• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets sign Ish Smith

GamecockSmitty4

1 hour ago, My Chuck Dont Matter said:

I don’t think so. The man can play. Problems are cocaine and not being able to be consistent on the court. He’ll light it up one night and then disappear for a month. Going to LA will put him under less pressure. He can be himself and no one will care. 

less pressure playing for the lakers?...i dont think so

and LA is party central

On 8/4/2021 at 12:20 PM, jayboogieman said:

I don't think he was ever happy here. Cliff and JB both had made it clear they weren't happy with him.

Exactly.  I remember when we drafted him. His college coach complaining about it.

He knew monk didn’t want to be here and he expressed it for him. Knowing the player at the time couldn’t say it. 

On 8/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, MillionDollarCam said:

The choice to trade him is rather interesting. I’d have strongly considered going into the luxury tax to keep him that way when Rozier walks next year we still have a solid backcourt.

I'm not paying a backup PG 12 mil a year that is bad roster building..

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

You do realize we are paying a back up SF (Oubre) 12M/12.6M per year, right?

If you are going to pay a back up 12M per year you might as well make it a player at the most important position on the basketball court. Not to mention, having Graham help the young second unit along that is sure to consist of Bouknight and Jones would be very beneficial.

As Kupchak stated, we aren’t good enough to reach for needs, right now this team needs basketball players. The only reason Devonte is gone is because he wants to start.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

32 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

The backup PGs with the largest contracts across the league are:

Tyus Jones, MEM = 1yr @ $8.4m
Monte Morris, DEN = 1yr @ $8.4m

George Hill, MIL = 1yr deal @ $10m
Jordan Clarkson, UTH = 3yr deal @ $12.5m (6th MOY)

no way Graham was worth the same as the reigning 6th Man of the Year.. I just wish we got better stipulations on the lottery pick.. like Lottery protected > Top 10 protected > Top 5 > etc. etc.

10 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

As Kupchak stated, we aren’t good enough to reach for needs, right now this team needs basketball players. The only reason Devonte is gone is because he wants to start.

you aren't arguing that Oubre was a bad signing are you..?
naw... you can't be

4 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

you aren't arguing that Oubre was a bad signing are you..?
naw... you can't be

I’m obviously not since I didn’t say that.

Oubre wasn’t a bad signing, Devonte at 12M wouldn’t have been either.

And to call Devonte a PG is a disservice to him. You are paying 12M for a combo guard. A player who can play multiple positions and a player who would inherit Rozier’s starting spot after he is sure to walk next year.

Not to mention if LaMelo goes down again at any point then we are now effectively fuged, I can’t be the only one that notices him still messing with his wrist.

We put a lot of eggs in the Bouknight basket and if he can’t handle it as soon as we though he could then our second unit will struggle.

24 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

If you are going to pay a back up 12M per year you might as well make it a player at the most important position on the basketball court. Not to mention, having Graham help the young second unit along that is sure to consist of Bouknight and Jones would be very beneficial.

Oubre is a wing defender and scorer inside and out backing up a player known to be injury prone... He offers more then a backup PG who is a great shooter but not good inside the 3 point line and not a good defender..  Also your Franchise player is at his position.. So the cost and position and usage doesn't add up..

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I’m obviously not since I didn’t say that.

Oubre wasn’t a bad signing, Devonte at 12M wouldn’t have been either.

And to call Devonte a PG is a disservice to him. You are paying 12M for a combo guard. A player who can play multiple positions and a player who would inherit Rozier’s starting spot after he is sure to walk next year.

Not to mention if LaMelo goes down again at any point then we are now effectively fuged, I can’t be the only one that notices him still messing with his wrist.

We put a lot of eggs in the Bouknight basket and if he can’t handle it as soon as we though he could then our second unit will struggle.

So you think its smart to pay 2 short combo guards both not great at defense over 10 mil a year??  Not to mention the plan seem to be to turn your 11th pick in the draft into the same thing... So where is the 12 mil a year minutes coming from??

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Oubre is a wing defender and scorer inside and out backing up a player known to be injury prone... He offers more then a backup PG who is a great shooter but not good inside the 3 point line and not a good defender..  Also your Franchise player is at his position.. So the cost and position and usage doesn't add up..

Since when is Graham a backup PG? He was a combo guard averaging 16PPG over the past two seasons. If Bouknight isn’t able to fill that gap this year then the second unit will struggle and it will be the same old story.

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

So you think its smart to pay 2 short combo guards both not great at defense over 10 mil a year??  Not to mention the plan seem to be to turn your 11th pick in the draft into the same thing... So where is the 12 mil a year minutes coming from??

Not every player has to be an elite defender to be successful as long as they play within the system, Graham did that.

And combo guards are the new stretch four, everyone wants one because they have shown to be successful, the best one in the NBA played a big role in the Bucks winning a championship (Jrue Holiday).

Additionally, Graham’s minutes would obviously come with the second unit. The same minutes he got last year with Bouknight taking Monk’s minutes. If you are comfortable with Bouknight getting all of the minutes Graham had last year (especially after what you saw today) then there’s not a whole lot more to discuss.

Keeping Graham simply would have allowed the Hornets to replace Rozier next year. Instead, we’ll be looking for a new backup PG and a starting/backup SG depending on how Bouknight plays this year.