• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What they're saying: Panthers rank high in skill talent

I'm not surprised, not sure any of us should be.  Our receivers are excellent, our RB may be on course to be an all timer.  The only question mark is at TE.  I'd put our skill group up against anyone in the league aside from KC honestly.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

I'm not surprised, not sure any of us should be.  Our receivers are excellent, our RB may be on course to be an all timer.  The only question mark is at TE.  I'd put our skill group up against anyone in the league aside from KC honestly.

TB / TEN are probably the other teams I think of when you look at WR (having 2 studs), and a HB where I can say we might be behind them considering the gap at the QB position. 

But DJ / Robbie / CMC -- stack up well versus anyone's top 3. 

• Pie 2

"

His thesis: The Panthers are in the top 25 percent of the league, specifically seventh overall, in terms of offensive weaponry.

His argument: Barnwell actually ranked the Panthers fifth in this category last year, and noted that Christian McCaffrey's return from an injury-filled 2020 lends a bit of mystery to what is otherwise a good group.

"If McCaffrey comes back strong, few teams can boast a big three quite as impressive as that of McCaffrey and wideouts Robby Anderson and DJ Moore."

He also suggested that Moore could be more of a scoring threat this year, using fancy math words: "Positive touchdown regression toward the mean will come for Moore, who has only 10 scores on 208 catches over his first three seasons."

"

Ooh yeah.  Regression toward the mean baby.

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

I was surprised this is a slight decline in rank from last year.

One could argue last year the combo of DJ, Robbie, Cmc and Curtis orchestrated by Brady looks more dangerous on paper. Adding in Bridgewater you'd think we'd be damn near unstoppable going off his play in NO. We all just knew he'd be throwing TD's all over the field but ignored that 14 career high. He did manage to throw 15. 

We went down because of 3 reasons imo.

A. TDs/Redzone: our "3" combined for 13 Tds last season. Take away Mccaffrey's (who only played 3 games) and that becomes 7. We accumulated alot of yardage but we didnt get into the endzone as much as we could/should have. 

B. They dont totally know what we have as a collective yet. Alot of college stars/NFL unknowns are behind DJ, Robbie and Cmc. Outside of David Moore and Arnold.

C. Darnold. The one who will be distributing the ball to our star players. Only played 12 games last season but that was probably the worse season he's had. Pretty close to Cam's actually. I'm expecting a bounce back from both of them boys. Moreso Darnold who should now have every tool to win at his disposal. If Cmc stays healthy thats probably an automatic minimum of 10+ receiving TDs. Robby's in a contract year. DJ Moore hasnt peaked yet. Marshall and Bayless should help our redzone problems. His WRs, Rbs, TEs, QB coach, coordinator, HC and protection have all been upgraded. The sleeper imo is Dan Arnold. Not to mention a defense with top 10 potential.

All That said, Im almost positive we will be a problem for coordinators on both sides. Alot of stars haven't been introduced to the general consensus yet. I think we now have enough to reverse a few of those one score loses. Then again, I say that every season. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Look at last year, all the one score losses. Now this year with all the new additions and a chance for our staff to work post Covid. If Sam can just be above average we give the Bucs a challenge for the South title.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Adding in Bridgewater you'd think we'd be damn near unstoppable going off his play in NO.

This is where prorating goes wrong. First, everyone ignored the Rams game where Teddy came in for Brees and basically played the whole game. Second, he had a huge game at home against Tampa. As solid as Tampa’s D was last year, their pass D was the worst in the league in 2019. The rest of his games were right on his normal average of 1 TD a game/win games on the back of the running game and D. You can’t just prorate stats so that it would be like playing his easiest game at home 3 times a year.

Teddy in NO was 1 huge game against the worst pass D and 5 games just like his normal self. I hated the signing and it was laughable seeing some of the 30+ TD projections.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Teddy in NO was 1 huge game against the worst pass D and 5 games just like his normal self. I hated the signing and it was laughable seeing some of the 30+ TD projections.

6 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Adding in Bridgewater you'd think we'd be damn near unstoppable going off his play in NO.

I always thought Teddy was just OK...ever since Kyle Allen looked better than him at NO in 2019.  We were both playing backups.  But after Colin Jones intercepted off Teddy when we were up by like 25 points, and they sat him for Hill...I really thought Teddy would stay a permanent backup.

7 hours ago, SBBlue said:

I always thought Teddy was just OK...ever since Kyle Allen looked better than him at NO in 2019.  We were both playing backups.  But after Colin Jones intercepted off Teddy when we were up by like 25 points, and they sat him for Hill...I really thought Teddy would stay a permanent backup.

He should have stayed a backup. He wasn’t ever special and even as the 5-0 starter in NO, he looked exactly like himself in 5 of the 6 games he played. It’s like a broken record of 1 TD per game. Against Tampa, the worst pass D, 4 TDs. His other 5 NO games that year, 5 TDs. If you have a solid team that’s won the division multiple years in a row, you can go 5-0 or 5-1, if you count full games, throwing 1 TD per game. If you take over the 2019 5-11 Panthers, a 15 TD season gets you 5-11.

I would have much rather suffered through another Kyle Allen season or Will Grier or even PJ over a false hope, spend all your cap season with Teddy.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

He should have stayed a backup. He wasn’t ever special and even as the 5-0 starter in NO, he looked exactly like himself in 5 of the 6 games he played. It’s like a broken record of 1 TD per game. Against Tampa, the worst pass D, 4 TDs. His other 5 NO games that year, 5 TDs. If you have a solid team that’s won the division multiple years in a row, you can go 5-0 or 5-1, if you count full games, throwing 1 TD per game. If you take over the 2019 5-11 Panthers, a 15 TD season gets you 5-11.

I would have much rather suffered through another Kyle Allen season or Will Grier or even PJ over a false hope, spend all your cap season with Teddy.

Given how much money he got out of us, he did exactly what he should have done. While it was a disaster for the Panthers, he has made a load of money and will likely be able to be a solid and well paid #2 option for the rest of his career. 

Teddy would have been a fool to not accept what we offered him. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Given how much money he got out of us, he did exactly what he should have done. While it was a disaster for the Panthers, he has made a load of money and will likely be able to be a solid and well paid #2 option for the rest of his career. 

Teddy would have been a fool to not accept what we offered him. 

Well yeah, he made out like a bandit. So did Short and Okung. Those two milked $40M off of us the past two years for 11 games. It’s seriously insane to think about how much money Marty threw away in 2019/2020. Makes you wonder if he even knew what cap rollover was. He’s like my wife, if there’s money in her account before she gets paid again, it’s gotta be spent! Probably some old GM get together where they pranked Marty into believing that the NFL won’t give you the cap for the new year if you have anything left from the old year.

• Flames 1