• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule on QB (Darnold) & my translation.

top dawg

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't know. From that position we could conceivably have traded the Jets for number two and taken Wilson. 

What I do know is even if we stayed at number three, we weren't taking Justin Fields or Trey Lance. 

If we had the #3 spot we likely never get Darnold…..and we draft Fields, Lance, etc. 

they were forced into Darnold given they didn’t have a pick that guaranteed any QB in the draft and Teddy couldn’t remain on the roster.   Then drafting a QB puts the entire FO under further scrutiny for management of the QB spot when one fell.  Which wasn’t the perceived likely outcome when they got Darnold. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

If we had the #3 spot we likely never get Darnold…..and we draft Fields, Lance, etc. 

they were forced into Darnold given they didn’t have a pick that guaranteed any QB in the draft and Teddy couldn’t remain on the roster.   Then drafting a QB puts the entire FO under further scrutiny for management of the QB spot when one fell.  Which wasn’t the perceived likely outcome when they got Darnold. 

Still pushing that same discredited narrative? 

(did David Tepper ever come back to the room?) 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The trade to number three discussion happened before Wilson was cemented as the number two pick. 

The trade up to number two scenario I mentioned was within the framework of your question about what would have happened if we'd already had the third pick. 

Everyone knew Jets were taking a QB at 2.  

My interpretation - we haven’t done hardly poo to address the line and we expect the QB will have to deal with missed blocks.

History tells us no one goes to the big show without an oline, and Rhule is not this magical exception.

I am loving the die hard approach to finding a QB but at some point someone needs to realize it’s all for nothing without an oline, unless you feel you’re one of the three teams in the past 20 years to make it without one. In which case you’ll need to find the next Manning/HOF QB.

Edited by onmyown

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Carolina nearly dealt the 8th pick for a 33 year old quarterback with no playoff wins and a 2-16 record against winning teams since 2018. If they actually had pick three all options would have been on the table.

Still waiting for an explanation of how Trey Lance not fitting our system with our pick at number 8 changes if our pick is at number 3 🤔

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

LOL. I'm sure they "considered" it as a matter of course. But no one outside of them knows for how long or to what extent.

Joe Douglas gave an extensive (and pretty open) interview after the trade. Went into a lot of details about the negotiations and the decision making process. 

One of the big details that came out of that was that they weren't willing to part with Darnold until they'd gone through the quarterback evaluation process with all prospects. 

It was shortly after Wilson's pro day that they finally agreed. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Still waiting for an explanation of how Trey Lance not fitting our system with our pick at number 8 changes if our pick is at number 3 🤔

I'm skeptical of anyone that says Lance wouldn't fit their system, so much so that I simply don't give that report much veracity. I heard more than one scout say that he'd fit any system, such was his skill set, versatility and malleability.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I'm skeptical of anyone that says Lance wouldn't fit their system, so much so that I simply don't give that report much veracity. I heard more than one scout say that he'd fit any system, such was his skill set, versatility and malleability.

You have a hard time believing that different personnel people could have different opinions on a prospect? 🤔

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Are you referring to the Joe Person sources say leak about Jones and Lance? I have not seen the Panthers big board have you? So I can't say definitively what they would have done. But based on confirmed desperation before the draft I can make an educated guess that qb or a trade up would have been under consideration.