• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule is in charge per the Old Guy

top dawg

A coach should have say who / what he wants on his team.  Not a GM handing a bunch of groceries and saying "go make something".  GM's job is to get get the parts that the coach needs to win. Coach has to tell him what parts he needs.  It's the GM's job to then get the best parts we can afford that the team needs. 

• Beer 3

22 minutes ago, gofightwin said:

A coach should have say who / what he wants on his team.  Not a GM handing a bunch of groceries and saying "go make something".  GM's job is to get get the parts that the coach needs to win. Coach has to tell him what parts he needs.  It's the GM's job to then get the best parts we can afford that the team needs. 

^^^ You have nailed/described the model currently being employed by the Panthers --- the GM* reports to the Head Ball Coach.

It's a very non-traditional model but to his credit Tepper feels no need to subscribe to archaic NFL models/traditions of any kind...

...Tepp's cut from the Sinatra cloth --- "I do it my way". 

*NOTE:  Director of Player Personnel or something along those lines would probably be a more accurate title...like Belichick, clearly Rhule is the GM & Head Ball Coach.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

I don't know....people kept insisting, per our trusted inside source, that it was actually lameduck disgraced GM Hurney in his final year who was pulling all the strings and had forced Teddy upon poor neutered $60-million-man Rhule, cause he was so desperate to save his job.  Ugh I just don't know what to believe anymore 😭

• Flames 2

7 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

^^^ You have nailed/described the model currently being employed by the Panthers --- the GM reports to the Head Ball Coach.

It's a very non-traditional model but to his credit Tepper feels no need to subscribe to archaic NFL models/traditions of any kind...

...Tepp's cut from the Sinatra cloth --- "I do it my way". 

Even in models where the coach 'reports to' the GM or some other executive on a paper org chart, that doesn't mean they don't have control. This notion of Carolina's structure being better because it's somehow special and revolutionary (which it really isn't) is silly and worthless anyway unless/until the team actually shows that the approach yields above-average and continuous results. 

With that said, only time will tell if that's the case and because of that it cuts the other way too - no one can definitely say that the model/approach is ineffective.

Edited by KSpan

31 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Even in models where the coach 'reports to' the GM or some other executive on a paper org chart, that doesn't mean they don't have control.

That's exactly what it means.

32 minutes ago, KSpan said:

This notion of Carolina's structure being better because it's somehow special and revolutionary...

Nobody said it was "special or revolutionary"...but it is definitively non-traditional and rare...only time will tell if it produces results here. 

I've given Rhule a mulligan on the Teddy signing because he was not a failure in the sense that he was a terrible quarterback he just didn't have the killer instinct to finish games and he couldn't handle criticism. That being said his limitations that held us back were on game tape and should have been clearer to Joe and Matt if they were truly that familiar with him. I can only take them at their words and they had plenty to say about him last spring. Now they are all on the clock with Sam. It is an uphill battle given expectations are for him to make a rather miraculous turnaround in one offseason. That may not be fair but that's how sports go and how fans think. The best thing Rhule and Co have going for them right now are the additions at other positions they have made in a short time. But like any other team or staff the pesky quarterback conundrum can and will sink even the nicest ship.

22 minutes ago, frankw said:

Now they are all on the clock with Sam. It is an uphill battle given expectations are for him to make a rather miraculous turnaround in one offseason.

The other attempted QB scrap-heap resurrection took a major hit today...

...Wentz out 5-12 weeks for foot surgery.

Edited by SizzleBuzz

2 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

The other attempted scrap-heap resurrection took a major hit today...

...Wentz out 5-12 weeks for foot surgery.

This all but assures the first round pick the Eagles got for him reverts to a second round pick.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, KSpan said:

Even in models where the coach 'reports to' the GM or some other executive on a paper org chart, that doesn't mean they don't have control. This notion of Carolina's structure being better because it's somehow special and revolutionary (which it really isn't) is silly and worthless anyway unless/until the team actually shows that the approach yields above-average and continuous results. 

With that said, only time will tell if that's the case and because of that it cuts the other way too - no one can definitely say that the model/approach is ineffective.

It isn't new, special, unique or revolutionary at all.

Plenty of old school coaches had full control. Hell, some didn't even have a GM to work with. Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys is arguably the most successful example, but you also had guys like Bill Parcells, Mike Shanahan and even Butch Davis (granted, that was probably a mistake). If you go back further to the days of guys like Vince Lombardi, Don Shula and Paul Brown, it was even more common. 

The most notable recent example is probably Pete Carroll who's had full control since she took the Seahawks job, but before him Mike Holmgren had the same thing. And there are others as well, like that guy up in Massachusetts whose name escapes me at the moment 🤔

So yeah, we're not doing anything "non-traditional" whatsoever. This model is as old as the league itself. 

Edited by Mr. Scot