• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Training Camp - Sunday Morning Thoughts and Musings

Zod

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see how it pans out but I was concerned this off-season that we seemed to be focusing more on versatility on the OL than actual talent and skill. Versatility is only a positive if you're actually good. I don't really care about your versatility if you're roughly equally bad at multiple positions. That doesn't exactly help matters. We still seem stuck in this versatility mindset when we need to be identifying our best five and giving them as many snaps as we can to work together.

I think you are all missing the point. With injuries and Covid protocols, versatility is more important than in the past. Very rarely does a team have all 5 starting last the entire season. Not having good back ups costed the Chiefs the Super Bowl. 

We have a premier RT. A starting center for at least 2021. We have 3 "holes to fill" and a lot of talent to have quality depth up and down the line. It's not the starting caliber we may all want but if it's decent to good and has no drop off from injuries, then it's a win in my book. 

• Beer 3

9 minutes ago, musicman said:

I think you are all missing the point. With injuries and Covid protocols, versatility is more important than in the past. Very rarely does a team have all 5 starting last the entire season. Not having good back ups costed the Chiefs the Super Bowl. 

We have a premier RT. A starting center for at least 2021. We have 3 "holes to fill" and a lot of talent to have quality depth up and down the line. It's not the starting caliber we may all want but if it's decent to good and has no drop off from injuries, then it's a win in my book. 

Therein lies the rub. IF.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The better question would be why people take fan speculation seriously when there's no actual evidence to back it up.

Nowhere have I seen any credible evidence or comment that Moton doesn't want to play on the left. It's pretty much just been fan speculation which is basically meaningless. 

This.

In his interview, it was clear he is willing and possibly wanted to play LT. 

"

That opportunity might present itself more now at left because in the past years whatever happened, it kept me right but it's just like I said it's just feeling more and more comfortable just repping it out day in and day out.

"

Edited by SBBlue
  • Beer 1

42 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Therein lies the rub. IF.

You know there is a possibility they get this all worked out, and the line plays well enough to get the job done? There is talent there. It's just a question of putting the pieces in their proper place.

Edit to add: I know this isn't the most popular belief. But it is a possibility nonetheless.

Edited by iamhubby1

1 hour ago, My Life Dont Matter said:

Let’s compare a 2nd year coach who came from college to the best head coach to ever coach in the NFL. 

Best coach ever or maybe he had the GOAT qb in Brady? Bellichick’s team looked like ass last year, maybe it wasn’t all him? Not that you know anything about football anyway, probably wasting my time explaining anything to you!

5 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Best coach ever or maybe he had the GOAT qb in Brady? Bellichick’s team looked like ass last year, maybe it wasn’t all him? Not that you know anything about football anyway, probably wasting my time explaining anything to you!

If you don't teach him, he ain't never gonna learn. Bless you for even wanting to teach those less fortunates. You are truly doing Gods work my friend. lol

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

You know there is a possibility they get this all worked out, and the line plays well enough to get the job done? There is talent there. It's just a question of putting the pieces in their proper place.

Edit to add: I know this isn't the most popular belief. But it is a possibility nonetheless.

Sure, it's possible. It just requires a lot of stars to align. Will Grier could possibly be a HOF QB too.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, My Life Dont Matter said:

Where did I bring up Moton? Jesus Christ that is retarded for you

For someone with little command of basic English, you certainly throw around inappropriate and disparaging remarks concerning other members’ intellect.  You must have tiny hands.  

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The better question would be why people take fan speculation seriously when there's no actual evidence to back it up.

Nowhere have I seen any credible evidence or comment that Moton doesn't want to play on the left. It's pretty much just been fan speculation which is basically meaningless. 

That's true, but pertaining to the subject, everything I've read says that he's a better right tackle than left tackle. That's the main issue here. That being said, I realize that the end result is going to be about balance. If Cam at LT and Moton at RT is better than Christiansen at RT and Moton at LT, then we'll let Moton play his natural position, if not, then to LT he goes. It still doesn't make it his preferred choice though. He's being a good teammate. 

This is exactly what a bunch of us have been so worried about on that OL. The ability just does not seem to be a priority. This idea of versatility isn't invaluable but when you are sacrificing competency for that, it doesn't help. I think this is a clear example of our coaching staff not yet understanding what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

It ends up looking like throwing poo against the wall to see if it sticks.

• Pie 4