• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big game hunting?

I think it could be a good signing. He's scrappy and has a bit of Brad Marchaund in him, a guy you hate to play against but once he's on your team you love him. The dude had 50 points in 19-20 and we got him for a million. Even if he is a problem he can be cut with no real loss. 

But the people over on reddit are having a beyond nuclear meltdown over it. They're claiming they're going to stop supporting the team and that they're all canceling season tickets. Multiple people have claimed they'd rather lose every single game than have DeAngelo on the roster. A mod has now went rogue and is banning accounts including the Hurricanes official account. 

19 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I think it could be a good signing. He's scrappy and has a bit of Brad Marchaund in him, a guy you hate to play against but once he's on your team you love him. The dude had 50 points in 19-20 and we got him for a million. Even if he is a problem he can be cut with no real loss. 

But the people over on reddit are having a beyond nuclear meltdown over it. They're claiming they're going to stop supporting the team and that they're all canceling season tickets. Multiple people have claimed they'd rather lose every single game than have DeAngelo on the roster. A mod has now went rogue and is banning accounts including the Hurricanes official account. 

Did he have any women trouble? Cause Sara Civ the athletic reporter is super against him and I wouldn’t think it’s just cause he’s a trump supporter. 

8 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Did he have any women trouble? Cause Sara Civ the athletic reporter is super against him and I wouldn’t think it’s just cause he’s a trump supporter. 

It's not his politics. It's his use of racial slurs and lack of any remorse he has shown since.

Yes, people can change and deserve a chance to do so. He got that chance and by all accounts, CHOSE not to change. Instead of showing contrition and empathy to those he offended, he has championed himself as some 1st amendment warrior fighting back against the "woke mob."

As others have pointed out, Bear has dealt with racial slurs hurled at him throughout his hockey career. Now, he is teammates with a guy who would be high fiving those douchebags while telling Ethan to "lighten up Francis!"

• Pie 1

Has anyone seen an official statement from the Devils about Dougie?

If not, maybe there are still an outside shot that the Canes throw some more money at him.

There are a lot of moving pieces right now, and with the trades preceding today, it doesn't feel like the Canes are a better team. Time will tell, though, but at the moment I am not optimistic.

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

They're claiming they're going to stop supporting the team and that they're all canceling season tickets. Multiple people have claimed they'd rather lose every single game than have DeAngelo on the roster. A mod has now went rogue and is banning accounts including the Hurricanes official account. 

It's not just Reddit. Fans everywhere are pissed about this signing. I've already seen smaller local sponsors pulling out and cancelling luxury boxes/season tix.

Before we signed DeAngelo, I had already said I wouldn't spend another dime on this team until TD is gone, and I stand by that. At this point, I don't think a team boycott is enough. Hit Dundon where it really hurts, the sponsors.

If there is any one thing the era of cancel culture has brought to the forefront, it is the collective power of consumers to affect change

Marley Drug, Carolina Ale House, Raleigh Screen Print, Atrium Health, PNC Bank, SAS... put em all on notice!

11 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

It's not just Reddit. Fans everywhere are pissed about this signing. I've already seen smaller local sponsors pulling out and cancelling luxury boxes/season tix.

Before we signed DeAngelo, I had already said I wouldn't spend another dime on this team until TD is gone, and I stand by that. At this point, I don't think a team boycott is enough. Hit Dundon where it really hurts, the sponsors.

If there is any one thing the era of cancel culture has brought to the forefront, it is the collective power of consumers to affect change

Marley Drug, Carolina Ale House, Raleigh Screen Print, Atrium Health, PNC Bank, SAS... put em all on notice!

I don't think it's going to work. Waddell has commented on it still in support of DeAngelo. If anything Dundon will just start claiming the team can't make money here and start threatening that Houston move. 

I can't even blame Waddell. I'm guessing this is a desperation move trying to replace some of the production that has vanished over the last few weeks.

