• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jets asst coach in critical condition after bike accident

ladypanther

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Cyclists have always had dedicated lanes. They are called sidewalks and road shoulders. 

Sidewalks are actually not for cyclists. They are supposed to ride in the road and be treated as a vehicle if there is no bike lane. Problem is, many cyclists don’t follow the rules and many motorists don’t treat them as vehicles. A lot more common courtesy is needed on both sides.

• Pie 4

On 7/21/2021 at 2:59 PM, 1usctrojan said:

My sister lived in Danville for many years, the roads out there and most of California are very bike rider friendly.  Bike paths everywhere and a road without a shoulder is rare.  Not as many sidewalks or people walking in the morning or early evening here.

I noticed moving to TN, that is not the case.  All the housing developments they are building with little thought to the infrastructure.  Traffic is just as bad in some of these smaller towns as some of the larger cities in SoCal.

Is it different in other Southern states?  

God Bless Coach Knapp and his family.  Heartbreaking. 

Yes I have lived out west and east and west is basically set up for bikers all over including where I am at now, UT. The east however is not at all, as you said.

The problem is roads just aren’t meant for bikes. It’s barley meant for motorcycles. I think people should stop trying to force this merging of the two. It’s dangerous, bike lanes or not, period.

Where I live people are constantly biking in rush hour times on busy roads and highways. And not for transportation but for fun. No thought about it at all. And traffic rules often don’t apply to them simply because they’re on a bike, they seem to want everyone to yield to them no matter what the traffic rules are. It just doesn’t/can’t work safely on a busy roads full of cars. People get hit all the time.

Bike paths for recreation and inner city transportation I can see some change needed there, but the changes need to cater to bikes…not trying to include them in with cars, makes no sense.

• Pie 2

On 7/22/2021 at 7:40 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

This is my problem with road cyclists. They want to take everything but give nothing. Build bike lanes, build bike paths! Hey, how about a small registration fee to help build/maintain those things? OUTRAGE! Share the road they say while riding three abreast and conveniently deciding whether they'll conduct themselves as a vehicle or as a pedestrian depending on which is convenient for them at the time.

The reality is that bikes are considered vehicles when operating on a public road. Yes, they should pay a fee just like any other vehicle. 

Been saying this for years, and always with the type of response you got above.

Good luck coach.

26 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Yes I have lived out west and east and west is basically set up for bikers all over including where I am at now, UT. The east however is not at all, as you said.

The problem is roads just aren’t meant for bikes. It’s barley meant for motorcycles. I think people should stop trying to force this merging of the two. It’s dangerous, bike lanes or not, period.

Where I live people are constantly biking in rush hour times on busy roads and highways. And not for transportation but for fun. No thought about it at all. And traffic rules often don’t apply to them simply because they’re on a bike, they seem to want everyone to yield to them no matter what the traffic rules are. It just doesn’t/can’t work safely on a busy roads full of cars. People get hit all the time.

Bike paths for recreation and inner city transportation I can see some change needed there, but the changes need to cater to bikes…not trying to include them in with cars, makes no sense.

I understand, grew up with people walking and biking outdoors on streets all my life, we just tend to be very cautious of pedestrian and bike traffic.  Don’t see that here, few people running even.

It is so beautiful in the country in TN, but it was rather shocking when I first got here, to drive on narrow two lane roads (no shoulder), and get scared sh*tless by a huge truck barreling down a country road. Not allowed back home.  

Danville is a nice place, bedroom community type, this was just a very tragic accident.

Edited by 1usctrojan

17 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Sidewalks are actually not for cyclists. They are supposed to ride in the road and be treated as a vehicle if there is no bike lane. Problem is, many cyclists don’t follow the rules and many motorists don’t treat them as vehicles. A lot more common courtesy is needed on both sides.

This. And RIP to the man.  Good coach in the league for a long time.

As an avid touring cyclist. Most of California is awful for riding. 

I prefer riding alone. When I was riding the coast north of the Bay Area in an exceptionally cliffy area I encountered a huge group of typical road riders. It was awful as I was now lumped in by the drivers as being part of the giant group that was pissing them off.

Many drivers and many riders are assholes. 

Edited by Moo Daeng