• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The worst with a clean pocket, the worst in the red zone…

AceBoogie

58 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Someone's a little bitter.

That someone needs to just move on or move along.

Well, if he's pointing to the Doug Farrar article that Tim Weaver quotes here as authoritative, I wonder if that means he also agrees with what Farrar has to say about Cam Newton in that same piece.

(Newton is listed as the worst quarterback on five-step drops)

Have said already that I don't know how Darnold's going to do (hope he's good, obviously) but I do know that Tim Weaver is one of the worst Panthers writers there is so I don't take anything he writes seriously. 

• Pie 2

How is this a thread(other than the obvious trolling)? These stats have been posted numerous times in numerous threads.

We are aware that he has been awful in his NFL career. Nothing anyone can do about that now. Best we can do is hope he somehow isn't awful anymore. It is what it is.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

This 100%, Sam was not so PROVEN that you bring him in WITH NO COMPETITION and he only costed 4M at that time, you take the QB when they're there because the position is that important. 

You'd always be able to trade Sam just like we did T2G down the line. 

Unless there's some other reason they didn't pick Fields (scouts knew something about him the public didn't), you have to throw resources at the QB position until you find your guy. QB is so much higher value than CB it's not even close. If Darnold doesn't pan out this coaching staff might not even be around to try to find the next QB.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

It’s funny how some people point to stats like this….let’s forget the fact that he was destroyed every other play, but do you not think that the talent around him factors in to his red zone and “clean pocket” stats? If he has little talent at WR that does not gets separation along with terrible play calls what do you think the results will be? Some defended Cam to the death last year because of a lack of talent around him (cough cough) but will point at stats like this as to why our QB is trash. 

Darnold has the ability to turn things around here. He’s 24 and we have seen QBs have a complete turnaround with life after Gase. If he does not work out,  it’s not like we are tied down for 5 years and will be crippled with guaranteed money. It’s a low risk high reward move we have made and I’m not sure what is so had to understand about that

Newton was a Heisman  winner and a NFL MVP and a generational running and passing QB until his injury 

he put a no name offense on  his back and got them to the Superbowk  

if and when, Darnold comes close to that, he will get the same treatment.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

Just now, raleigh-panther said:

Newton was a Heisman  winner and a NFL MVP and a generational running and passing QB until his injury 

he put a no name offense on  his back and got them to the Superbowk  

if and when, Darnold comes close to that, he will get the same treatment.  

You are totally missing the point. I am and will always be a Cam fan. No question he is the best thing this franchise has ever had at QB. Im comparing the difference in excuses  between some of the same posters who defended Cam last year and his performance due to a lack of weapons, but claim Darnold is trash even though he had literally everything working against him (All time terrible coach, horrendous play calling, one of the worst lines in the league 30th ranked, and no weapons). 

I know what Cam has accomplished in his career and am not comparing who has had the overall better NFL pedigree. I’m talking about the coaching staff taking a chance on a low risk high reward 24 year old kid who was in a bad situation. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, if he's pointing to the Doug Farrar article that Tim Weaver quotes here as authoritative, I wonder if that means he also agrees with what Farrar has to say about Cam Newton in that same piece.

(Newton is listed as the worst quarterback on five-step drops)

Have said already that I don't know how Darnold's going to do (hope he's good, obviously) but I do know that Tim Weaver is one of the worst Panthers writers there is so I don't take anything he writes seriously. 

Perhaps Weaver is worse due to his lack of colorful language, or his lack of seemingly intimate connection with the team (hence, short little articles that seem more like minimally filling a requirement to write something than a real article), but I have a hard time believing that anyone disagrees with the notion that those stats don't cause varying degrees of concern, which is really the only definitive, if not obvious, thing that Weaver said. It's late in the offseason though, so I'm giving Weaver and everyone a pass on that score.

My thing is--as stated in the other thread and where @AceBoogiecould have just simply posted "Darnold sucks", as opposed to starting this piece of work--that there's no reason to be overly negative or positive at this point, unless one just likes to troll. And, even if that's the worst case scenario, the Darnold thing doesn't cripple the franchise. Sure, it would suck, especially for older heads seeing another essentially wasted season, as we're one year closer to a dirt nap, but it shouldn't be an off-the-rails scenario. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Teddy had weapons, even with CMC out of the line up. 

People defending Cam because people know what he's capable of. 

QB's or ''a'' QB (Tannehill), who else thrived after Gase, also Tannehill had already ''earned'' an extension prior to Gase's arrival he was already proven, he regressed under Gase THEN returned to form in TEN. 

Darnold hadn't even convinced the team that drafted him to keep him, there's a difference

I love blanket statements like this. Out of context, it's like, OMG, how.could this happen. 

Then you realize new GM, new HC. VERY RARELY do their keep the existing starting QB. No owner wants to give HC's a chance now days. 3 years is a long term for a HC now days. He better not waste time with a guy who isn't his. 

That is.most certainly the case with SAM and the JETS. 

Context matters. 

37 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps Weaver is worse due to his lack of colorful language, or his lack of seemingly intimate connection with the team (hence, short little articles that seem more like minimally filling a requirement to write something than a real article), but I have a hard time believing that anyone disagrees with the notion that those stats don't cause varying degrees of concern, which is really the only definitive, if not obvious, thing that Weaver said. It's late in the offseason though, so I'm giving Weaver and everyone a pass on that score.

My thing is--as stated in the other thread and where @AceBoogiecould have just simply posted "Darnold sucks", as opposed to starting this piece of work--that there's no reason to be overly negative or positive at this point, unless one just likes to troll. And, even if that's the worst case scenario, the Darnold thing doesn't cripple the franchise. Sure, it would suck, especially for older heads seeing another essentially wasted season, as we're one year closer to a dirt nap, but it shouldn't be an off-the-rails scenario. 

Weaver is worse because his takes suck. 

Boogie is just unable to let go. As for the topic at hand it's simply a hope for the best situation rn. The Fields hate is immature though. People were for sure he is a bust before he was even drafted. Yet we see a pretty lengthy list of excuses for past failures of our current starter to the point this is apparently his first nfl camp despite it being his fourth year in the league. To be optimistic is fine but if you have to crap all over someone else just because he was an option it's indicative of a mentality I had hoped some folks would evolve past but it seems to still be lingering. That's a shame. Again though I'm hoping for the best with Sam and that's all I can do. The bed has already been made.