• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The worst with a clean pocket, the worst in the red zone…

AceBoogie

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

The closer we get to the season the more this gnawing feeling we should have taken Fields grows.

We'll have to see how it plays out. But this attitude that it doesn't matter even if Fields turns out to be the GOAT is hilarious. If midway through next season Fields looks like he's back at OSU while Darnold looks like he's back in NY, oh... it's gonna matter.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll have to see how it plays out. But this attitude that it doesn't matter even if Fields turns out to be the GOAT is hilarious. If midway through next season Fields looks like he's back at OSU while Darnold looks like he's back in NY, oh... it's gonna matter.

I hope my gut is wrong. I really do. If Darnold can turn into Aaron Rodgers everything will be great.

4 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

His first camp?? The man been in the league for 3 years already. Blame the Jets all you want, like we’re some first class organization that has a history of building around QBs LOL. 

Don’t be mad at me ability to see the storm before the rain hits my head. 

That's isn't rain. Look again. 

32 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Interesting tidbit from the link:   " Bridgewater ranked No. 32 in that stat last year"

yet we go get some1 worst because he can throw further, but doesn't have the accuracy....so expect alot of ints trying to move the ball downfield.

Report Reveals How Carolina Panthers Will 'Take Advantage' of QB Sam Darnold (msn.com)

8 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I hope my gut is wrong. I really do. If Darnold can turn into Aaron Rodgers everything will be great.

As long as Darnold turns out fine it'll be fine. Yeah, it would've been awesome to have a good QB on a rookie contract for the next 4-5 years, but it is what it is. Just gotta hope Darnold performs - something that I'm admittedly extremely doubtful about.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Weaver is worse because his takes suck. 

I can't say it was Weaver totally, (but it says by Tim Weaver) but I know that Panthers Wire was of the opinion that Minshew was probably the best target for us to go after this offseason (and that list included Darnold). The article had solid reasoning and provided stats to back up their assertion. You might think the take sucks, but I found it very reasonable, if not compelling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-quarterback-trade-options-sam-darnold-jalen-hurts-gardner-minshew/amp/

Here's a totally reasonable take on Darnold:

"The trouble with Darnold is that it’s tough to say how much of an upgrade he’d be over Bridgewater, if at all. There’s potential there, but his production to date is a bit of a yellow flag, even considering the horrible handicap that is playing for the Jets. He’s only thrown 45 touchdowns to go with 39 interceptions so far and completed less than 60% of his passes. He has averaged 6.6 yards per attempt and has a career 78.6 passer rating.

"It’s easy to envision Darnold’s numbers improving in Carolina with a potent receiver corps and Joe Brady calling the shots. Still, they might only be in Bridgewater territory.

"Still, we don’t hate the idea of bringing him in. Darnold is just 24 years old, his salary cap number in 2021 is under $10 million and picking up his fifth-year option would keep his price low for at least another season."

And, here's some of Weaver's reasoning as to why Minshew would have perhaps been the best option for us at the time. And, honestly, it still makes me go "Hmmm..."

"Some of the advanced stats suggest Minshew’s a diamond in the rough, too. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the NFL’s third-highest passer rating against the blitz this season. In addition to being sharp against pressure, Minshew is far more accurate than his completion percentage suggests and his on-target throw % was among league leaders all year."

Not beating the table for Weaver (or any Panthers writer), but I don't see his takes as any better or worse than anyone else's. He did say that they didn't hate the idea of Darnold and gave reasons why, including the relatively cheap price of acquisition,  but he is very much aware of the obvious red--err "yellow" flags (which may be the more appropriate term). In my opinion, his take was anything but sucky.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I can't say it was Weaver totally, (but it says by Tim Weaver) but I know that Panthers Wire was of the opinion that Minshew was probably the best target for us to go after this offseason (and that list included Darnold). The article had solid reasoning and provided stats to back up their assertion. You might think the take sucks, but I found it very reasonable, if not compelling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-quarterback-trade-options-sam-darnold-jalen-hurts-gardner-minshew/amp/

Here's a totally reasonable take on Darnold:

"The trouble with Darnold is that it’s tough to say how much of an upgrade he’d be over Bridgewater, if at all. There’s potential there, but his production to date is a bit of a yellow flag, even considering the horrible handicap that is playing for the Jets. He’s only thrown 45 touchdowns to go with 39 interceptions so far and completed less than 60% of his passes. He has averaged 6.6 yards per attempt and has a career 78.6 passer rating.

