• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bits and pieces from Panthers Wire about last night's practice

top dawg

I love to get every perspective on observations of practice that I can to try and kinda get a 360 view. Here's Rushing Vashee for Panthers Wire giving his very general observations.

Here are the things verbatim that may be a little different (except for maybe Jaycee Horn, likely the best corner we ever drafted according to Igo):

Jaycee Horn is a press coverage monster

The No. 8 overall pick lined up at the line of scrimmage on multiple plays last night and disrupted plenty of routes. He had a notable PBU on Marken Michel, which drew a big reaction from the crowd. Donte Jackson also had a couple of notable PBUs against Robby Anderson and Terrace Marshall.

Sam Darnold digs the middle of the field

The overwhelming majority of Darnold’s success in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills came in quick 10-yard passes over the middle, where he hit D.J. Moore, Terrace Marshall and Christian McCaffrey for first-down dimes on multiple plays. 2020 training camp star Omar Bayless also made a slightly deeper catch over the middle.

Chuba Hubbard is an explosive runner

Even though players were not supposed to tackle last night, Hubbard showed amazing burst speed in team drills. Alongside his explosiveness out of the backfield, Hubbard also showed promise as a kick returner.

Another thing that I noticed which may not mean anything is that we have Trenton Cannon and David Moore returning punts, along with Chuba Hubbard. I'm surmising very loosely, but there may not be room enough for both Moore and Cannon on the squad after all is said and done. Moore has the 1¼ mil signing bonus though.

Bayless spottings are quite the norm...

No info on the O-line (except that Moton and Scott spent time with their families after practice)...probably a bad thing...

The fact that the defense has a decided advantage over the offense right now due to lack of pads has been said several times, and it needs repeating, so take some of the O-line woes with a grain of salt.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

My only thing with Horn's style of play, is I hope he doesn't draw a lot of defensive holding calls.  Of course he is definitely the next shut down corner of a generation.

Ya I feel like this year is gonna be rough on that front from the footage I’ve seen. We’ll see once they get pads on and start going full speed scrimmages. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Seemed to be referencing that they spent time with their families.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Why?

Excuse the clone, but my regular account seems to be having issues and has locked me out. It keeps saying wait 14 minutes, but 14 minutes is apparently all afternoon.

Anyway, come on, Scot. There's a reason why the info about their families is in parentheses. @KSpan was exactly correct. No news isn't necessarily good news, particularly if there seems to be a developing theme (at least from everything I've read) that the O-line play looks discouraging. Of course, I kind of added some context in the next paragraph...So, no, I'm not hating on a man spending time with his family in any situation!

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

The overwhelming majority of Darnold’s success in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills came in quick 10-yard passes over the middle, where he hit D.J. Moore, Terrace Marshall and Christian McCaffrey for first-down dimes on multiple plays. 2020 training camp star Omar Bayless also made a slightly deeper catch over the middle.

DJ gonna be taking quick slants to the house.