• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Using Some of That 24M**

SetfreexX

As most of you know by now the Moton extension freed up 10M in cap space, putting us in a pretty solid spot financially with 24M available. I think Rhule outlined last off-season that they'd like to carry at least 6-8M into the regular season to account for unforeseen circumstances, so for the sake of argument, let's say we have a functional 17M (average of 6 & 8 is 7). 

Names like Clinton-Dix were already in camp for try-outs, and recently Kawaan Short was cleared and recently featured in a picture with Derrick Brown and Bravvion Roy (see twitter / instagram)

Knowing that DL & S aside from OL are weak points, who out of the available free agents draws the most interest from you?

S - Chinn / Burris / Robinson / Clinton-Dix**

DL - Brown / Jones / Roy / Nixon / Short**

I don't hate those additions as depth / rotational players on 1-yr deals, which is likely any team would offer, while still having youth at those positions*

Available Free Agentshttps://nfltraderumors.co/top-50-2021-nfl-free-agents/

Based on this list, there's a few names that at least stand out to me:

OL -  Okung is better than -- Erving / Little / Scott

IDL - KK Short / Jurrell Casey / Damon Harrison as another space eater

Off Ball LB - KJ Wright (Fitterer ties) / Kwon Alexander / Mychal Kendricks (Fitterer ties)

Edge - Justin Houston / Olivier Vernon / Ezekiel Ansah (Fitterer ties) / Bruce Irvin (Fitterer & CAR ties)

I doubt we spend any of that money on anyone that's available now. IMO our D-line is pretty set (Jones, Brown, Roy, Nixon with Fox and Yetur totatin inside at times and Yetur, Burns, Haynes, Reddick and sometimes Fox and MIller on the edge).

I think if anyone of note is released during roster cut-downs we may pull the trigger on some more O-line help or a safety. WE will definitely shuffle a few players on the bottom of the deph chart probably. We shall see.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

Geez we would have saved a lot of money trying the Jameis Winston experiment over the Teddy B flop.

Pretty sure the outcomes would have been similar, but Jameis would have lost the close games by being too aggressive and making mistakes, where are Teddy checked down and was too soft.

Either ways, about a $30M dollar difference.

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I hope we don’t. That’s a terrible list of players to blow $17M on this year. We aren’t contending for a title so let’s stop talking about throwing away a bunch of cap space on one year deals for depth. If Dix was great, he’d have a deal in place so unless he’s not bad and playing at a minimum contract, no thanks.

This should have been our mantra last year when Tepper preached patience with the process. If the guys we sign aren’t possibly part of the next 3+ years like an Okung or Short, then we have no business wasting money on them, surely not $17M worth. You can rollover unused cap into the next year and we’ve got DJ and Burns coming up soon.  No, just no.

The fact that so many teams in the league are passing on Dix(including us) should basically let everyone know that his career is likely over.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:
4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The fact that so many teams in the league are passing on Dix(including us) should basically let everyone know that his career is likely over.

Some in here would throw Mathieu money at him since we have plenty of cap space now, SMH.

Edited 1 minute ago by stbugs

I'd rather try to entice Malik Hooker to a short term, prove it deal. He's been pretty good when healthy. Problem is, he's only healthy 20% of the time.

OR, hold out to see who gets cut.

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Some in here would throw Mathieu money at him since we have plenty of cap space now, SMH.

Roll with what we have now and attempt to improve next offseason. We should know at this point this is rebuilding. 

Hurney is gone, no reason for Hurneyism to persist.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1

Let's not let that money burn a hole in our pocket right now. There may be some serious needs coming up and there's always a chance a trade might be available wherein we need a few extra bucks stashed away.

And carrying most of it over to next year isn't the worst idea. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

Though I don't think we should bring back these players, I'm also not in the camp of not trying to get good players this year so we can save cap.

The huddle is a fascinating mix of ideas.  On one thread people are calling for Rhule's head because they feel we don't have a LT, on another we have people posting that we shouldn't spend much for one because we're not SB bound.  On one thread people are posting how Rhule is in the hotseat, and on another one we're in cool our jets we're not going to go the distance this year anyway.

Yes, we wasted dollars in 2020,2019,2018,2016 and before that at least every other year on losing seasons.  Why did we spend so much money to lose, when we could have just bargain-basement-ed those years and rolled over so much cap, we'd have to win the SB?  Because it doesn't work that way.

People complain about never having two winning seasons in a row, but then we have this attitude that we're not going the distance anyway, just save your money.

Fk that sht.

Every year we should play to win, that includes player acquisition in the offseason.  We shouldn't sacrifice the long term for the short term, but we shouldn't soft-tank or full on tank  the short term either.