Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Rhule on QB (Darnold) & my translation.


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which is how it should be. 

But I've been told that Tepper has instituted the Appaloosa Model® where he retains all control and exercises final rights on all decisions.

...

  • Beer 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps, but at that point, we probably knew that it was a waste of time anyway, as the 49ers were already all-in, and we didn't want to spend the draft capital and decided that there was a better value.

Everybody at that point still thought the Niners were taking Mac Jones (not that this would have anything to do with system fit). 

The best read I've been able to make based on all the info surrounding the draft is that Fitterer and Rhule would only have been interested in a QB they saw as a sure fire franchise quarterback, and the only guys they saw fitting that description were Lawrence and Wilson. 

Frankly, it's not like they'd have been alone in that viewpoint. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Everybody at that point still thought the Niners were taking Mac Jones (not that this would have anything to do with system fit). 

The best read I've been able to make based on all the info surrounding the draft is that Fitterer and Rhule would only have been interested in a QB they saw as a sure fire franchise quarterback, and the only guys they saw fitting that description were Lawrence and Wilson. 

Frankly, it's not like they'd have been alone in that viewpoint. 

Opinions on this QB class were all over the place. Fit and Rhule certainly would have not been alone, but they would also have had plenty of scouts and fellow GMs disagree with them, especially the ones who staked their teams to Jones, Lances, and Fields. Those teams drafted them because they believed they are franchise guys. 

Edited by trueblade
grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Opinions on this QB class were all over the place. Fit and Rhule certainly would have not been alone, but they would also have had plenty of scouts and fellow GMs disagree with them, especially the ones who staked their teams to Jones, Lances, and Fields. Those teams drafted them because they believed they are franchise guys. 

Par for the course...

There were professional personnel guys who believed in JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf while others didn't think Russell Wilson or Tom Brady were worth first round picks. And of course there's the memory of Alex Smith going #1 and Aaron Rodgers still being available twenty spots later. 

We'll see what happens...

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

 

That may be true. But it does fit the profile. IMO, he is a narcissists, who cannot stomach the thought of his name not being associated with winning. And in the NFL, he wasn't winning enough.

“So I decided right then when that happened that we don’t have a quarterback in the NFL, we’re not going to win. I’m getting out of here. I’m not staying here. I’m not going to be responsible for this. That doctor didn’t know his ass from a handful of sand. Drew Brees plays 15 more years, wins a Super Bowl, goes to nine Pro Bowls. And we didn’t take him in Miami, where he wanted to go. Some things you can’t control. When we left there nobody understood why. Well that was why. There’s always a reason.”

I mean Saban isn't going to hang around take Ls.  We all know that.   But in the NFL, if you don't have a QB.....you are going to take Ls.  How great you are at coaching the sport isn't going to matter.  He is right about that.   

Miami gave him Joey Harrington.  

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jorgie said:

You’re confused in thinking that rhule dolled out the contract. Teddy underperformed, I think to say that it’s an example of how rhule doesn’t value the qb position, when he was publicly criticizing the teddy’s play makes no sense

He didn’t under perform. He is what he has always been

The biggest winner was NO for dumping him off on a division rival…knowing Brees was retiring, they chose to keep a Winston and Hill instead 

and don’t say, they didn’t have cap room, Payton always finds room for players they want. 

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Opinions on this QB class were all over the place. Fit and Rhule certainly would have not been alone, but they would also have had plenty of scouts and fellow GMs disagree with them, especially the ones who staked their teams to Jones, Lances, and Fields. Those teams drafted them because they believed they are franchise guys. 

 

Orrr...They drafted a QB hoping he would become a Franchise QB.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

He didn’t under perform. He is what he has always been

The biggest winner was NO for dumping him off on a division rival…knowing Brees was retiring, they chose to keep a Winston and Hill instead 

and don’t say, they didn’t have cap room, Payton always finds room for players they want. 

 

Have you seen what is going on in NO? The Cap came back to haunt them.  They lost some good talent this year because they couldn't pay them. Even in NO, the Cap finally bit them.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Everybody at that point still thought the Niners were taking Mac Jones (not that this would have anything to do with system fit). 

The best read I've been able to make based on all the info surrounding the draft is that Fitterer and Rhule would only have been interested in a QB they saw as a sure fire franchise quarterback, and the only guys they saw fitting that description were Lawrence and Wilson. 

Frankly, it's not like they'd have been alone in that viewpoint. 

That might not be true.  There were reports that we called about moving to #3.  That would mean we might have been interested in three QBs.  Problem was the cost was two high.

The decision isn't' as easy as Darnold vs Fields, they might have actually like Fields just as much.  The real decision was the cost of trading up to 3 for QB3 vs the cost of trading for Darnold.  Once the draft happened they had already invested in Darnold.  The problem is they couldn't go into the draft guaranteeing themselves that QB3 or even QB4 would be there at pick 8.  

You have to remember that we had already burned the bridges with TB, we couldn't go in the draft hoping a QB that liked fell to us.  

Think about this way, what if we would have lost one more game and had pick #3, do you still think we trade for Darnold?  I don't, but none of us will really ever know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

That might not be true.  There were reports that we called about moving to #3.  That would mean we might have been interested in three QBs.  Problem was the cost was two high.

The decision isn't' as easy as Darnold vs Fields, they might have actually like Fields just as much.  The real decision was the cost of trading up to 3 for QB3 vs the cost of trading for Darnold.  Once the draft happened they had already invested in Darnold.  The problem is they couldn't go into the draft guaranteeing themselves that QB3 or even QB4 would be there at pick 8.  

You have to remember that we had already burned the bridges with TB, we couldn't go in the draft hoping a QB that liked fell to us.  

Think about this way, what if we would have lost one more game and had pick #3, do you still think we trade for Darnold?  I don't, but none of us will really ever know.

Except now that the draft is over, the info on what went on behind the scenes is out there and none of it fits what you're suggesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...