• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets sign Ish Smith

GamecockSmitty4

15 minutes ago, My Chuck Dont Matter said:

Is there a way we could get Lauri and go into the tax? 

I believe so, as long as it’s a sign and trade and his new contract doesn’t go into the tax apron. We’d be hardcapped for the year but he’d fit well in our offense.

Melo loves those little dump offs back to the top of the three point arc. Markkanen hits them at a way higher clip than PJ.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Since when is Graham a backup PG? He was a combo guard averaging 16PPG over the past two seasons. If Bouknight isn’t able to fill that gap this year then the second unit will struggle and it will be the same old story.

When Lamelo Ball was drafted..

It's him Ish and Terry doing that.. And 2 of them will be doing it for 4 million less..

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not every player has to be an elite defender to be successful as long as they play within the system, Graham did that.

And combo guards are the new stretch four, everyone wants one because they have shown to be successful, the best one in the NBA played a big role in the Bucks winning a championship (Jrue Holiday).

Additionally, Graham’s minutes would obviously come with the second unit. The same minutes he got last year with Bouknight taking Monk’s minutes. If you are comfortable with Bouknight getting all of the minutes Graham had last year (especially after what you saw today) then there’s not a whole lot more to discuss.

Keeping Graham simply would have allowed the Hornets to replace Rozier next year. Instead, we’ll be looking for a new backup PG and a starting/backup SG depending on how Bouknight plays this year.

The system was playing a Zone most of the season because no outside defender or shot blockers...

Yes the Bucs have 1 not 3... And Jrue is starting and playing starters minutes.. Not the same for Graham now..

I'm comfortable not paying 12 mil for those minutes Especially since I'd rather pay Miles and PJ... 4 mil for those minutes seem very reasonable to me..

And not get Oubre or still in position to sign a center.. Pay Graham that money with his limitations and new position on this team would have been absolutely stupid..

And just to put a bow on this idea of it being hard to find backup PG.. Efrain Payton just got a minimum deal.. The PG market right now still has some good players on it who can't find jobs or signing for less.. Right now there is a surplus on PG in the league.. Sacramento and Orlando got 3 to 4 each.. We will be able to get a backup guard..

45 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

The system was playing a Zone most of the season because no outside defender or shot blockers...

Yes the Bucs have 1 not 3... And Jrue is starting and playing starters minutes.. Not the same for Graham now..

I'm comfortable not paying 12 mil for those minutes Especially since I'd rather pay Miles and PJ... 4 mil for those minutes seem very reasonable to me..

And not get Oubre or still in position to sign a center.. Pay Graham that money with his limitations and new position on this team would have been absolutely stupid..

You act like 12M is an absurd amount of money in the soft-cap NBA where the cap is going to rise significantly every year with new TV deals. I mean have you seen Lonzo Ball’s contract (assuming it holds up)?

More or less Graham was an insurance policy for when Rozier leaves next year. If everything goes smoothly Bouknight becomes the long term starter at the two and now you have Graham who slides into Bouknight’s role (this year).

However, with Graham no longer in the fold and having lost Rozier (whose money will go to Bridges) you now no longer have a bench outside of Oubre…. your thinking is too short term.

44 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

And just to put a bow on this idea of it being hard to find backup PG.. Efrain Payton just got a minimum deal.. The PG market right now still has some good players on it who can't find jobs or signing for less.. Right now there is a surplus on PG in the league.. Sacramento and Orlando got 3 to 4 each.. We will be able to get a backup guard..

Payton is one of the worst three point shooting guards in the league, so there’s a reason for that. If you can’t stretch the floor in today’s NBA you have no value.

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

When Lamelo Ball was drafted..

It's him Ish and Terry doing that.. And 2 of them will be doing it for 4 million less..

Real solid idea to rely on Ish Smith knowing that both Rozier and Ball missed time with injuries last year.

If you’re going to give Ish 4.5M then you might as well pony up 7M for Patty Mills, at least he can get you a bucket.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

@MillionDollarCam @WOW!!

i think we all liked Graham and we are all just a lil upset that Ish Smith is his "replacement" for him.. Ish should provide veteran ball security + the drive/kick game but he doesn't bring the ability to go 4/5 from 3pt line in a quarter that Graham did.. 

where i disagree a bit is Bouknight is more of Monk's replacement not Graham..

Graham > Ish
Monk > Bouknight

both of those are downgrades in the short term.. but Bouknight's size and defensive ability can help him develop into something better than Monk in the future but this year is prolly a step back for our backcourt behind Ball/Rozier..

7 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Real solid idea to rely on Ish Smith knowing that both Rozier and Ball missed time with injuries last year.

If you’re going to give Ish 4.5M then you might as well pony up 7M for Patty Mills, at least he can get you a bucket.

Love to.. I wish mitch would have waited and gave Patty that deal. 

7 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

You act like 12M is an absurd amount of money in the soft-cap NBA where the cap is going to rise significantly every year with new TV deals. I mean have you seen Lonzo Ball’s contract (assuming it holds up)?

More or less Graham was an insurance policy for when Rozier leaves next year. If everything goes smoothly Bouknight becomes the long term starter at the two and now you have Graham who slides into Bouknight’s role (this year).

However, with Graham no longer in the fold and having lost Rozier (whose money will go to Bridges) you now no longer have a bench outside of Oubre…. your thinking is too short term.

Then I'm really glad we got rid of that policy.. Moving on from the short non defensive starting 2 guard would be a big achievement for this team... And if Graham was Terry's replacement then that is a horrible idea... 3 point shooting great.. But again no defense, No mid range, no attacking the basket horrible trade off from your starting 2G???