• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hope, but be real. We don't know what Darnold is, but that's OK.

top dawg

Just now, Michael G said:

He does. I'm not talking about all pro Farve, I'm talking about launching the ball under pressure, trying to make plays no matter what Favre. 

I haven't seen that from Darnold. Don't mistake panic flailing with trying to make plays no matter what. I've seen a lot of panic flailing from Darnold. 

• Pie 3

19 hours ago, Camp Fodder said:

Still wished we would have taken Fields  We have no backup plan currently. 

I see where you are coming from but the jury is still out on Fields,so i am going to wait until he has played a full year to determine whether we should have selected him with our first round pick.

• Pie 1

Due to his O-line allowing pressure up the middle every play, he did do a lot of impromptu-panicked plays. He made a few great plays out of nothing though (Farve did that a lot). I hope he has more time and makes good decisions in our system. Hopefully they'll be fewer ghosts to scare him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Michael G said:

He does. I'm not talking about all pro Farve, I'm talking about launching the ball under pressure, trying to make plays no matter what Favre. 

I can understand a young QB under pressure, on a real bad team, launching ill advised throws while trying to make things happen, which would cause him to make mistakes.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Darnold is young and talented, but we've now seen him in the NFL for almost 40 games and his raw abilities have rarely generated steady, high-level play. 

And many have pointed to the incessant pressure Darnold faced with the Jets as a factor outside of his control when explaining why he flopped to start his NFL career, but he was actually much closer to league average under pressure than he was from a clean pocket in 2020.

The improved situation with the Panthers will catalyze a more respectable Darnold than someone who was in the running for the worst starting quarterback in the league last season. He has too much natural ability as an anticipatory thrower to be that bad again.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

As much as I hate to see us lose, I'd almost welcome 0-17 with Darnold because it would answer all the questions definitively and give us our choice of the best QB in the next draft.  I'd be way more excited about 0-17 with Darnold than 5-12 with ANY of our recent QB's.

Agreed. I'd either tank hard than me mediocre to kind of bad. If this QB doesn't pan out, the desperation is going to start sinking in the coaching staff, I think. Having a third starting QB in three seasons is about the worst thing imaginable for a new coaching staff.

• Pie 3

55 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Darnold reminds me of a clean and sober Brett Favre. He is a Gunslinger. His style of play seems a lot different from Teddy's. It will be interesting to see how that style meshes with the offense here and our talent. There are a lot of things he will need to do better, but he should have more tools and options available to help him succeed. Can he learn how to use those tools, stay cool when pressured, and make good choices in our system?

I really don't know- I agree with the earlier post (the one with four options). It could go lots of different ways.

Disagree with the Brett Favre comparison but I do think he stays cool when pressured.

I mean...he wouldn't be able to make ANY of the throws on the run that he did on the Jets if he wasn't able to stay cool. 

The key is "make good choices" aka Decision-making.

Like...know where to throw and WHOM to throw it to. 

With the Jets he had close-to-zero options.

With the Panthers, he will have options up the wazoo.

It's going to be up to him to pick the appropriate target and make a good throw.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

21 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

but he was actually much closer to league average under pressure than he was from a clean pocket in 2020.

I've seen this reported in a couple of articles and it concerns me. Our O-line may not be able to keep him standing much longer than the Jets Oline did, but if it does I'm hoping we have a better scheme and improved options like CMC, DJ, and Robby will help him have better options when he has time and when under pressure.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 2

On 7/19/2021 at 1:42 PM, panthers55 said:

I thought that a big reason was Bridgewater didn't get better as the season unfolded. He failed to thrown it downfield even when it was wide open or it was the fourth quarter and we were behind. He didn't show urgency or any ability to rally the team.  I imagine the negative press wasn't as big a deal as his big guaranteed salary. 

This. His first 5 games were decent then he got worse each week

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We went with what we thought was the "safe vet" option with Teddy. We saw where that got us. So now we're going the opposite direction with the "boom or bust vet". If this backfires then I think this staff is going to have to get over their seeming aversion to rookie QBs because I think they'll be down to their last swing at QB. Three strikes and you're out.

depending on how bad the team is next season it might be Rhule's last season in 2022 if they don't figure out the QB situation. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1