• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on QB (Darnold) & my translation.

top dawg

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Just because you don’t endorse it doesn’t make it discredited. 

and it in real time it was discussed.  Back when I supported going after Sam Darnold because of the corner Carolina was backed into (they made it impossible to keep Teddy and the talk at that time was all QBs could be gone).   

You insisted Darnold was only insurance and we'd take Fields if he fell to us. 

He did.

We didn't. 

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Rhule might be starting to get it. It's a QB driven league, period. You either have a QB who allows you to compete or you don't have a chance at winning championships. There is no gray area. Gray area is purgatory.

Hopefully Sam works out but I'd he doesn't, we're gonna swing BIG on our next QB.

Ummmmm D. WATSON!!!

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He did.

We didn't. 

maybe you have me confused.  I wanted Fields.  I thought that was the correct call if he fell despite them already being forced into Darnold.    That’s different. 

and you can go find my posts talking about my fear of the newly acquired Seattle GM drafting Horn.  Which he did.  And that remains not a diss of Horn himself.    It remains a diss of the Rhule era which has handled the QB scenario poorly under Rhule.  Which wasn’t a thought that came about post draft. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He did.

We didn't. 

Actually I don't remember many people saying we would.  A lot of people said we should, but not that we would.  Two totally different things but you never seemed to be able to separate the two because you kept pushing your own narrative.

55 minutes ago, CRA said:

maybe you have me confused.  I wanted Fields.  I thought that was the correct call if he fell despite them already being forced into Darnold.    That’s different. 

This wasn't you? 

Sam is just a lotto ticket to get them through the 2021 season IMO.  Not much more.   Everyone in that FO knows we need a future QB and you don't stop looking because you were forced into going the Darnold route this season.

they brought him in for a year to kick the tires.  see what is there.  we got nothing else going on.  I'm cool with that.  

this narrative we are all in on Darnold as anything more than the above, should draft around Sam being our QB, etc is what I ain't buying.

I'm saying this franchise is actively looking for their future franchise QB.  That Sam is a one year lotto ticket.  They are going to scratch the ticket and see what it is.  And I agreed with kicking Sam's tires.  Why not

Albert Breer has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it

You had these and other takes in that thread...pretty much all of them wrong. 

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

See, here's a good chance to illustrate that "fact vs opinion" thing...

What we were willing to offer for Stafford was our first round pick plus a later round pick. Whether or not that constitutes "giving up the farm" is a matter of opinion but I think most folks would probably say "no".

Shortly after that , we called the Jets about Darnold. Their response was that they weren't deciding anything until they'd had a chance to evaluate all the available prospects but they'd keep in touch if they went that direction. 

As to Watson, that never rose above the level of speculation and rumor. The only thing of any substance that was ever reported was that we were interested in general, but since the Texans weren't listening to offers we weren't pursuing anything.

You see, when you read the actual reports, you don't have to dream up scenarios. 

Offering a top 10 pick for Stafford while we had multiple other glaring needs was an all in move if there ever was one. Luckily he saved us from ourselves and wasn't interested in coming here. I don't know why you're so keen on changing history here but whatever floats your boat. Carolina did everything but put up a billboard. They may have released it all through anonymous sources but they were strongly interested in Watson. Sam Darnold was always the fallback plan. And that's fine. We don't need to rewrite how it all went down to justify anything. If Sam works out great if not the new front office will go hard after someone else. They have shown a clear willingness to do so despite the smug revisionist history being applied here tonight.

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Offering a top 10 pick for Stafford while we had multiple other glaring needs was an all in move if there ever was one. Luckily he saved us from ourselves and wasn't interested in coming here. I don't know why you're so keen on changing history here but whatever floats your boat. Carolina did everything but put up a billboard. They may have released it all through anonymous sources but they were strongly interested in Watson. Sam Darnold was always the fallback plan. And that's fine. We don't need to rewrite how it all went down to justify anything. If Sam works out great if not the new front office will go hard after someone else. They have shown a clear willingness to do so despite the smug revisionist history being applied here tonight.

The idea that stuff coming from actual sources vs fan speculation is "revisionist" has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen on here 😄

Stafford never said he wasn't interested in coming here. There was talk that he preferred the west coast but no confirmation he'd have sunk a deal elsewhere. What actually kept us from getting him was the Rams making a better offer. 

And again, the "all in on Watson" thing never rose above the level of rumor. It wasn't "released" anonymously or otherwise.

