• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on QB (Darnold) & my translation.

top dawg

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except now that the draft is over, the info on what went on behind the scenes is out there and none of it fits what you're suggesting. 

Everything that happened behind the scenes happened on the decision that we didn't want to spend the resources to move to 3.

If we had pick #3 from the start the behind the scenes would have been totally different.  Our decisions behind the scenes was based off of having pick 8.

Here again, if we would have had pick 3 to start with, do you still think we would have traded for Darnold?

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Everything that happened behind the scenes happened on the decision that we didn't want to spend the resources to move to 3.

If we had pick #3 from the start the behind the scenes would have been totally different.  Our decisions behind the scenes was based off of having pick 8.

Here again, if we would have had pick 3 to start with, do you still think we would have traded for Darnold?

Don't know. From that position we could conceivably have traded the Jets for number two and taken Wilson. 

What I do know is even if we stayed at number three, we weren't taking Justin Fields or Trey Lance. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't know. From that position we could conceivably have traded the Jets for number two and taken Wilson. 

What I do know is even if we stayed at number three, we weren't taking Justin Fields or Trey Lance. 

impossible to say that

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

impossible to say that

Impossible to say that a quarterback we passed on at #8 we might have taken at #3? 

You're seriously asking this? 😕

Also wondering exactly how Trey Lance not fitting our system would have changed if we had a higher pick 🤔

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except now that the draft is over, the info on what went on behind the scenes is out there and none of it fits what you're suggesting. 

Unless some team official says something, you have to take it with a grain of salt. For example, Person also said that we were intrigued with Fields. I guess, not enough to draft him. We pushed enough chips in on Darnold to lose the "intrigue", if there ever was any. I mean, it's not like Fields was an unknown quantity, so why would we be "intrigued" with him? There was enough tape on him to dispell any notion of intrigue. I think Person was either full of it or just a pawn in a game of smoke and mirrors. 

As for Jones, I never believed the 49ers were enthralled with him, and they were reportedly not going to draft Lance either.l, but then they did.

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, CRA said:

“So I decided right then when that happened that we don’t have a quarterback in the NFL, we’re not going to win. I’m getting out of here. I’m not staying here. I’m not going to be responsible for this. That doctor didn’t know his ass from a handful of sand. Drew Brees plays 15 more years, wins a Super Bowl, goes to nine Pro Bowls. And we didn’t take him in Miami, where he wanted to go. Some things you can’t control. When we left there nobody understood why. Well that was why. There’s always a reason.”

I mean Saban isn't going to hang around take Ls.  We all know that.   But in the NFL, if you don't have a QB.....you are going to take Ls.  How great you are at coaching the sport isn't going to matter.  He is right about that.   

Miami gave him Joey Harrington.  

I'm aware of the quote - it's revisionist bullshit. 

Also the fact he thinks it's acceptable to slink off back to College football without informing any of his players tells you everything you need to know about the man. An absolute scumbag that millionaire athletes didn't respect. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Unless some team official says something, you have to take it with a grain of salt. For example, Person also said that we were intrigued with Fields. I guess, not enough to draft him. We pushed enough chips in on Darnold to lose the "intrigue", if there ever was any. I mean, it's not like Fields was an unknown quantity, so why would we be "intrigued" with him? There was enough tape on him to dispell any notion of intrigue. I think Person was either full of it or just a pawn in a game of smoke and mirrors. 

As for Jones, I never believed the 49ers were enthralled with him, and they were reportedly not going to draft Lance either.l, but then they did.

Did you watch Panthers Confidential? 

Verge knew even before the draft that the Fields talk was fake. Since the draft ended, both Gantt and Person confirmed the rumored interest in Fields was fishing for a trade down. 

Plus there's that thing that, you know, we didn't take him when we had the chance. 

Edited by Mr. Scot

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair the information teams want us to know about what went on behind the scenes is out there. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Impossible to say that a quarterback we passed on at #8 we might have taken at #3? 

You're seriously asking this? 😕

Also wondering exactly how Trey Lance not fitting our system would have changed if we had a higher pick 🤔

yes I'm seriously asking this.

We passed on Fields because we had already invested in Darnold.  If we had pick 3 to start with we might not have invested in Darnold because at pick 3 we are guaranteed one of the top 3 QBs, at pick 8 we aren't.  Not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

It wasn't a Fields vs Darnold decision on draft night.  The decision was made before than.  

