• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp observations: Jeremy Chinn is making plays

7 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

This young man has TDjr written all over him

I hope he sticks at safety instead and becomes the best safety we've ever had. No disrespect intended to Mike Minter, but it wouldn't be a terribly high bar to clear. Minter was a good safety, don't get me wrong. But he's so revered by Panthers fans in large part because outside of him our safety history is largely straight trash.

• Pie 8

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope he sticks at safety instead and becomes the best safety we've ever had. No disrespect intended to Mike Minter, but it wouldn't be a terribly high bar to clear. Minter was a good safety, don't get me wrong. But he's so revered by Panthers fans in large part because outside of him our safety history is largely straight trash.

We’ve never had a true playmaker back there. Minter was very good all around and a leader. Coleman had some picks largely from scheme and upfront pressure. Mitchell brought some attitude and energy. None was elite and none of them really went out on their own to create big plays. We’ve already seen a taste of Chinn doing that from a different position. I’m very hopeful and optimistic that he will be the safety that we’ve all been yearning for year-in, year-out.

• Pie 2

We've had some decent safeties at times, but never for long.  Kurt Coleman was good for a year and a half.  Mike Mitchell was pretty good.  But we've never had a career safety better than Minter, and Minter was merely good.

Regardless of what position he plays, I hope Chinn is here a long time and fulfills the promise he's shown so far.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

We've had some decent safeties at times, but never for long.  Kurt Coleman was good for a year and a half.  Mike Mitchell was pretty good.  But we've never had a career safety better than Minter, and Minter was merely good.

Regardless of what position he plays, I hope Chinn is here a long time and fulfills the promise he's shown so far.

Don’t forget the great Marlon McCree who cashed in on his success here and went on to ruin the Chargers chances for a SB. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yup. Deon Grant is next on the list IMO with 3 solid years alongside Minter, and then a bunch of random one-year wonders like Mitchell, Coleman, Harris, McCree, and even Maxie; Cota and Terrell maybe had 2 decent years each. The WR position has been barren too but at least has Smitty and Moose to fall back on.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Yup. Deon Grant is next on the list IMO with 3 solid years alongside Minter, and then a bunch of random one-year wonders like Mitchell, Coleman, Harris, McCree, and even Maxie; Cota and Terrell maybe had 2 decent years each. The WR position has been barren too but at least has Smitty and Moose to fall back on.

Chris Harris was a beast though.  I remember several games against the Giants where he went toe-to-toe with Brandon Jacobs.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

10 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Yep. Add OT too. 

2 hours ago, Tommy Jone said:

Chris Harris was a beast though.  I remember several games against the Giants where he went toe-to-toe with Brandon Jacobs.

This. Loved the Hitman. But he was more of a LB playing Safety heh