• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton or Samuel.... would you change who got Tepper's bag?

TheBigKat

Now that both are signed by their respective organizations:

Moton's average contract is for 18mil/year x 4 years

Samuel is averaging 11.5 mil / year x 3 years

I take the savings of having to pay Samuel to be able to afford Moton 10/10 times and not look back. Signing Samuel would have been a classic Hurney panic move where allowing him to walk allowed CAR to focus their cap allocation this year on Moton. Give me a Top 5 RT over a gadget playmaking WR any day of the week. In fact I between drafting Marshall and signing Moore you will see way more production out of those two then Samuel would have given you especially with CMC back.

Curious to see others take

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

Samuel is (dare I say it) overrated. He reminded me of Philly Brown, if Brown had put on muscles and was a tad quicker.

This team has not had a starting tackle (left or right) since the departure of Jordan Gross.

So, paying a guy that was behind two 1,000 yard receivers make little to no sense in comparison.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

The surrounding/corresponding moves tell the story.  WR is oddly a strength on this team, after having just the 1 guy for the better part of our existence.  Letting Samuel walk and focussing on Moton is the better allocation of resources.  

Signing Samuel would have meant having Anderson and Samuel making more than DJ and hes #1.  That paints an interesting negotiation for DJ's next deal. Also it would more than likely have kept Moton on his franchise tag.  Those 2 deals would have cost us 1 or more of our FA's: Perryman, Reddick, Arnold or any combo of moves.

We most likely wouldnt have drafted Marshall, and I would wager more of an attempt would have been made to get Sewell. Could not go into the season with neither Tackle spot secured for the future.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t recall too many saying that, but I do recall a lot saying they didn’t want to pay Moton a lot. I will say that you can’t fix stupid.

If we had not signed Moton it would have been one of the Panthers all time big mistakes.

• Pie 2

In the end, we could have had both looking at how the CAP money worked out. We could have had a second round pick used elsewhere than at WR and the replacement for Robby Anderson on staff and experienced going into 2022.

They were just figuring out how to use Samuel in the last half of last season. Having him and CMC out there together this season would have been murder on opposing defenses if Darnold plays well. But, there's no use crying over spilt milk.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, cardiackat88. said:

Samuel is (dare I say it) overrated. He reminded me of Philly Brown, if Brown had put on muscles and was a tad quicker.

This team has not had a starting tackle (left or right) since the departure of Jordan Gross.

So, paying a guy that was behind two 1,000 yard receivers make little to no sense in comparison.

I agree with paying Moton at the expense of Samuel, but comparing Curtis Samuel to Philly Brown is ludicrous. Philly was JAG! If he had muscles and was quicker...he could've been Antonio Brown in his prime 😂. Come on dude, everything has to be put within context. Samuel flashed game changing ability amid being hurt--I mean some amazing elusiveness, and was highly productive the one season where he had a coaching staff that actually knew how to maximize his talents. Philly did not have the speed, dexterity or the overall athleticism of Samuel, and that's why he was never taken seriously as anything more than a WR4-6 by any other franchise in the league. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1