• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers pass-rush grade rankings over L3 seasons

SBBlue

3 minutes ago, Ted Ginn Jr.'s Hands said:

Honestly with Brown and Gross Matos in year 2, Burns turning pressures into sacks with a better secondary, and the signings of Reddick and Jones, I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't crack the top 10.

Derrick Brown gonna get his Brady sack.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's possible. Improved coverage could potentially help a lot. Everyone focuses on how much a pass rush helps a secondary but the reverse is true as well.

exactly^

pass rush needs time to be successfull.

Seems like we have played soft in coverage a lot the past few years and teams have been able to get easy, quick yards against.  I expect us to get up and press a little more this year.

I don't want to put pressure on Horn, because rookies CBs often struggle, but I think is a huge reason we were so high on him.  

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's possible. Improved coverage could potentially help a lot. Everyone focuses on how much a pass rush helps a secondary but the reverse is true as well.

I'm really high on our secondary.  Read a season preview that ranked that position group much lower than I do.  I understand that Jaycee is a rookie, and will get penalties for being handsy but I think Donte will have his breakout year, Chinn is more of a safety now, and that is 3 dadgum good secondary players, especially after a few games of working together.  Bouye is the perfect veteran to lead the group.  We just need to get a free safety.  I know Chinn could play that but I'd like to keep him closer to the ball, and I think the Panthers feel that way too.

And that will help our rush greatly.  Burns is getting credit because of the number of sacks he's had, but his QB pressures are among the best in the league.  And this year, I think he'll have enough time to finish those rushes and get to the passer.  Which will greatly help our young secondary.

With Perryman and Reddick in the second line, man this season is gonna be a statement from our defense.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I'm really high on our secondary.  Read a season preview that ranked that position group much lower than I do.  I understand that Jaycee is a rookie, and will get penalties for being handsy but I think Donte will have his breakout year, Chinn is more of a safety now, and that is 3 dadgum good secondary players, especially after a few games of working together.  Bouye is the perfect veteran to lead the group.  We just need to get a free safety.  I know Chinn could play that but I'd like to keep him closer to the ball, and I think the Panthers feel that way too.

And that will help our rush greatly.  Burns is getting credit because of the number of sacks he's had, but his QB pressures are among the best in the league.  And this year, I think he'll have enough time to finish those rushes and get to the passer.  Which will greatly help our young secondary.

With Perryman and Reddick in the second line, man this season is gonna be a statement from our defense.

I think we're high on potential but we're light on proven NFL performance. We'll see how it works out.

2 hours ago, Ted Ginn Jr.'s Hands said:

Honestly with Brown and Gross Matos in year 2, Burns turning pressures into sacks with a better secondary, and the signings of Reddick and Jones, I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't crack the top 10.

If you think about the starters + the rotation and role players ....we have the chance to be dominate..literally. 

One could argue our depth even have that overacheiving potential.

In fact, one could argue a mix of our second and third string would outperform our 2011 starters... 

Johnson(9 sacks)-Mcclain-Fua-Applewhite/Hardy(4)

Vs..

Haynes/Miller-Daviyon-Braviyon-YGM/Fox 

Am I crazy???..Maybe its the optimism ... but I do know our backups haven't been this good in a while. 2011 was all CJ...this was before Hardy became the double digit Hardy and Applewhite played great 1 game then turned into Weatherly. Mcclain got somewhat better when he left here and Fua was trash. 

Haynes is on an incline(look for him to make a name this year). Fox is Fox, inside & outside dependable, Daviyon was the 3rd best DT out of college this year IMO and our biggest steal of the draft. YGM has a very high ceiling, something alot of fans forget. And Miller is your wildcard...but a wildcard that probably has the 2nd or 3rd best bend around the corner on the team. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Am I crazy???..Maybe its the optimism ... but I do know our backups haven't been this good in a while.

Its optimism.  We really won't know what BC, Brown or Moore can do until preseason.  On paper, the focus appears to be depth and versatility and I think we hit that.  We just need some quality play now.