Hurricanes’ signing of DeAngelo, reported interest in Virtanen demonstrates hypocrisy

The whole thing is worth the read.

Highlights...

Sports as a whole are much more than just teams and players. The communities that they foster mean as much if not more than the results on the field or court because no matter who you are or where you come from, you can find belonging in them. It’s how long-suffering franchises still maintain loyalty despite it all.

It’s how the Canes made it through a decade with no playoffs and it’s part of the reason why people were so happy to see the team return to relevance.

It’s a team that’s felt like a family, from the players on the ice, up into the stands and out to everywhere within the community.

Simply put, it’s an organization that fans have been proud to claim as their own.

“We’re trying to build a culture here. We want 20 guys here that get it and fit. If that guy doesn’t fit, we don’t want him.” Those were head coach Rod Brind’Amour’s words, spoken just a few months ago after he signed his contract extension with the Canes.

But words mean little in the face of action, and right now, it’s clear that the words from the Hurricanes are ringing hollow.

The team took a pledge with Black Girl Hockey to “Get Uncomfortable” by disrupting racism on and off the ice and make hockey welcoming. How is enabling a player who was suspended for hurling slurs at a teammate in line with that?

DeAngelo was suspended in the OHL for violating the league’s harassment, abuse and diversity policy resulting from a slur directed at a teammate.

DeAngelo was also twice suspended for abuse of an official, once in the OHL and once with the Arizona Coyotes.

DeAngelo ultimately was waived and assigned to the taxi squad as the Rangers pursued a trade for what amounted to the entirety of the shortened 2021 season after he got into a physical altercation with goaltender Alexandar Georgiev. At-the-time GM Jeff Gorton said he had played his last game as a Ranger. He was subsequently bought out by the team at the end of the season.

The signing of DeAngelo embodies everything that the Carolina Hurricanes have seemingly stood against and treating them as simply cheap options to upgrade the team is indefensible.

19 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Heard that same story after Steve Smith punched a teammate.

Heard the same story from the Caps fans over Tom Wilson's on ice thug life.

Heard the same when Tom Brady played golf with Trump.

Bingo.

Dude said some racist poo before, fought a teammate, probably rubbed ownership the wrong way....yet, Slavin and Jordan both said they want him, Marc Staal apparently had a talk with Rod about him, and a few others. They vetted this move.

Saying this guy's irredeemable because he said some stupid poo and doubled down on his right to say whatever he wants is whatever. The only questions that matter now are, 1) are you going to be a problem for us right now, on the ice or in the locker room? 2) are you gonna be able to handle everybody, including fans, hating you until you prove you've changed or at least aren't going to be a douchenozzle anymore? 3) can you play and produce?

Anybody taking some moral stand on this need to take a look in the mirror. I never fought a teammate or called a man a racial slur, but there's poo I ain't proud of and we all got something. If he's an asshole while employed by the Canes, cut him with a fug you very much and go fug yourself. If he's not, hey, it's 1 year and he either earns another contract or he is a stop gap for a long term solution. Win either way.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Everybody hates Marchand. And would take him in a second.

6 hours ago, lightsout said:

yet, Slavin and Jordan both said they want him, Marc Staal apparently had a talk with Rod about him, and a few others. They vetted this move.

Rod, Jordo and Slavs all stood by during the Jordan saga as well. They have been given a pass, mostly, until this point. No doubt, due in some part to the teams' vocal support of changing the culture of hockey.

The pr and media staff on this team have been working overtime to change the idea of what a hockey fan looks like. And I do believe they are genuine in their convictions. How do you think they feel about the message this signing sends?

6 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Technically, TDA would be Ken Lucas in this scenario.

Wilson should not be in the NHL.

Literally nobody cared about this. #CancelPawPatrol

Interesting that nobody on here has compared him to another former first round pick who used a racial slur towards a teammate, was punched by another and was subsequently run out of town by the entire team...

hint

• Pie 1