• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The worst with a clean pocket, the worst in the red zone…

AceBoogie

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Newton was a Heisman  winner and a NFL MVP and a generational running and passing QB until his injury 

he put a no name offense on  his back and got them to the Superbowk  

if and when, Darnold comes close to that, he will get the same treatment.  

unfortunately, what happened 6-11 years ago isn’t relevant to a thread based on last year.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Does every QB thread have to turn into Cam whataboutism?

I think it make sense given the OP can find subjectiveness in cam’s 2020 year but doesn’t give Sam any slack and just posts stats, ones that have already been discussed at that. typical Cam bandwagon fan input. everyone on this forum is skeptical of Darnold. 

I have little faith in Darnold and personally would’ve taken a chance of Fields. But I’m not going to act like Sam had this great opportunity in NY and being the youngest QB to ever start in the NFL I’m certainley not going to fully judge until I see some play outside of that shithole.

And calling another team a shithole as a Panther fan is (should be) extremely rare.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So we should evaluate him based on his performance as a Jet with that coach and in that system with that personnel?

That makes sense.  His first camp as a Panther in the Brady system with these receivers and this defense.  The man is 25--I am not ready to call him "Trash" and you should not be either.

He's actually 24. That's the best thing going for him currently.

23 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The article I referenced really gave me more perspective in terms of Minshew and Darnold talent wise. I considered Minshew the better choice, especially due to our situation as far as money and draft capital. And, Minshew could simply be more talented...maybe. Now, we'll likely never know. I think in some respects, he was a victim of his draft position. In terms of us making the Darnold trade happen as opposed to a Minshew trade happen, we don't know any details or even if Minshew was available, but I suspect that Minshew was the victim of first round-sixth round bias. That kinda sucks, but it happens much more than even the so-called experts would probably admit (even to themselves).

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Had Darnold been an afterthought 6th round pick like Minshew and performed like he did in NY he would've been lucky to get another shot elsewhere as a primary backup, much less as a starter. Had Minshew been a former #3 overall pick, he would've been very tasty trade bait and the media message surrounding him would've been about how the Jags had failed him and we're moving on from a promising young QB too soon. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

His first camp?? The man been in the league for 3 years already. Blame the Jets all you want, like we’re some first class organization that has a history of building around QBs LOL. 

Don’t be mad at me ability to see the storm before the rain hits my head. 

Tweedle de doo

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Unless there's some other reason they didn't pick Fields (scouts knew something about him the public didn't), you have to throw resources at the QB position until you find your guy. QB is so much higher value than CB it's not even close. If Darnold doesn't pan out this coaching staff might not even be around to try to find the next QB.

Meet tweedle de dumber

Just now, iamhubby1 said:

Meet tweedle de dumber

I don't know about that. If Darnold flops while Fields and/or Jones have success, this staff might be on thinner ice than we think. I'd be willing to bet they'd be on their last swing at QB. If their next one fails while we're still struggling in the W-L column Tepper would probably be wise to move on.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I was firmly entrenched in the "Trade for Minshew" Camp.

Still think he has a chance in the league. 

Minshew has a future as a starter somewhere.  He just has to get away from the Jags first, and I see that happening.

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Had Darnold been an afterthought 6th round pick like Minshew and performed like he did in NY he would've been lucky to get another shot elsewhere as a primary backup, much less as a starter. Had Minshew been a former #3 overall pick, he would've been very tasty trade bait and the media message surrounding him would've been about how the Jags had failed him and we're moving on from a promising young QB too soon. 

i certainly hope our GM, HC, and scouts don’t look at draft position when evaluating free agents or possible trades. that’s fanboy material, nothing more.

4 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

It keeps being brought up that the staff will be on thin ice if Darnold falters while Fields/Jones do well .. how about if Darnold falters and Cam looks like ‘15 Cam again .. but Tepper can’t fire himself

if you know someone who invented time travel, please hook us up 

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The Jags OL and supporting cast really hasn’t been as bad as some think, way better than Darnold had. That’s why I sort of chuckled when some in here think Wilson’s got an easier path than Lawrence. Wilson’s dealing with a fairly empty cupboard unless every pick they made shines. Lawrence has a decent OL, Robinson/Etienne and Marvin Jones/Shenault/Chark. We need to give Darnold a year with an immensely better cast to see what’s what.

Agreed wholeheartedly. 

Minshew, from an offensive standpoint, was in a far superior situation than Darnold ever was. Wilson's supporting cast is suspect at best and I think he will experience some growing pains becuase of it (I am personally VERY high on Wilson as a prospect though).

Darnold really is an unknown at this point. I think Minshew is a more known commodity which is why I wanted him. That and the meme potential. 

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know about that. If Darnold flops while Fields and/or Jones have success, this staff might be on thinner ice than we think. I'd be willing to bet they'd be on their last swing at QB. If their next one fails while we're still struggling in the W-L column Tepper would probably be wise to move on.

Let's examine what was actually said. "If Darnold doesn't pan out this coaching staff might not even be around to try to find the next QB." 

Boom, gone. Just like that. 

You say they  are on thin ice. Which is not the same. Then add, or probably need to move on. Which is the same. So which way are you leaning?

This team was bereft of talent just two short years ago. We now have a nice core of young talent. But yeah, let's jettison the Coach after two years. All because a few (I say few, because there are very few) fans are not happy with how the QB position has worked out.

IMO, When this team has improved so dramatically. It is silly to even hold forth the idea we would drop a Coach after two years.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2