• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fit talking to "2 or 3 players" about extensions

top dawg

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

First two, OK. Robby? That would be a bad move. Isn’t the hope that Smith, Marshall and the other Moore (along with maybe some real TEs in Tremble/Arnold) make it easy to let Robby go for a comp pick?

I would be really disappointed in extending Robby with the amount of college WR talent coming our every year. Spending a lot on your WR2/maybe 3 next year makes little sense.

Donte I wouldn’t mind because he’s relatively cheap right now. If he wanted a lot, you can wait on it and see how Taylor does.

Yeah, on paper Marshall looks like the perfect low cost replacement for Robby. If we extend Robby I don't think that indicates positive expectations for Marshall and/or Shi Smith. We spent two mid-round picks on WRs. Robby is going to require a significant extension. IMO, this is one of those no-brainer roster decisions that the Panthers historically botch. I'm really hoping those types of unforced errors are in our rearview.

38 minutes ago, CRA said:

might be smart to extend him before he heads into his first NFL season that features a QB willing to throw downfield that also doesn't have a blown out shoulder. 

Moore could easily put up some big numbers.   He puts up good numbers with dudes that can't /won't throw downfield. 

Yep. It's be a big risk to let him go into this season without a long-term extension. If we have confidence in Darnold, we better extend Moore right now.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

DJ most certainly. Paradis? I can’t see that one due to age and injury history. We can sign or draft his replacement next year if we haven’t already.

Me either, but I don't see a lot of players on the roster that are extension worthy, or in a good spot to receive on other than DJ, and possible Jackson....maybe.

It's not Jansen, or any of the O line I don't think.  Maybe PJ?

• Beer 1

Moore for certain. 

Anderson, I wouldn't negotiate that until we see if that wasn't a flash in the pan last year. After week 5, Robby didn't post a single 100-yard game and really only 3 over 50 yards. True, this was one of his only 16 game seasons, but either he ran out of gas as the season went on, or teams figured out how to jam him up. Sometime around week 12 we should know what the story is there. 

Donte... yeah, let's get some more games under his belt. He improved a lot last year, and once again, we need a better view of whether that was the ceiling or just the beginning of something better.

Burns, yeah, we need to get that extension signed sooner rather than later. I believe this will be his break out year.

• Beer 3

14 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Moore for certain. 

Anderson, I wouldn't negotiate that until we see if that wasn't a flash in the pan last year. After week 5, Robby didn't post a single 100-yard game and really only 3 over 50 yards. True, this was one of his only 16 game seasons, but either he ran out of gas as the season went on, or teams figured out how to jam him up. Sometime around week 12 we should know what the story is there. 

Donte... yeah, let's get some more games under his belt. He improved a lot last year, and once again, we need a better view of whether that was the ceiling or just the beginning of something better.

Burns, yeah, we need to get that extension signed sooner rather than later. I believe this will be his break out year.

Not much on paying players after 2 years of service, and being that Burns was a 1st rounder we can't until next off season.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I don't see Donte as a priority at all.  He's shown flashes, yes, but he hasn't shown anything resembling the consistent level of play you need from a long term starter.  Sure, I'd have him back, but not as any sort of priority.

DJ Moore has got to be one of the guys.  If he isn't, the entire FO needs to be gotten rid of.  No other way to put that.

I'm sure Burns will get there, but I'm equally sure it's at least a year too soon on him.  We still have a 5th year to pick up on him and keep costs down.  He's technically not a UFA until 2024.  I expect we will pick up his option prior to 2022, and then work out something long term prior to 2023.

Reddick?  Maybe.  We're paying for him for the next few years anyway.  My only concern is the potential that he's getting paid based on one game.  There's a big difference between 7.5 sacks and 12.5 sacks.  And one game is the difference for him.  How do you negotiate that deal?

Robby is a good shout, but I just don't think we can keep both Robby and DJ and still have the money we need in other areas.  I think he's gone unless he agrees to a VERY friendly deal.

As much stick as Paradis gets, there may be legs to this story.  Paradis was not good his first year, but was clearly improved last year.  The biggest issue most folks have with Paradis these days is the same issue folks have with Shaq.  Contract isn't reflecting his performance.  Getting Paradis on a more appropriate deal may well be in the cards.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Ah, just assumed that was a given, but you're probably right. 

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that negotiation though. Does DJ increase his value by NOT signing an extension, or does he push all his chips in now?

For longer term career earnings he'd be wise to bet on himself this year, but many players who are happy where they're at will sign a fair deal before blowing up. He seems like the type of guy who would do the latter.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Let me throw a name out there...

If they think he's improved, Paradis? 

Wouldn't bet on it, but the thought crossed my mind. Could conceivably offer some cap savings and a veteran leader/utility guy on the inside. 

Was my thought as well.  None of the rest, outside of DJ make much sense, unless it's just ST guys or something.