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

BIG difference between college and NFL in this regard. The much more even talent parity in the NFL compared to college puts a bigger influence on the QB position and play calling compared to college. The Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States, Oklahomas, etc. of college are  head and shoulders more talented than their competition in college week in and week out. That just doesn't happen in the NFL. Rhule made a living in college beating unranked teams. He had an abysmal rating vs. top 25 teams. I'm hopeful about Rhule, but I'm not even close to pretending that he's a slam dunk to succeed in the NFL.

Wasn't he hired for how fast he could turn a team around by being a great talent evaluator? What are the records of Temple and Baylor this century against top 25 teams? Who in their right mind expects either to beat a top 25 team on any given Saturday? The great majority of teams in his conferences will always be unranked, so how does your point have any meaning? since who else could be beat? Of course there is no reason to expect him to be a slam dunk success in the NFL, though his skills at assembling talent could result in winning despite any skills he may or may not have at actual coaching.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

This wasn't you? 

Sam is just a lotto ticket to get them through the 2021 season IMO.  Not much more.   Everyone in that FO knows we need a future QB and you don't stop looking because you were forced into going the Darnold route this season.

they brought him in for a year to kick the tires.  see what is there.  we got nothing else going on.  I'm cool with that.  

this narrative we are all in on Darnold as anything more than the above, should draft around Sam being our QB, etc is what I ain't buying.

I'm saying this franchise is actively looking for their future franchise QB.  That Sam is a one year lotto ticket.  They are going to scratch the ticket and see what it is.  And I agreed with kicking Sam's tires.  Why not

Albert Breer has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it

You had these and other takes in that thread...pretty much all of them wrong. 

Pretty much all of that I still agree with.  That’s what we did in large part.   In that moment.  You are taking one post in a vaccum and choosing to ignore the rest of the conversation. And people in the building were lobbying for Fields.  Time goes on and you adjust. 

what you leave out are all the other posts.  Which talks about how Rhule and company look if they make the right call (IMO) of drafting the QB who ended up falling in their laps….it draws even more attention to the poor job they have done with the QB spot.  They discover Teddy has almost no value. He is going to be a massive black eye. 

Because Fields would have fallen in their laps….and everyone would be looking at them paying millions for Teddy to play in Den and the draft picks pointlessly given up for Sam in hindsight.  And now you have to actually bring in another real vet to work with Fields.  And I firmly believe passing on Fields as just the FO trying to save a little face in the short term. 

and my take/fear of them passing on Fields and taking Horn the week of the draft was exactly what happened.  

They are called opinions and views.  People can have them.  I think Michael Jordan was actually punished  by the NBA when he “took a year off” to play baseball in his prime and immediately came back to win 3 more rings.  Bulls and NBA PR didn’t say that.   They would say no way.  That’s crazy.  Well, organizations only tell the public what they want to tell them…and the league and world back then was different. 

You seem to struggle with people parading their own hot takes on sports….as testifying in court on some matter of importance.   It’s not that serious.   And half the fun of it. 

19 hours ago, hepcat said:

Still mystified this team didn't pick Justin Fields. Darnold is by no means a sure thing, neither is Fields, but it would have given this team two young, CHEAP QB's to battle it out and hopefully one of them would have emerged. QB is infinitely more important to win than CB. 

We'd have an Ohio State and a USC QB-what could possibly go wrong?

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Listening to a fan who doesn't have access over insiders who do doesn't exactly strike me as "logic". 

I get that you want to be taken seriously and thought of as smart, but this isn't a good path to that. 

And what exactly did I say that was wrong? Or not possible?
You take your tweets and you apply that logic about one scenario and apply that logic over all other scenarios that is doesn’t even apply to.

What if the asking price to move to 3 would have been agreeable? Do you honestly believe we would have still traded for Darnold?  I can’t say for 100% we would have, and you can’t either but you won’t admit that.  You will just keep repeating the same “sources” narrative that you do, even though those sources haven’t really even talked about that scenario. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

They are the ones that are often fed information that the team wants you to hear .

like Panther PR post draft where everything that happened was exactly what they wanted and everyone agreed on it all. 

despite following the NFL for decades and knowing that stuff rarely plays out like that. Teams want different guys.  Some people win.  Some lose in those battles.   Everyone is rarely happy. 

Joe Brady ain’t looking at the last 2 drafts and going…yep, masterful work. Nor are a lot of other guys.   Is Phil Snow? Maybe. I would be if I were him.