• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Texans now indicate Deshaun Watson is available for trade

Zod

First things first, until the investigation is done you CAN'T make this deal.  Idiotic and desperate if you do, and you'll end up paying the premium price the Texans still seem to want.  I can't imagine a scenario where they actually still get 3 first rounders+, and I doubt any teams will actually offer that right now. 

Trading for a franchise QB around the trade deadline seems like a crazy move, but it also might make the most sense in this scenario.  Say DW is suspended 6 games, serves it, and it gives teams like the Panthers, Dolphins, Eagles, Broncos, etc. time to see if their QB experiment is working or not. 

As for the Panthers, Darnold also has to be part of the trade. If he's not working out here, send him to Houston as their new tank commander and guy they can start next year before their rookie QB takes over. I don't know whether we should be involved or not, but I imagine we will be no matter how people here feel about it.  Getting Watson makes us an almost instant contender, and Tepper is going to like that a lot. 

IF you want DW, hope that Hurts & Tua look good early, and that Darnold & 2 1st rounders gets it done. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Man, I am torn.  I want the Panthers to be great, and this could be the missing piece.  On the other hand, I can't afford massages.  I believe character matters, and I believe in second chances. 

I might low ball the Texans to see what they might take, keep Darnold, and hope he plays well.  Having 2 QBs is great.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Somebody gets it. What was wrong with having Fields AND Darnold? 

Don’t want any part of him on the team. Even if he settles and gets a slap on the wrist, 22 accusations is a pattern, and I couldn’t bring myself to root for this team if we brought someone on who in all likelihood is a rapist, no matter how good they are. fug Deshaun. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

First things first, until the investigation is done you CAN'T make this deal.  Idiotic and desperate if you do, and you'll end up paying the premium price the Texans still seem to want.  I can't imagine a scenario where they actually still get 3 first rounders+, and I doubt any teams will actually offer that right now. 

Trading for a franchise QB around the trade deadline seems like a crazy move, but it also might make the most sense in this scenario.  Say DW is suspended 6 games, serves it, and it gives teams like the Panthers, Dolphins, Eagles, Broncos, etc. time to see if their QB experiment is working or not. 

As for the Panthers, Darnold also has to be part of the trade. If he's not working out here, send him to Houston as their new tank commander and guy they can start next year before their rookie QB takes over. I don't know whether we should be involved or not, but I imagine we will be no matter how people here feel about it.  Getting Watson makes us an almost instant contender, and Tepper is going to like that a lot. 

IF you want DW, hope that Hurts & Tua look good early, and that Darnold & 2 1st rounders gets it done. 

They drafted Davis Mills at the top of the 3rd. I don't think they'd have any interest in Darnold. Might as well give Mills a look and see what the have there.

31 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I respect you guys for saying this--- I was going through some stuff and did not know about the rape--I was thinking only propositions.  Still, some will follow this by saying, "Win at all costs!!!" and it will not bother them--they would want him on the team regardless.  These are the mindsets that put women in these situations--when they glamorize a rapist by trivializing his crimes, they are part of the problem.  Still, those without morality and ethics will not see this logic--they will call us soft because they are so hard core.  Lack the empathy to put their sisters or mothers under him and visualize what that must have been like.

Eh, there were a few people that wanted Vick after he served his suspension for dog fighting too.  People do deserve second chances in certain circumstances, but let some other organization take that risk.  I mean we will always have the Rae Carruth stigma associated with us.  After the Greg Hardy and Jerry, you would think the organization would steer clear of anyone associated with sexual maleficence.  Yes, that would even include franchise QBs.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They drafted Davis Mills at the top of the 3rd. I don't think they'd have any interest in Darnold. Might as well give Mills a look and see what the have there.

True, but Darnold would almost have to be included for us to make the deal work even if he rides the bench for them.  Cap wise the Texans combo of Mills, Darnold, and a 1st round QB would still be less than Watson's salary.  Picking up Darnold's option alone really hurt us in any potential trade. Any scenario where we keep Darnold, means we're looking at what, 55-60 million in QB cap hits in 2022 between Darnold & Watson?  Unless Darnold is part of the trade, I don't know how we pull it off without restructuring a few guys or having little flexibility next offseason. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

True, but Darnold would almost have to be included for us to make the deal work even if he rides the bench for them.  Cap wise the Texans combo of Mills, Darnold, and a 1st round QB would still be less than Watson's salary.  Picking up Darnold's option alone really hurt us in any potential trade. Any scenario where we keep Darnold, means we're looking at what, 55-60 million in QB cap hits in 2022 between Darnold & Watson?  Unless Darnold is part of the trade, I don't know how we pull it off without restructuring a few guys or having little flexibility next offseason. 

Sure, try to get the Texans to take him but honestly we'd probably end up having to flip him for s late round pick like we did with Teddy, exposing ourselves to the reality of his actual market value and how bad we got taken to the cleaners.

• Pie 1

Not interested until his legal issues are resolved and he's taken proactive steps to learn how to treat women.

Throwing some money at charity and a couple of sensitivity classes is not enough to address clear predatory behavior. I'd need to see Deshaun attack his issues head on and be an example of accountability for others to mimic going forward.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, RumHam said:

He'll be under center in September. We won't get him. Give up this pipe dream. Rodgers will be under center too. ESPN just needs click bait stories just like every other year. Get ready for the Kaeperneck rhetoric again. 

My few minutes of sports radio a morning have focused on Rodgers for a month with absolutely nothing new to add other than their complaining that he should tell people his intent.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we had Cam in his prime right now, we'd be talking SB aspirations if the OL could simply be average. Our offensive weapons are elite. Our D is young and talented.

We still lack a significant amount of overall experience. That is an issue, IMO. That applies to the coaches and players, really.

Even if you were to drop Watson into our roster for zero cost, I think we are a little bit away from being a SB caliber team.

If this draft class turns out to be a big hit, I think that will change.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Not interested. They want big compensation and no indication when or if Watson plays again. Plus the negative message it sends to the community that it's ok to violate women, allegedly, as long as you can throw a ball, that's going to be a PR nightmare. 

As much as I want a Star QB, this is the soundest post in this thread. 

• Pie 1