EVERYONE threads if the team doesn’t meet their lofty expectations…

You’re asking way too much my friend

TRADE BURNS NOWWWWW!!!!!! I can't believe we tried two wiyun tha 3rd game and kill our draft 

My optimism actually has nothing to do with Darnold and more to do with Gase. He rode the coattails of one of the greatest QB savants to ever play. He had no business as a head coach or any of the other positions he tried to fill. I see Darnold as a rookie in terms of knowledge that's seen game speed for 3 years.  If he's good, excellent, if not, he cost us a 2nd rounder. If we weren't sold on Fields then that's OK too. The risk vs reward is very good for us IMO.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

My optimism actually has nothing to do with Darnold and more to do with Gase. He rode the coattails of one of the greatest QB savants to ever play. He had no business as a head coach or any of the other positions he tried to fill. I see Darnold as a rookie in terms of knowledge that's seen game speed for 3 years.  If he's good, excellent, if not, he cost us a 2nd rounder. If we weren't sold on Fields then that's OK too. The risk vs reward is very good for us IMO.

Gase is 100% confirmed trash. That's for sure.