• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Xavien Howard requests trade

2 hours ago, Your GFs favorite huddler said:

7CEA8C52-9164-40D1-A02E-1A490CB920B2.thumb.jpeg.7ea73e726df70c003352effaea4bda0a.jpeg

Good onya Mister Howard!!

Kudos for handling yourself like a professional...

...shame that a number of your highest profile peers are unable to hold themselves to a similarly high standard.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

We are still rebuilding. If you don't see that... We cannot be giving away future assets. 

We have what looks like 3 very good CBs. Let's let them play first. If one of them stinks it up. Then we can discuss bringing in another CB. Especially one that is going to put more than a crimp in our Cap.

• Pie 2

So he’s already one of the highest paid CBs and wants more money? He’s already 28 and usually Corners start declining around 30. We just drafted a CB in the first so we would have a lot of money invested in the CB position. We would also be paying him a lot of money when he’s probably going to be declining. We would probably have to give up a lot to get him since CBs are worth a lot. I would say pass.

1 hour ago, Rags said:

Exactly. He was the highest paid CB at the time.

Don't get me wrong he's great, and I'd love to have him. I get his complaints but that's the nature of the game -- there will always be a new highest paid.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I think saying you are just showing up so you don’t get fined because you signed a contract you didn’t understand and then say you will handle yourself like a professional is kind of an oxymoron.

But I do like how he laid things out to be understood.

Problem though. Teams don’t and shouldn’t reward past play it’s a 5 year contract he’s 2 years into. If he has a bad or underperforming year do you think he’ll step up and take a pay cut? Doubtful.

He was the highest paid and not someone else on the team is. That’s business. That’s what professionals put up with. The best players in the NFL are rarely the highest paid year after year. That’s how contracts work, that’s what professionals deal with. Yea the other CB isn’t nearly as good but as someone else said, another player will eventually be the next highest paid.

Now if I am hearing him right and he wants to be paid based on his play, I say sign this man immediately and restructure with a pure incentive laced contract!

Edited by onmyown

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's time to see what we have, not give up future assets. It's feasible that we go into next off-season still needing a QB and a LT. As we well know, those don't exactly grow on trees.

Agreed, and we already gave up our 2nd in this years draft.  I don’t like the idea of giving up a 3rd as well

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Basbear said:

I think we are the wrong team for him, at least this year. Besides he is going to want a extra million for the trade to happen....Panthers got a talented young group thats cheap, lets see how it works out this year..

As much as an experienced decent corner is intriguing, this is probably 100% right. Let's stay the course and keep the money in reserve. 

I hope we don't need to, but there may be a chance we need to grab a QB. 

• Beer 1

42 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yeah, missing that 2nd is going to suck balls if the OL doesn’t have at least two more guys aside from Moton show up as quality starters. That way we use the 1st on a LT, period. Crossing my fingers that Darnold works out. 

Sure, the legitimacy of the OL indirectly affects Darnold, but that 2nd is directly tied to Darnold. He better show better decision making, and a modicum of growth and improvement, regardless of whether the OL ranks top 10 or top 20 (like last season), otherwise, the 1st will turn out being spent on acquiring our future QB. That will suck more.

• Beer 1

This guy signed a new, healthy contract that has him as one of the highest paid corners in the league. Then proceeds to only play 5 games in 2019 (first year of contract), then gets arrested on domestic violence charges before the 2020 season, Dolphins stick by his side through all that, he has a great 2020 season, then turns his back on tge Dolphins because his teammates (Byron Jones) makes more than him. Yikes....I believe he should have at least 2 good seasons in a row before going this route.

• Flames 1

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's time to see what we have, not give up future assets. It's feasible that we go into next off-season still needing a QB and a LT. As we well know, those don't exactly grow on trees.

Yeah, while I’m more optimistic than you about the future, I completely agree here. Especially when he is expressing his want for a pay raise (which he does deserve) and we are still figuring out what we have in a very young secondary. 

Any picks we trade need to be 5th rounders or later at this point. Giving up 2nds and 3rds doesn’t make sense. We’ve taken a gamble on a QB. That already cost us a 2nd. No more trading assets unless they are dirt cheap. And no more massive contracts other than resigning our in house talent until QB is figured out.

• Pie 1

Just now, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Yeah, while I’m more optimistic than you about the future, I completely agree here. Especially when he is expressing his want for a pay raise (which he does deserve) and we are still figuring out what we have in a very young secondary. 

Any picks we trade need to be 5th rounders or later at this point. Giving up 2nds and 3rds doesn’t make sense. We’ve taken a gamble on a QB. That already cost us a 2nd. No more trading assets unless they are dirt cheap. And no more massive contracts other than resigning our in house talent until QB is figured out.

Yep. If Sam works out, awesome! That's by far the biggest box checked. We're still going to need help at OL, LB, and FS even if everything works to plan.