• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will winning cure all Panthers ills?

Zod

4 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Yeah, I'm going to judge Rhule on what HE ACTUALLY DOES. Not what past regimes have done.

Yes, last year was a losing season. Rhule's first. I will wait to see how this goes before I start saying "Same ol Panthers" You, and a whole lot of Huddlerz, for some reason, wish to start comparing already.

Again, going by what he has done, Rhule hasn't done a lot except have a losing record. All the team building, chemistry, player-coach relationships, etc doesn't matter if it doesn't translate into wins. And that is something that is the same ol Panthers so far.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

You are not taking it seriously, but you brought it up again? Again, lighten up. It's just football.

Judging Rhule on anything but what HE has done is kinda unfair to him. But hey, that hasn't seem to bother too many folks around here. Blame the past regimes. Not Rhule.

This ain't your daddy's Panthers.

Last year's overall results were pretty much 'your daddy's Panthers', to use your own words. A couple of wins to start this year doesn't change that.

There is promise, sure, but neither Rhule nor Tepper have actually accomplished anything yet to judge them otherwise. You make it sound like he's done something... but he hasn't. The rubber is now meeting the road and the jury is still out. Which is what I and others are actually judging him on by wanting a larger sample. Objectivity does not equal negativity.

You're giddily optimistic, and that's fine - more power to you. But folks having a bar higher than 4 wins over 4 teams that were horrible last year and/or lost an HOF QB and is now starting the upgraded The Golden Calf of Bristol 2.0 in his place, which was again the question posed in this thread, is a valid opinion. 

On 7/28/2021 at 4:12 PM, Zod said:

Let's say the Carolina Panthers come out this season and start off 4-0 in convincing fashion. Not close wins. Not flukes. They come out and win in all phases of the game. 

At that point, will your excitement level be that of a playoff football team once again?

Sort of. We have all been fooled by legacy Panthers teams. I will say that starting out beating the poo out of four straight teams should get blood flowing to any Panthers fans loins. However, given franchise history, it would be wise to douse our swollen members in some ice water until we can sustain that success.

Jokes aside, that is the thing I remember most about the 2015 season. It was so surreal that I just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop during the regular season. It almost felt like some sort of dream.

By playoff time, I was convinced we were easily the best team in the NFL. Honestly, I felt the same way post-Super Bowl. IMO, that was the worst team we faced all playoffs.

3 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Does a bear poo in the woods?

Nobody plays sports for anything other than dubs. And if they dont. They're just a loser.

Yes but only some bears use that super soft toilet paper. Hoping we start pooing behind the right trees.

3 hours ago, KSpan said:

Last year's overall results were pretty much 'your daddy's Panthers', to use your own words. A couple of wins to start this year doesn't change that.

There is promise, sure, but neither Rhule nor Tepper have actually accomplished anything yet to judge them otherwise. You make it sound like he's done something... but he hasn't. The rubber is now meeting the road and the jury is still out. Which is what I and others are actually judging him on by wanting a larger sample. Objectivity does not equal negativity.

You're giddily optimistic, and that's fine - more power to you. But folks having a bar higher than 4 wins over 4 teams that were horrible last year and/or lost an HOF QB and is now starting the upgraded The Golden Calf of Bristol 2.0 in his place, which was again the question posed in this thread, is a valid opinion. 

Come on man. All that is fine. IF you want to talk about PAST REGIMES. This staff is in their SECOND NFL Season. They don't have enough history to judge them. 

We went from abysmal, to almost decent, to...Let's see.

Let go of your fear of past regimes. And embrace the new Sheriff in town.

If, and when, things fall apart. Then we can circle the wagons.

4 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Again, going by what he has done, Rhule hasn't done a lot except have a losing record. All the team building, chemistry, player-coach relationships, etc doesn't matter if it doesn't translate into wins. And that is something that is the same ol Panthers so far.

Rhule took over a team that most Panther fans thought was talentless. Now, 1 year later. There is talk of Playoffs. Let me repeat that. This is Rhule's second year. 

And you want to complain? 

I broke my own rule. Never feed the Trolls. So this convo is over.

