• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on QB (Darnold) & my translation.

top dawg

33 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, there have been reports that draft jockeying directly related to the Saints and Panthers have been a thing!

Oh, no doubt with the Stevens saga and all. Divisional rivals are divisional rivals. I was referring to more out there claims such as them resting starters to hurt our draft position in 2018.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:
35 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

tenor.gif

Hurney hurnies another contract.

some huddlers: Its Rhule's fault!

This is just silly. Matt Rhule has maybe a handful of consistent critics here 

You're right.   It is silly to criticize Rhule for the Bridgewater contract

and  there are a handful of Rhule consistent critics here.   They just post a lot.  Half my posts are to refute their BS.

Edited by SBBlue

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Pretty much all of that I still agree with.  That’s what we did in large part.   In that moment.  You are taking one post in a vaccum and choosing to ignore the rest of the conversation. And people in the building were lobbying for Fields.  Time goes on and you adjust. 

what you leave out are all the other posts.  Which talks about how Rhule and company look if they make the right call (IMO) of drafting the QB who ended up falling in their laps….it draws even more attention to the poor job they have done with the QB spot.  They discover Teddy has almost no value. He is going to be a massive black eye. 

Because Fields would have fallen in their laps….and everyone would be looking at them paying millions for Teddy to play in Den and the draft picks pointlessly given up for Sam in hindsight.  And now you have to actually bring in another real vet to work with Fields.  And I firmly believe passing on Fields as just the FO trying to save a little face in the short term. 

and my take/fear of them passing on Fields and taking Horn the week of the draft was exactly what happened.  

They are called opinions and views.  People can have them.  I think Michael Jordan was actually punished  by the NBA when he “took a year off” to play baseball in his prime and immediately came back to win 3 more rings.  Bulls and NBA PR didn’t say that.   They would say no way.  That’s crazy.  Well, organizations only tell the public what they want to tell them…and the league and world back then was different. 

You seem to struggle with people parading their own hot takes on sports….as testifying in court on some matter of importance.   It’s not that serious.   And half the fun of it. 

People are free to parade all the hot takes they want, and I'm equally free to call them out as incredibly stupid. 

The particularly dimwitted one in this case is the notion that not drafting Fields was a face saving move.

The team spent plenty of time inbetween the Darnold trade and the draft telling anyone who'd listen that having Darnold didn't preclude them from taking a quarterback. Yet we're to believe that same team isn't going to take one because it'd be embarrassing? 

I've seen more ignorant takes I suppose, but probably not many. 

They didn't draft him because they didn't want to. It's not that difficult.

Will it turn out to be the right decision? Don't know, but trying to attribute some goofy fan logic to it rather than just taking it at face value rather than just admitting you were wrong just looks even dumber. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Teddy was brought in as a bridge QB who they thought might have a chance at stepping up and being a longer-term answer.  But, his contract structure was such that after two years they had the out.  If he was the answer, great, but if not, we move on.  At least that was always my understanding of it.  The move-on point was after 2021 and we torpedoed that publicly.

The fact we overpaid is related, but a different issue.  Somebody tells our GM (at the time) "okay, go get Bridgewater."  He did.  My guess is he did what he always did.....overestimated what others thought of the guy. 

He paid roughly $20M a year for a guy they could have probably had for $12-15M.  He did have interest from other teams, but they were not likely to get anywhere near what we put on the table.  But, our ex-GM is a guy that has routinely over-drafted or moved up to draft guys nobody else would have touched for a couple of more rounds. 

Do I think Hurney had a role in the decision to get Bridgewater......maybe.  I don't think that is out of the ordinary.  Do I think he had a major role in what we paid for Bridgewater.....absolutely.  That falls right in line with his M.O. and history.  He may have felt he had no choice, but the list of players he brought in or drafted that he may have felt that with and those went too high on is pretty extensive, especially if we talk about over-drafting or moving up to over-draft.  The man had no concept of value, and still does not.

Solid take. 

Our resident insider Roaring Riot did confirm that Hurney pushed hard for Bridgewater. Marty needed to win now to save his ass and he believed Teddy was a path to that. 

Went about as well as so many of his other moves. 

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our resident insider Roaring Riot did confirm that Hurney pushed hard for Bridgewater. Marty needed to win now to save his ass and he believed Teddy was a path to that. 

What?  Hurney pushed for Bridgewater?

exploding-head-joypixels.gif

16 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

You're right.   It is silly to criticize Rhule for the Bridgewater contract

and  there are a handful of Rhule consistent critics here.   They just post a lot.  Half my posts are to refute their BS.

Look. I am pro-Rhule right now. But, if you're trying to suggest to me that Rhule didn't, at the very least, rubber-stamp Bridgewater's relatively enormous contract, then I'm telling you that you're in La-La Land.

I don't care about Hurney. I don't care about Brady. I don't even care about Tepper. If Rhule had said "No, sir", then the deal would NOT have taken place. And, mind you, I didn't care that we brought Teddy in, but I did very much mind the compensation, structure, and length of the deal. Rhule was a willing party to Bridgewater's rain dance, and we're still trowing Benjamins at Teddy to this day because of it. I'll give Rhule grace for such boneheaded involvement, but I'm NOT giving him a pass for it!

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Solid take. 

Ah, yes, I forgot to factor in the fact that Hurney was actively trying to keep his job.  I assumed it was just his usual hijinx, but that puts it on steroids and would explain the $20M/yr opening salvo.  It kinda makes me glad it wasn't $30M.

20 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

What?  Hurney pushed for Bridgewater?

exploding-head-joypixels.gif

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-matt-rhule-excited-to-move-forward-with-teddy-bridgewater-hes-exactly-what-we-want/

"According to Rhule, Bridgewater is not a placeholder or a bridge for someone like Will Grier or another future draft pick -- he's exactly what they were looking for."

