• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Countdown to Training Camp: Offensive line

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think that with the players we currently have on the roster that we will find a good if not outstanding line.  

I am also predicting Moore or Brown will start the season. 

bold.  I hope you are right

• Pie 1

If even one young player can emerge as a starter on the OL (Christensen, Brown, Moore...hell I'll take Daley or Little even), that would be a huge success. The carousel on the O-Line has been one of the biggest issues this team has had over the last decade.

• Pie 1

OL is in the longest list of unknowns for coming season. I have never had such a poor read on a panther team, minus RB and WR....... dont have a fuging clue about any others......

I do believe Safety spots will do better than 97% of the huddle forecasting trainwreck and "sign all the FAs SS FS!!111!!", with/out Chinn....

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope Deonte Brown proves to be the OG version of Orlando Brown. Orlando Brown was widely expected to be a 1st round LT until he went and utterly tanked the Combine and ended up being a 3rd rounder. He's proved to have been worthy of being a 1st round LT through his NFL play. Deonte Brown was widely expected to be a 2nd or 3rd round OG before utterly tanking at the Senior Bowl and ending up being a 6th rounder. Let's hope that Deonte Brown proves worthy to have been a 2nd round OG.

Smdh, reading that gave me hope for Little lol..until I realized he plays like his last name. It just blows my mind how one could be damn near #1 in high school and college but well below average in NFL. What was he getting by on?Athletism??????..the combine says otherwise. Technique??? ...his game tape says otherwise. It almost had to be pure strength just due to the process of elimination. 

Put it this way, Brown and Moore will make this team before Little imo. Unless a drastic offseason has occured. 

In my mind:

Daley/Scott-Miller-Paradis-Christensen-Moton

If Christensen is a RT, they'll probably keep him on that right side and switch Miller to the left.

Brown and Moore just need more time to develop. I think Moore could play G in a pinch though. Maybe Brown on a snap count.

Brown has to trim more to keep up with faster lineman, improve his speed and shore up his late game stamina. 

Moore will be impressive imo as the season goes on. If history repeats itself this would be Norwell again. 

Erving will ultimately be our backup guard at both spots with the ability to fill in at LT if something catastrophic were to occur. Elfein is better at center than guard. Ok at both spots but I wouldnt settle. 

Paradis is on an incline since his first year but is probably gone next year unless he seriously balls out or we cant find upgrade.

I love David Moore.  More than Brown.  Pulling for the underdog, loved the way he competed at the Senior Bowl.  Brown seems more "big" than anything else at this point.  Hope I am wrong, it happened once before.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He looked absolutely atrocious when moving in space looked absolutely atrocious. He cost himself at least 2-3 rounds of draft status by showing up that week.

Exactly, I don’t know how you can say Brown looked good on tape. Maybe if you only watched the drills. DL were just running around him like he was standing still. I was psyched he was on our team but man did he look awful in the game when the DL didn’t go straight at him.

The main difference between Orlando and Deonte is that Orlando always looked good in games and just looked bad in combine testing. Deonte at the Senior Bowl was game action.

I hope he’s working hard and contributes down the road but I don’t think he’ll be NFL game ready 6-7 months after the Senior Bowl.

We went out and grabbed skill sets for the wide zone blocking scheme, which is run based.  Their pass blocking skills are what we use to measure their worth, for the most part.  We will be much better than in 2020, and I would not be surprised to see the OL outperform expectations.

Do not underestimate the limitations we had last season when Hurney and his $$$$ dead cap went to work.  They signed players who were not really known for the wide zone, but with CMC on the sideline and Teddy at QB, we didn't notice.

I still think Moton stays at RT though.  Paradis, Miller, Moton--the right side seems set to me (not sure about the rookies at RG, but I doubt either is ready to start early).

LG:  We have a ton of options, so I am not really worried about the LG spot:

• Daley
  • Christensen
  • Elflein
  • Erving

Which really leaves LT.  I have said this before:  If you have only one weakness on the OL, you are not bad off.  2?  In trouble.

So can we find a LT from the following:

• Erving
  • Scott
  • Daley
  • Christensen

I think so---not a star, but a serviceable LT.  Daley or Erving seem to be the front runners.

• Beer 1

Ideally:

• You want Erving serving as a backup--depth at all five spots. 
  • You want Elflien stepping up at  LG, at least for now.
  • You want Little to shine at RT, providing depth there.
  • You want Daley to stay healthy and play LT.
  • You want Christensen to develop and be ready for the LG job when Elflien (likely) moves to C.
  • You want Moore and Brown to continue to develop and one to oust Miller by the end of the season.

We have all the pieces, but not all will step up. 

• LT:  Daley, Scott, Erving, Christensen
  • LG: Elflein, Christensen, Moore, Erving
  • Center: Paradis, Elflien, Moore, Erving
  • RG: Miller, Brown, Moore, Erving
  • RT: Moton, Scott, Erving, Little

By 2022, it is likely that Paradis, Little, and Miller will be gone, but we could still hold down the OL with the remaining 7 players (think active roster):

• LT: Daley, Erving
  • LG: Christensen, Erving
  • Center: Elf, Moore
  • RG: Brown, Moore
  • RT: Moton, Erving

Maybe this helps explain the Erving and Elf contracts

31 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Ideally:

• You want Erving serving as a backup--depth at all five spots. 
  • You want Elflien stepping up at  LG, at least for now.
  • You want Little to shine at RT, providing depth there.
  • You want Daley to stay healthy and play LT.
  • You want Christensen to develop and be ready for the LG job when Elflien (likely) moves to C.
  • You want Moore and Brown to continue to develop and one to oust Miller by the end of the season.

We have all the pieces, but not all will step up. 

• LT:  Daley, Scott, Erving, Christensen
  • LG: Elflein, Christensen, Moore, Erving
  • Center: Paradis, Elflien, Moore, Erving
  • RG: Miller, Brown, Moore, Erving
  • RT: Moton, Scott, Erving, Little

By 2022, it is likely that Paradis, Little, and Miller will be gone, but we could still hold down the OL with the remaining 7 players (think active roster):

• LT: Daley, Erving
  • LG: Christensen, Erving
  • Center: Elf, Moore
  • RG: Brown, Moore
  • RT: Moton, Erving

Maybe this helps explain the Erving and Elf contracts

So you're keeping all 11 O-line in this scenario? I could see that, especially with Daley, Erving and Elflien coming off injury plagued seasons, but I'm assuming only 10 make it. We either stash either Moore or Brown on PS, or flat out cut Little. The latter is my preference, If he is a washout at LT after playing there his whole life, I don't see him "shining" at RT.

I also haven't seen enough of Daley to make him the forerunner at LT. People seem to be sleeping on Scott, who stepped up nicely last year, and is still young. Don't count him out. Ulimately, between these 4,  Daley, Scott, Erving, Christensen, I think LT will be OK, but not much better than OK. You can scheme around 1 "OK" position if everything else is solid. LT battle will be fun to watch in preseason.