7 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Come on man. All that is fine. IF you want to talk about PAST REGIMES. This staff is in their SECOND NFL Season. They don't have enough history to judge them. 

We went from abysmal, to almost decent, to...Let's see.

Let go of your fear of past regimes. And embrace the new Sheriff in town.

If, and when, things fall apart. Then we can circle the wagons.

I agree completely that there has been a lot of change, and also agree that there were some pretty positive signs last year. I was especially pleased to see them move on so quickly from mistakes and make on-field switches like benching Whitehead and cutting Apple, things that we never really saw in the past. Encouraging stuff. 

The premise of the question though was if winning the first 4 in quality fashion would be enough to get you (me in this case) to effectively believe this is a playoff team/reach that level of excitement. for you that answer is yes, and more power to you. My answer though, and that of many others as well, at this exact moment is no, largely because we've seen such streaks time and again. It's not enough to look like things are different; they need to show longer-term results backing up that things truly are different. That's not an unfair metric IMO. 

With that said though we're only at the start of camp. This team could show some crazy development and I may change my tune at that time if the performance warrants it. For now though the burden is on the ownership and staff to keep doing what they say they're going to do and for that to yield tangible results worthy of increased excitement.

On 7/30/2021 at 1:30 AM, jayboogieman said:

I tend to believe Tepper will deliver in grand fashion over the longhaul but 3-years* in your "same ol' Panthers" assessment is right on the money...

...17-31 in the Tepper era, 14-games under .500.

*NOTE:  He took control over the team in July of 2018 so not really fair to hang that season on him...but, he was the owner.

2 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

I tend to believe Tepper will deliver in grand fashion over the longhaul but 3-years* in your "same ol' Panthers" assessment is right on the money...

...17-31 in the Tepper era, 14-games under .500.

*NOTE:  He took control over the team in July of 2018 so not really fair to hang that season on him...but, he was the owner.

Ive been trying to get most to realize Trepper could not fire everyone 1 month form TC start while you are holding mini camps/OTAs. My guess is Richardson did the final "sale' on that date for the reason being you couldnt fire people. RR is a very likable person and Herniay is in the running for best ass-kisser in milky way history. Trepper was new to everyday NFL ownership and Herniay cast his spells. RR sold him on "100% health" better mechanical Cam and fixing the D by running an 3-4 hybrid.  

I would have fell for that impressive trap, I dont blame Trepper ANY for his pass judgement. He has his bearings now. At first was not a big believer in his choice of Rhule, but Ive been very impressed with how he handled what was the toughest start in NFL to any coach's career. Now that Rhule is able to coach in person at a training camp, I see more of what Trepper already knew. Rhule is building something...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Ive been trying to get most to realize Trepper could not fire everyone 1 month form TC start while you are holding mini camps/OTAs. My guess is Richardson did the final "sale' on that date for the reason being you couldnt fire people. RR is a very likable person and Herniay is in the running for best ass-kisser in milky way history. Trepper was new to everyday NFL ownership and Herniay cast his spells. RR sold him on "100% health" better mechanical Cam and fixing the D by running an 3-4 hybrid.  

I would have fell for that impressive trap, I dont blame Trepper ANY for his pass judgement. He has his bearings now. At first was not a big believer in his choice of Rhule, but Ive been very impressed with how he handled what was the toughest start in NFL to any coach's career. Now that Rhule is able to coach in person at a training camp, I see more of what Trepper already knew. Rhule is building something...

Now, don't take this personally. But there is only 1 r in Tepper. lol

• Beer 1

I'm one to give us a reset on the back to back winning season narrative.  This is a new regime with a new owner.  The days of Fox and Rivera are gone and so should the whining about back to back winning seasons.

If Rhule and Co. come out and have a winning season I won't be crying about waiting until 2023 for another winning season.  I believe we'll continue that success.

If we start 4-0 It will give this team some great confidence for the rest of the season.   IMO it all lies on our O-Line and Darnold.  If the O-line gels together and Darnold limits the mistakes we'll score enough points to win.   Our defense is going to keep us in games and might even win one or two. 

• Pie 1