• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will winning cure all Panthers ills?

Zod

I'll start getting excited if Sam is looking good at the end of October. I need to see him having success after teams get ample film of him playing in our system. There was a lot of excitement around these parts last year after we went on a three win streak to get to 3-2 but I never bought it. QBs often look good in new surroundings until opposing DCs get film to study and that's where the rubber meets the road. If Sam doesn't look good early with our weapons and the benefit of surprise... oh wee mayne. If he's still looking good after 5-6 games that's when I'll start to believe we might actually have something.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'll start getting excited if Sam is looking good at the end of October. I need to see him having success after teams get ample film of him playing in our system. There was a lot of excitement around these parts last year after we went on a three win streak to get to 3-2 but I never bought it. QBs often look good in new surroundings until opposing DCs get film to study and that's where the rubber meets the road. If Sam doesn't look good early with our weapons and the benefit of surprise... oh wee mayne. If he's still looking good after 5-6 games that's when I'll start to believe we might actually have something.

Great point.

I’m not going to get too excited until 9 wins. The front half of our schedule is too soft and I’ve seen too many good starts fall flat with this team. Our schedule has “last month collapse” written all over it.

I’ll watch and be optimistic, but there are too many question marks. Plus, I’ve been hurt before. I’m a Panthers fan.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Ornias said:

No. Consistent winning would. We are all tired of good, bad, great, bad, good cycle this team has been in since inception. 

Please don't talk for me. I'm a big boy, with big boy thoughts. Mkay?

I'm already excited. Starting 4-0 would only be icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

No. Going to take some continued success, as we've seen plenty of hot/cold over the past 20 years of Panthers football and the last 2.5 years have left a really bad taste.

How many times must this be said? "This ain't your daddy's Panthers." This teams history is only 1 year old. Going on the terrible twos.

The first four games isn't even a quarter of the season any more, it's certainly not enough to make the hype real.  I'd prefer that we temper expectations especially early on, otherwise we end up with threads like "TedDy cAnT thRoW DeEp" or elevating Kyle Allen to sainthood.

We should hope that our defense learns to stop the run, then get off the field on third down.  We should hope CMC stays healthy and returns to form.  We should hope for Darnold to declare himself as either a legit NFL QB or a real bust.

I'll be ecstatic this year if we can finish 8-9 / 9-8 while winning some close games.  Anything beyond that would be miraculous.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Please don't talk for me. I'm a big boy, with big boy thoughts. Mkay?

How many times must this be said? "This ain't your daddy's Panthers." This teams history is only 1 year old. Going on the terrible twos.

Have to say that your first sentence is very ironic considering that you immediately turn around and patronize me in a similar manner.

A sample size of one is worthless, especially since Tepper's first years were indeed more of the same. Lots of promise, yes, but a few more games prove nothing. 

Edited by KSpan

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

Better than starting 0-4! But for real this team started 6-2 in 2018, 5-3 in 2019, and 3-2 in 2020. So I put zero stock into how this team starts.

And also in 2013 and 2014 we started terribly but still made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs both years... The start is obviously important to a degree but we need to win games in the middle and end of the season, which we haven't done the last 3 years.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, t96 said:

And also in 2013 and 2014 we started terribly but still made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs both years... The start is obviously important to a degree but we need to win games in the middle and end of the season, which we haven't done the last 3 years.

Agreed. I distinctly remember (because they were absurd) posts here back in 2013 saying that the season opener vs Seattle was "the biggest game in franchise history" and that losing that game would be a linchpin moment dooming the franchise for years to come... then the team lost 2 more of the next 3. We all know how that season turned out over the next 12 games.