"It’s easy to envision Darnold’s numbers improving in Carolina with a potent receiver corps and Joe Brady calling the shots. Still, they might only be in Bridgewater territory.

"Still, we don’t hate the idea of bringing him in. Darnold is just 24 years old, his salary cap number in 2021 is under $10 million and picking up his fifth-year option would keep his price low for at least another season."

And, here's some of Weaver's reasoning as to why Minshew would have perhaps been the best option for us at the time. And, honestly, it still makes me go "Hmmm..."

"Some of the advanced stats suggest Minshew’s a diamond in the rough, too. According to Pro Football Focus, he had the NFL’s third-highest passer rating against the blitz this season. In addition to being sharp against pressure, Minshew is far more accurate than his completion percentage suggests and his on-target throw % was among league leaders all year."

Not beating the table for Weaver (or any Panthers writer), but I don't see his takes as any better or worse than anyone else's. He did say that they didn't hate the idea of Darnold and gave reasons why, including the relatively cheap price of acquisition,  but he is very much aware of the obvious red flags. In my opinion, his take was anything but sucky.

I would've preferred Minshew over Darnold personally. Both were in absolute dumpster fire situations, but Minshew performed significantly better in his particular dumpster fire than Darnold did. Minshew started 9 games last year and threw for 2259 yards with 16 TDs vs. 5 INTs.  Extrapolated to 16 games, that's roughly 4050 yards 29 TDs and 9 INTs. The Jags still went 1-7 in his starts. THAT'S how bad their dumpster fire was. They went 1-7 with a QB who was basically putting up borderline top 10 QB numbers.

• Pie 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I would've preferred Minshew over Darnold personally. Both were in absolute dumpster fire situations, but Minshew performed significantly better in his particular dumpster fire than Darnold did. Minshew started 9 games last year and threw for 2259 yards with 16 TDs vs. 5 INTs.  Extrapolated to 16 games, that's roughly 4050 yards 29 TDs and 9 INTs. The Jags still went 1-7 in his starts. THAT'S how bad their dumpster fire was. They went 1-7 with a QB who was basically putting up borderline top 10 QB numbers.

The article I referenced really gave me more perspective in terms of Minshew and Darnold talent wise. I considered Minshew the better choice, especially due to our situation as far as money and draft capital. And, Minshew could simply be more talented...maybe. Now, we'll likely never know. I think in some respects, he was a victim of his draft position. In terms of us making the Darnold trade happen as opposed to a Minshew trade happen, we don't know any details or even if Minshew was available, but I suspect that Minshew was the victim of first round-sixth round bias. That kinda sucks, but it happens much more than even the so-called experts would probably admit (even to themselves).

5 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

His first camp?? The man been in the league for 3 years already. Blame the Jets all you want, like we’re some first class organization that has a history of building around QBs LOL. 

Don’t be mad at me ability to see the storm before the rain hits my head. 

So we should evaluate him based on his performance as a Jet with that coach and in that system with that personnel?

That makes sense.  His first camp as a Panther in the Brady system with these receivers and this defense.  The man is 25--I am not ready to call him "Trash" and you should not be either.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The article I referenced really gave me more perspective in terms of Minshew and Darnold talent wise. I considered Minshew the better choice, especially due to our situation as far as money and draft capital. And, Minshew could simply be more talented...maybe. Now, we'll likely never know. I think in some respects, he was a victim of his draft position. In terms of us making the Darnold trade happen as opposed to a Minshew trade happen, we don't know any details or even if Minshew was available, but I suspect that Minshew was the victim of first round-sixth round bias. That kinda sucks, but it happens much more than even the so-called experts would probably admit (even to themselves).

I like Minshew and would love to have an 80's rock star as our QB.

But he's not our QB.