• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fit talking to "2 or 3 players" about extensions

top dawg

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Me either, but I don't see a lot of players on the roster that are extension worthy, or in a good spot to receive on other than DJ, and possible Jackson....maybe.

It's not Jansen, or any of the O line I don't think.  Maybe PJ?

I’m on the fence about Donte Jackson too. Not sure if we’d be better off cost-wise letting him walk in favor of what we have already with Bouye, Pride etc. or wait to upgrade next offseason. 

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Moore for certain. 

Anderson, I wouldn't negotiate that until we see if that wasn't a flash in the pan last year. After week 5, Robby didn't post a single 100-yard game and really only 3 over 50 yards. True, this was one of his only 16 game seasons, but either he ran out of gas as the season went on, or teams figured out how to jam him up. Sometime around week 12 we should know what the story is there. 

Donte... yeah, let's get some more games under his belt. He improved a lot last year, and once again, we need a better view of whether that was the ceiling or just the beginning of something better.

Burns, yeah, we need to get that extension signed sooner rather than later. I believe this will be his break out year.

really hope frit does not take the god awful hurney/gettleman approach of no contract talk/extensions during the season. that approach has let some real talent walk out our doors

46 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Was my thought as well.  None of the rest, outside of DJ make much sense, unless it's just ST guys or something.

When Rhule was throwing out the names of guys he considered to be team leaders in his presser, he mentioned Paradis. 

I don't think Burns is an option for an extension.  Pretty sure a player has to have 3 years of service first.

The Art of the Rookie Extension Deal - Inside The Pylon

Most teams look at extensions one year out from becoming a free agent.  You can extend 2 out, but that is a risky precedence to set, all the players start expecting yet.  An exception to this would be 1st round picks who you have a 5th year option on, so I could see Moore being a possibility.

Notable free agents next year:

Anderson, Jackson, Paradis

Moore seems the most likely, his value will probably only go up.

Anderson maybe a short term extension?

Jackson, sign him before his value goes up if you are confident in his production improving?

Paradis, he has a good bit of dead money next year, you could probably extend him and actually soften the cap hit next year.

7 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I’m on the fence about Donte Jackson too. Not sure if we’d be better off cost-wise letting him walk in favor of what we have already with Bouye, Pride etc. or wait to upgrade next offseason. 

Unless Donte's lawyer just goes ballistic. I would expect DJs offer to be rather reasonable. Of course if he blows up this year, that may change things just a little. But I still wouldn't expect an outlandish offer.

• Beer 1

21 hours ago, DJ feed me moore said:

really hope frit does not take the god awful hurney/gettleman approach of no contract talk/extensions during the season. that approach has let some real talent walk out our doors

21 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think that was just Gettleman. Don't remember Hurney doing that. 

Fitterer addressed this question in his press conference opening camp:

"My philosophy would be when the time's right, who the player is, who the agent is. If it's natural. If it's the right time to do it. I'm not going to say we're never going to talk during the season. I'm not going to say we're always going to talk. It's just kind of a case a case situation."

https://www.facebook.com/112088258804189/videos/371491951160418 - skip to about 12:35

Edited by trueblade
  • Pie 3