• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DET Acquires Alex Nedeljkovic from CAR for Jonathan Bernier, 3rd-Round Pick

trueblue

Mrazek is once again the #1 goalie.

Of course, Bernier is a complete unknown the last 3 seasons posting a 3.03 GAA while in Detroit with one of the worst teams in the NHL in front of him. But, his numbers are also getting worse with age.

That being said, what's the diff between him and Reimer? They're the same goalie. Reimer is making $3.5M while Bernier was making $3M, so wtf?

https://theathletic.com/2723264/2021/07/22/we-arent-trying-to-save-money-why-the-hurricanes-traded-alex-nedeljkovic-and-what-their-new-plan-is-in-net/?source=emp_shared_article

So I am not going to regurgitate the entire article because I think everyone interested in competent writing and reporting should be subscribing to the Athletic, but here are a few snippets from Sara Civian's latest on today's activities:

1. Arbitration could have gotten weird

“We tried to get a contract done with Ned, and we couldn’t get one done. The agent was playing very hard,” Hurricanes GM Don Waddell said in an exclusive interview with The Athletic on Thursday. “He’s got an arbitration case that (could have paid him) somewhere around $3, $4, $5 million.

2. Committed to winning now

“You probably can’t have two goalies at $3.5 to $4 million. You gotta pay one, then one hopefully on the lesser side,” he said. “And here’s the thing: We aren’t trying to save money — we’re trying to save cap space. That’s the whole idea.

“We’re fortunate to have (owner) Tom (Dundon), who is willing to go to the cap, but now we have to manage the cap and make the right decisions with the money we have.”

3. But what about No. 1?

“I think we’re looking more toward the veteran side of things,” he said. “We’re in a win-now mode, and having a veteran goalie makes the most sense for our franchise right now. So hopefully that’s the direction we end up in.”

“We’ve got some things going on, obviously, but at the end of the day, I think we’re a destination place,” Waddell said. “We’ve got a good defense and an open net. I think we’ve got a spot that’s pretty appealing to a lot of guys.”

• Pie 1