They real decision was do you spend a lot to draft capital to move up to 3 to guarantee a top-3 QB or spend less draft capital to guarantee Darnold.

QB3 for 3 1st round picks to trade to pick 3 or Darnold for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

Answer this, why did we acquire about pick 3?  Its very possible, and actually likely that it was for a QB.

I'm not saying without a doubt they liked QB3 more than Darnold, I'm just saying its not as simple as Darnold vs Fields, you have to look at acquisition cost.  All things equal they might have prefered Fields but not all things were equal.  So a simple statement such as they liked Darnold more that Fields isn't necessarily true.

Which means if we would have had pick 3 there is a chance we could have not traded for Darnold.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jorgie said:

the fields situation is very interesting and worth discussion.

Lawdy, have we not had enough discussion on Fields?

He is not, nor will be, a Panther.  He is irrelevant to any Panther discussion.  What might have been -- isn't.  Let's all let that ship sail away.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

yes I'm seriously asking this.

We passed on Fields because we had already invested in Darnold.  If we had pick 3 to start with we might not have invested in Darnold because at pick 3 we are guaranteed one of the top 3 QBs, at pick 8 we aren't.  Not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

It wasn't a Fields vs Darnold decision on draft night.  The decision was made before than.  

They real decision was do you spend a lot to draft capital to move up to 3 to guarantee a top-3 QB or spend less draft capital to guarantee Darnold.

QB3 for 3 1st round picks to trade to pick 3 or Darnold for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

Answer this, why did we acquire about pick 3?  Its very possible, and actually likely that it was for a QB.

I'm not saying without a doubt they liked QB3 more than Darnold, I'm just saying its not as simple as Darnold vs Fields, you have to look at acquisition cost.  All things equal they might have prefered Fields but not all things were equal.  So a simple statement such as they liked Darnold more that Fields isn't necessarily true.

Which means if we would have had pick 3 there is a chance we could have not traded for Darnold.

We had word even before the draft that they weren't all thay high on anybody but Lawrence and Wilson.

Having a higher pick might have increased their chances of trying to trade up for Wilson but it's extremely doubtful it would have changed their attitude about Fields, and definitely not Lance. Rhule's post-draft comment about the low hit rate on first-round quarterbacks also testifies to that.

Truthfully, the most likely outcome of us being in the number three spot is we get Penei Sewell. And in that situation might still have traded for Darnold post-draft instead of prior. 

I get that there are some people who were really high on Fields and wanted us to get him, but it's pretty clear that outside of maybe David Tepper, the Panthers weren't, and thus they didn't.

You can make up all the "what if" scenarios in the world if you want to but it's not going to change anything. 

Edited by Mr. Scot

Yeah, Darnold's our guy for better or worse. He was ultimately the pick! Now, Rhule is in the process of building Sam--not fixing Sam--into the Panthers QB. I'd say they chose Sam irrespective of Wilson, Lance and Fields. Sam is our man, and those guys will likely never be.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We had word even before the draft that they weren't all thay high on anybody but Lawrence and Wilson.

Having a higher pick might have increased their chances of trying to trade up for Wilson but it's extremely doubtful it would have changed their attitude about Fields, and definitely not Lance. Rhule's post-draft comment about the low hit rate on first-round quarterbacks also testifies to that.

Truthfully, the most likely outcome of us being in the number three spot is we get Penei Sewell. And in that situation might still have traded for Darnold post-draft instead of prior. 

I get that there are some people who were really high on Fields and wanted us to get him, but it's pretty clear that outside of maybe David Tepper, the Panthers weren't, and thus they didn't.

You can make up all the "what if" scenarios in the world if you want to but it's not going to change anything. 

why did we ask about 3?  most likely answer is to get a QB.  making a second jump to 2 is highly unlikely and moving that far up for a non QB is also unlikely.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

why did we ask about 3?  most likely answer is to get a QB.  making a second jump to 2 is highly unlikely and moving that far up for a non QB is also unlikely.

The trade to number three discussion happened before Wilson was cemented as the number two pick. 

The trade up to number two scenario I mentioned was within the framework of your question about what would have happened if we'd already had the third pick.