• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets obtain 1st Round Pick from Pelicans in sign-and-trade for Devonte’ Graham

Prowler2k18

3 hours ago, My Life Dont Matter said:

It was the right move. I wished that we could’ve gotten something a little more back. Something like Jaxson Hayes and a 2nd would’ve been better. 

The first is more valuable I think - especially since we have one outgoing for Kai. Jaxson Hayes just got arrested for assault anyways. Not sure he's gonna be in the league much longer.

• Beer 1

We definitely could've matched the offer sheet for Devonte. That being said - it's highly possible Devonte wanted to go somewhere and start. NOLA is offering him that option and with LaMelo, it's not an option here. 

So Charlotte could very well be giving Devonte what he wants and, at the same time, leveraging NOLA for the asset. If that's how it went down, that's good business.

Getting a first round pick back for a 2nd round draft pick proves we have a really good player development program.

I'm concerned about the guard depth now though.

• Pie 3

Realistically Terry is LaMelo's backup at the point but while DeVonte was OK with backing up Melo, would Terry be OK with coming off the bench?

If he is great. If he isn't, look for more roster movement before the trade deadline later.

I for one wanted to keep Graham as #2 point guard. He had great chemistry with Melo, wasn't requiring a ton of money and was a role player.

Terry would be a very high priced backup for Melo and a VERY undersized SG when we have guys who fit the position.

Interesting days ahead. What's for sure is change.

1 hour ago, Captain Morgan said:

so what happens if the Pelicans are in the lottery next year (probable)?  We get their first rounder the next year?  Is that lottery protected?

I don’t actually know the details on this trade but the way they often work is like first year lottery protected, 2nd year top 10 protected, 3rd year top 8 protected and then they keep the pick if we never get it in that time frame. I don’t know if that’s the situation in this case but that is often how these tend to work out 

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 2

So here's the total of the trade. 

Wes Iwundu, a protected 2022 first-round draft pick and cash considerations from the New Orleans Pelicans and the draft rights to Tyler Harvey from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for sending guard Devonte’ Graham to New Orleans as a part of a three-team trade. In the deal, New Orleans also acquired Jonas Valuncianas as well as the draft rights to Trey Murphy and Brandon Boston. Memphis received Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, the draft rights to Ziaire Williams, the draft rights to Jared Butler and a protected 2022 first-round draft pick from New Orleans (via the Los Angeles Lakers). 

https://www.nba.com/hornets/press-releases/charlotte-hornets-acquire-2022-lottery-protected-first-round-pick-sign-and-trade

This deal has been announced.

Hornets Receive:

2022 Lottery Protected First Round Draft Pick (N.O.), Wes Iwundu (N.O.), Cash Considerations (N.O.), and the draft rights to Tyler Harvey (Memphis)

Pelicans Receive:

Devonte Graham (Charlotte), Jonas Valuncianas (Memphis), the draft rights to Trey Murphy (Memphis), and the draft rights to Brandon Boston (Memphis)

Grizzlies Receive:

Steven Adams (N.O.), Eric Bledsoe (N.O.), the draft rights to Zaire Williams (N.O.), the draft rights to Jared Butler (N.O.), and a 2022 Lottery Protected First round Draft Pick (N.O. from the Lakers)

The Hornets current roster with deals announced by the team looks like this.

PG - LaMelo Ball

SG - Terry Rozier, James Bouknight, Caleb Martin, Scottie Lewis (TW)

SF - Gordon Hayward, Jalen McDaniels, Wesley Iwundu, Cody Martin

PF - Miles Bridges, P.J. Washington, JT Thor, Arnoldas Kulboka (TW)

C - Mason Plumlee, Kai Jones, Vernon Carey, Nick Richards

The Hornets currently have a full roster so with the unannounced deals, it’s safe to assume that both Martin’s will have their non-guaranteed contracts waived to make room for Ish Smith and Kelly Oubre.

Without knowing if graham wanted to leave and be a "starter", this now feels this the first big misplay in the mich era. 12mill per for 4 years is nothing. ball is still a pup and had a bad injury in a short season. minutes where there for graham; ball 30-32 at pg. graham get 15 at pg another 12-16 at sg. I know money is tight with frenchys contract, washington, and briges incoming. After seeing the haul, 2 seconded rounders, rights to guy that doesnt want to play nba, and a journey man SF. Should have matched 100%.

• Pie 1