• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hope, but be real. We don't know what Darnold is, but that's OK.

top dawg

19 hours ago, KSpan said:

No chance they regret moving on from Teddy. They may regret something else, like not taking Fields as you mention, but taking the L on Teddy and making the change was absolutely the right and necessary thing to do, just like I assume they will move on from Sam if need be.

We all have to agree that at this point, this staff looks to move on quicker than any other staff we have probably ever had.

They seem willing to accept the mistake, make adjustments, then move on. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

On 7/19/2021 at 10:18 PM, hepcat said:

I’m like 90% sure Darnold is gonna be complete ass

Based on situation and what I've seen, I give him much better odds than this.  

A vary depending on the day, sometimes I succumb to the prevailing wisdom here that this reclamation project has long odds.  But whenever I dig, I find another data point pointing that this was a good move.

• Pie 2

On 7/19/2021 at 3:09 PM, TheCasillas said:

Good vid.  It should be mentioned the jets never hired  a qb coach for Sam.  Hard to coach out bad habits if you don't bother hiring someone to do it.

Here's a couple more

Sam Darnold Playing For His Job - YouTube

Sam Darnold (Film Analysis): I Was Horrified By What I Found - YouTube

They all pretty much say the same thing.  

There's potential, there are flashes, the jets supporting cast was really bad.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

my opinion isn’t going to be popular 

As said by John Madden  ‘big time players make big time plays in big games’

…that is what a NfL QB is paid to do 

Darnold made precious few of those plays in college and even fewer in the NFl

Can he, I don’t know.  It felt like, and still feels like, he is a Kmart ‘blue light’ special to me 

The nfl is littered with QBs no longer in the league  with tremendous physical skills who could not get it done    

https://www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/7/31/17634804/what-do-sam-darnolds-college-turnover-issues-tell-us-about-his-future-new-york-jets

Who knows, maybe the QB  coach can turn him around.  

All I know, from decades of watching pro football, the QB has to believe in his own ability to execute so others will follow. I just don’t see it in Darnold 

I do not see the Panthers going to the playoffs with Darnold unless there is a gargantuan leap in mental processing and execution and if that doesn’t happen,   Rhule and Fitterer have a lot to explain    They have put a turnover machine in a ‘game manager’ role 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Beer 2

On 7/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, kungfoodude said:

I don't think the hope in Darnold is nearly as overrated/overblown as our hope in the offensive line.

As bad as Darnold is/was, the sum of the current Panthers OL is probably a lot less. 

I’m going to try and be a bit positive here.

Almsot every fan base thinks their offensive line is terrible, but in reality when compared to everyone else that usually isn’t the case.

By some accounts out offensive line was middle of the pack last year. 
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

I know people aren’t excited about who we added but who did we really lose? Okung ? He was hurt a lot. Who else?

If we were middle third last year and didn’t lose anyone we should have a chance of being middle third this year.  

Maybe one of the rookies upgrades one of the guard spots, Maybe one of the younger players has another year under their belt and plays better. 

I’m not expecting a top-5 line or anything but it’s not crazy to see a scenario we would be too-15.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:53 PM, mc52beast said:

Basically you’re telling Huddle members to think realistically about the 2021 season and not start FIRE EVERYONE threads if the team doesn’t meet their lofty expectations…

You’re asking way too much my friend

This is year 2 of a slow rebuild with Rhule. Anybody with lofty expectations is putting putting that on themselves. 

I say this even though my own expectations are playoffs. 

• Pie 1

On 7/20/2021 at 6:52 AM, BIGH2001 said:

If Darnold sucks are we still going to be kissing Rhule and Tepper’s ass? Because there’s a lot of that going on around here from two guys who haven’t accomplished much in the league. Especially Tepper who’s yet to post a winning season as an owner.

Did you really just state that as if he has anything to do with the team losing. 

STFU. 

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Poo 1

17 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Cool article, I hadn't seen that one.  From your link:

"Plenty of successful quarterbacks have been turnover prone in college and went on to have success. Ben Roethlisberger threw 21 interceptions over his last two college seasons. Drew Brees threw 24. Matt Ryan threw 29. Matt Stafford, Kirk Cousins and Eli Manning both had higher college interception rates over their final two seasons than Darnold. The list goes on and on. ....Among qualified starting quarterbacks in 2017, the closest comparisons to Darnold in terms of interception rate over their final two college seasons (within .15%) were Tom Brady, Cam Newton, Carson Palmer, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, Eli Manning, DeShone Kizer, Stafford, and Ryan. All of those players have been legitimate top-ten producers for multiple seasons in their careers except Kizer, and five of them have been to Super Bowls.

also went back and compared the college interception rates (over their final two seasons) of each 2017 qualifying NFL quarterback to see if there was a correlation between limiting interceptions in college and producing at an efficient level as a passer in the modern NFL. There was no relation. In fact, at least in 2017, a lower college interception rate actually tended slightly towards a worse quarterback rating "

They have put a turnover machine in a ‘game manager’ role 

There's no arguing that Darnold's int% of 3.0  is high.  And it may be  ingrained and he stinks up the place.  But int%  change, and it isn't a rare event .

Tannehill's ints% were 3.1% and 3.3% his last 2 years with Miami before he went to Ten and they dropped to 2.1%.

Bridgewater's int% his rookie year was 3.0%.  Last year  year it was 2.2%. 

Brees' int% was 3.0% his first full season.  It went to 4.2% his second season.  Sam's has never been that high.

Channel hopping I saw the NFL channel ran the Jets@Miami 2018 game last night so I watched.  The first thing I noticed was the number of bad snaps.  I counted 5 in the few series I watched.  Apparently there were 13 in that game.  Poor Snapping in Miami

Sam threw two ints towards the end of the game on 4th on long, trying to make a miracle happen.  In one case, the other team would have been in better field position had he just thrown an incomplete.  It was a bad snap, he had no time, and the wr's were covered.

I'm not saying Sam is guaranteed to ball out.  What I'm saying is there is enough evidence to support that Sam might be good.

On the Kmart blue light special thing, I have an old radio in my garage I bought in 1980 on blue light special.  Its like an old friend.

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, SBBlue said:

Good vid.  It should be mentioned the jets never hired  a qb coach for Sam.  Hard to coach out bad habits if you don't bother hiring someone to do it.

Here's a couple more

Sam Darnold Playing For His Job - YouTube

Sam Darnold (Film Analysis): I Was Horrified By What I Found - YouTube

They all pretty much say the same thing.  

There's potential, there are flashes, the jets supporting cast was really bad.

I just watched the 2nd link and in 80% of those clips there was a man in the backfield with a hand in Darnolds face.  He didnt have a chance

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

No he did not.

I just skimmed the vid again and yes there are some bad throws (but who doesnt have some on tape) but the majority of what I saw was defenses blitzing the hell out of him and his wideouts running deep routes.  Gase never adjusted for some quick outs.

I still will say both coaching and trotting him out to start as a 20 year old from Southern Cal are the two biggest reasons that he failed.  I mean wtf where they thinking just throwing him into the starting lineup?

• Pie 3