🤷‍♂️

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

People are free to parade all the hot takes they want, and I'm equally free to call them out as incredibly stupid. 

The particularly dimwitted one in this case is the notion that not drafting Fields was a face saving move.

The team spent plenty of time inbetween the Darnold trade and the draft telling anyone who'd listen that having Darnold didn't preclude them from taking a quarterback. Yet we're to believe that same team isn't going to take one because it'd be embarrassing? 

I've seen more ignorant takes I suppose, but probably not many. 

They didn't draft him because they didn't want to. It's not that difficult.

Will it turn out to be the right decision? Don't know, but trying to attribute some goofy fan logic to it rather than just taking it at face value rather than just admitting you were wrong just looks even dumber. 

Of course they told the world it wouldn't preclude them from taking a QB.  Increases their chance of trading down or someone trading up ahead of them to take a QB and increasing the number of non-QBs to be available to them at 8, specifically Sewell. 

In regards to Fields I don't think we passed on the basis of embarrassment, more so just the simple fact that we had already invested assets into addressing the QB position with Darnold.  

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes, I'm sure they're all lying just to try and fool you.

You really are that important 😏

LOL, its not about me being important, its their job.  They get told bist of information and then they pass that information on to the public, here again that is their job.  Doesn't mean they are always getting the correct information, doesn't mean they are getting the complete information.  There is nothing wrong with fans trying to fill in the blanks.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

But, if you're trying to suggest to me that Rhule didn't, at the very least, rubber-stamp Bridgewater's relatively enormous contract, then I'm telling you that you're in La-La Land.

Matt Rhule on contracts: Matt Rhule talks defensive performances at practice, minicamp schedule (panthers.com) 7:25

He says he leaves the contract stuff to the GM because he wants the players to see him as a coach.

So Matt Rhule was coach in the NFL for like 5 minutes, had never negotiated an NFL contract before, and now stays out contracts, came in and said to the guy that hired him, I want you to run the contracts by me for approval...and I'm in la-la-land?

In the end, you can paint it any color you want, the decision was Hurny's, not Rhule's.  

The Bridgwater contract was a typical McHurneyfication fckup. 

I just don't understand how people don't see that.

24 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Look. I am pro-Rhule right now. But, if you're trying to suggest to me that Rhule didn't, at the very least, rubber-stamp Bridgewater's relatively enormous contract, then I'm telling you that you're in La-La Land.

I don't care about Hurney. I don't care about Brady. I don't even care about Tepper. If Rhule had said "No, sir", then the deal would NOT have taken place. And, mind you, I didn't care that we brought Teddy in, but I did very much mind the compensation, structure, and length of the deal. Rhule was a willing party to Bridgewater's rain dance, and we're still trowing Benjamins at Teddy to this day because of it. I'll give Rhule grace for such boneheaded involvement, but I'm NOT giving him a pass for it!

When we first signed TB i really thought it was a coaching decision.  Felt like a we can win now move, coaches tend to have that kind of ego, also the fact Brady had worked with him.

Since though, I really think it was mostly Hurney, and the reason is how quickly Rhule sent Teddy packing.  Usually if a coach is for a major decision like that he might try to make it work to make him self look good.  This is almost more of a "told you it was a bad decision by Hurney" type of move."  You see it all the time with new GMs and coaches they are quick to throw the other guys under the bus so to speak.  

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

When we first signed TB i really thought it was a coaching decision.  Felt like a we can win now move, coaches tend to have that kind of ego, also the fact Brady had worked with him.

Since though, I really think it was mostly Hurney, and the reason is how quickly Rhule sent Teddy packing.  Usually if a coach is for a major decision like that he might try to make it work to make him self look good.  This is almost more of a "told you it was a bad decision by Hurney" type of move."  You see it all the time with new GMs and coaches they are quick to throw the other guys under the bus so to speak.  

All you have to do is read up on what was said last summer by both Rhule who brought in Joe Brady specifically for his familiarity with the Saints offense and what Joe Brady himself said about Teddy to see through this mirage that Marty Hurney simply went rogue. I mean it's laughable.

https://247sports.com/Article/Carolina-Panthers-2020-NFL-season-Matt-Rhule-Joe-Brady-LSU-Teddy-Bridgewater-148955264/

https://www.panthers.com/news/teddy-bridgewater-joe-brady-carolina-offseason-program

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/joe-bradys-immense-confidence-relationship-with-teddy-bridgewater

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Of course they told the world it wouldn't preclude them from taking a QB.  Increases their chance of trading down or someone trading up ahead of them to take a QB and increasing the number of non-QBs to be available to them at 8, specifically Sewell. 

In regards to Fields I don't think we passed on the basis of embarrassment, more so just the simple fact that we had already invested assets into addressing the QB position with Darnold.  

LOL, its not about me being important, its their job.  They get told bist of information and then they pass that information on to the public, here again that is their job.  Doesn't mean they are always getting the correct information, doesn't mean they are getting the complete information.  There is nothing wrong with fans trying to fill in the blanks.

The problem with fans is that too many of them think football teams are engaging in 007 level espionage and every statement is actually some double blind bluff that needs to be analyzed to get the true meaning. 

As often as not, it's nowhere near that complicated. 

Once a draft pick is made or a transaction is completed, there's generally little to no reason to lie about it or keep secrets. But fans see someone with a different take than them and automatically think there has to be some weird spin on it.

Well maybe, or maybe you were just...you know, wrong.

And so what? Hell, I have a lot more respect for someone just saying "guess I was wrong" than someone trying to create an algebraic equation to prove they were really technically right. Ditto the whole "Oh yeah, that dumb sh-t I said before? I was just joking" excuse.