• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Xavien Howard requests trade

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. If Sam works out, awesome! That's by far the biggest box checked. We're still going to need help at OL, LB, and FS even if everything works to plan.

LT is a big one. Having a legit FS for the first time in what feels like forever would be nice.

I actually don’t think we are as bad at LB as this board makes it sound. It isn’t what it’s historically been, but I think that may be why this board feels it’s a major weakness. Having Morgan, Beason, Luke, Davis, Mills, Greene... we have been spoiled at LB. We are nowhere near that level, but I don’t think we are too far off from league average right now after signing Reddick and Perryman. I think Reddick moves around a lot. On the line and at LB with Matos, Burns, Brown and Jones on the line. That would give us Shaq, Perryman and Reddick at LB situationally. I think we are okay at LB

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

LT is a big one. Having a legit FS for the first time in what feels like forever would be nice.

I actually don’t think we are as bad at LB as this board makes it sound. It isn’t what it’s historically been, but I think that may be why this board feels it’s a major weakness. Having Morgan, Beason, Luke, Davis, Mills, Greene... we have been spoiled at LB. We are nowhere near that level, but I don’t think we are too far off from league average right now after signing Reddick and Perryman. I think Reddick moves around a lot. On the line and at LB with Matos, Burns, Brown and Jones on the line. That would give us Shaq, Perryman and Reddick at LB situationally. I think we are okay at LB

The only time we've ever had a legit true FS were the Deon Grant years IMO. We've historically fielded more SS types (and to be fair, most of them weren't very good either).

I think we're okay at LB this year, but Reddick is on a one year deal and Perryman is on a two year deal that can easily become a one year deal. All those LB and OL signings we made were short term bandaid solutions more so than long term roster building solutions.

• Beer 1

20 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Good onya Mister Howard!!

Kudos for handling yourself like a professional...

...shame that a number of your highest profile peers are unable to hold themselves to a similarly high standard.

21 hours ago, Rags said:

Exactly. He was the highest paid CB at the time.

Don't get me wrong he's great, and I'd love to have him. I get his complaints but that's the nature of the game -- there will always be a new highest paid.

I still followed the NFL hardcore when Howard signed his top money deal. Across anywhere there was agreement of "Who the fug is that, LOLOLLOLOLz, OVERPAID, ????? etc" Guess he forgot ALLLll about that, phins made him the highest paid CB in the whole NFL. Jalen Ramsey got traded for haul and signed the newest top deal, hes the real deal and got none of the reactions Howard did. This is mainly jealous form the phins signing Bryon Jones to higher deal on the same team. Thats the cap increase 8% per year effect along with a great player hitting the open market. Howard needs to check himself before he wrecks himself.......

I'll start this one Gilmore plus _____ for Howard......

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The only time we've ever had a legit true FS were the Deon Grant years IMO. We've historically fielded more SS types (and to be fair, most of them weren't very good either).

I think we're okay at LB this year, but Reddick is on a one year deal and Perryman is on a two year deal that can easily become a one year deal. All those LB and OL signings we made were short term bandaid solutions more so than long term roster building solutions.

Well, there is still a possibility that those 1 year deals can turn into longer term deals. This team seems to be of the mindset that if you can help the team, you can stay. 

This has been at the back of my mind since all these deals started coming in.

On the one hand, the guy isn't totally unreasonable in that supposedly he just wants more of his contract guaranteed rather than more money. On the other hand, it's getting tiring when players sign 5 year contracts that are inevitably going to be front loaded on guarantees and get overshadowed by new contacts resetting the market a few years later as the cap goes way up, and then act like they're way underpaid 2 years into their contract. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, TheProcess said:

This guy signed a new, healthy contract that has him as one of the highest paid corners in the league. Then proceeds to only play 5 games in 2019 (first year of contract), then gets arrested on domestic violence charges before the 2020 season, Dolphins stick by his side through all that, he has a great 2020 season, then turns his back on tge Dolphins because his teammates (Byron Jones) makes more than him. Yikes....I believe he should have at least 2 good seasons in a row before going this route.

An enlightening and fact filled post...

...good onya mate.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Well, there is still a possibility that those 1 year deals can turn into longer term deals. This team seems to be of the mindset that if you can help the team, you can stay. 

This has been at the back of my mind since all these deals started coming in.

It's possible, but most of these guys are at an age where they're nearing the end of their athletic prime and/or have a significant history of injury. Guys like Reddick sign short term to try to leverage a good year into a big payday. I'm sure we tried to get him to agree to more than one year.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A legit FS would be a game changer for us. It would allow our aggressive CBs to cheat routes with a nice safety net and let Chinn roam free as a box safety/hybrid. As good as Sherman was in Seattle, he would be the first to tell you having a Pro Bowl FS and SS behind him really increased his confidence/ability.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

A legit FS would be a game changer for us. It would allow our aggressive CBs to cheat routes with a nice safety net and let Chinn roam free as a box safety/hybrid. As good as Sherman was in Seattle, he would be the first to tell you having a Pro Bowl FS and SS behind him really increased his confidence/ability.

I've been saying it for years. Earl Thomas was the key piece to the Legion of Boom.

I understand what this guy is saying that at the time he signed his contract it was the richest CB deal in the league but now it isnt. The only part i dont agree with is if he gets the new big deal and is the highest paid again, IF he isnt the top rated CB in the league the next year should his pay then be dropped? Since he was the top and wants again paid as the top what if his production slightly falls of the next season? Should his pay then slightly drop off?