• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Week 1 opponent top 2 QBs yet to practice

ncfan

17 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I gotta admit I don't get it.  It's a rookie contract . . . what is there to negotiate?  It's all in the CBA.

Offset language (basically allowing the team to void all his guarantees if he's punished by the league for any reason). It's very rare for teams to cave on this, but Jacksonville notably did for Lawrence this year. The Jets have never caved on this and maintain a stance that they never will because if they do it for 1 player it could open the door to every other draft pick they have in the future pushing for it and saying "well Wilson got it, why can't I?" Wilson looks at it and is probably thinking Lawrence didn't have offset language and why should his guaranteed money be at the mercy of a ridiculous league that can screw players over as they see fit at times.

Most notable hold out due to this was Joey Bosa with the Chargers, he held out well into training camp I believe. Don't remember the exact resolution but I think the Chargers upped his upfront signing bonus in exchange for him agreeing to have the offset language in the contract.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

31 minutes ago, t96 said:

Offset language (basically allowing the team to void all his guarantees if he's punished by the league for any reason). It's very rare for teams to cave on this, but Jacksonville notably did for Lawrence this year. The Jets have never caved on this and maintain a stance that they never will because if they do it for 1 player it could open the door to every other draft pick they have in the future pushing for it and saying "well Wilson got it, why can't I?" Wilson looks at it and is probably thinking Lawrence didn't have offset language and why should his guaranteed money be at the mercy of a ridiculous league that can screw players over as they see fit at times.

Most notable hold out due to this was Joey Bosa with the Chargers, he held out well into training camp I believe. Don't remember the exact resolution but I think the Chargers upped his upfront signing bonus in exchange for him agreeing to have the offset language in the contract.

Too add to what you said, Offset language stops the Team from paying you while another team is paying you. So if Wilson were to be cut with 4 million remaining on his deal, then he signs a new deal with another team for 1 million, The Jets would only owe him 3 Million while the new team would owe him 1. It's a way for the team to protect themselves financially, but I honestly don't blame Wilson at all. 

Someone did the math and the likelihood of Wilson being cut year 4 just for poor performance/off field issues would have the team still on the hook for pennies on the dollar of the overall contract. 

If you think you have a franchise QB, you don't leave offset language in the contract. They are being incredibly stupid and stubborn and showing everyone why the Jets have sucked so much for so long.

Wilson holds the leverage here. 

• Pie 6

Just now, Ricky Spanish said:

Too add to what you said, Offset language stops the Team from paying you while another team is paying you. So if Wilson were to be cut with 4 million remaining on his deal, then he signs a new deal with another team for 1 million, The Jets would only owe him 3 Million while the new team would owe him 1. It's a way for the team to protect themselves financially, but I honestly don't blame Wilson at all. 

Someone did the math and the likelihood of Wilson being cut year 4 just for poor performance/off field issues would have the team still on the hook for pennies on the dollar of the overall contract. 

If you think you have a franchise QB, you don't leave offset language in the contract. Wilson holds the leverage here. 

Though do note--The majority of the league doesn't budge on this and the NYJ won't cave.  They are one of 30 teams that simply don't do contracts without offset language.

Wilson is using the leverage likely for a bigger signing bonus upfront.  All at the expense of valuable time w/ the team and dragging this into the public eye.  Just an odd way to start out.  Strikes me as a pretty picky upfront signing tactic but whatever floats his boat.    

• Pie 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, BrianS said:

I gotta admit I don't get it.  It's a rookie contract . . . what is there to negotiate?  It's all in the CBA.

Lol exactly. Just stupid. Did he get his cousin friend who is an expert on Madden to represent him?