• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson? Yes? No?, or Meh?

iamhubby1

Deshaun Watson? Yes? No?, or Meh?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Deshaun Watson on this team? All answers are made public.

• Yes. I want to win.
    • No. Sure I want to win. But not at the expense of my Compassion, nor my Mortal Soul.
    • Meh, I don't care one way or the other. I just like watching teh Foosball.
    • Other. If so, then why?

14 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

terrible analog. 

Your point was that it takes a conviction to dissuade you from wanting him--my point is that the image is the important thing--not the conviction.  A conviction only tells you what 12 people (or so) thought and how good his attorney was vs. Prosecutors. Money tends to win in the courtrooms, but you want to use convictions as the only determination of his character---but turn the tables, and it is a "terrible analog." The only thing that matters is what hiring him does to the bottom line and the image you are trying to market---OJ Simpson is not doing commercials today and he was innocent--why not?   Just exposing hypocrisy. 

Edited by MHS831

7 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

terrible analog. 

Well said.  I have no idea who he is or is not and I am not about to venture into that world. 

Yeah, I would think that we should have all learned by now that trial by public opinion or certainly by media doesn't mean a lot. From a PR standpoint, perhaps so, which is a genuine issue that has to be considered in a league that has public perception to worry about.

Even the resolution of a civil and/or criminal case is no guarantee that we actually would know any of the real facts. Just that the theatrics are completed and we have an ultimate result. 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I mean that much is pretty obvious, I would think. I understand the "buy low" crowd thinks now might be the time to strike but there isn't a team in the NFL that is going to make a deal for him until the entire ordeal is sorted out or at least behind the scenes there are some assurances about the result and the NFL's plan for him.

Hell, we've had people on here that wanted us to give up picks for Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon and even Titus Young. And all with the rationale that they'd never be cheaper than when they were in trouble.

Some folks really don't understand how the world works.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hell, we've had people on here that wanted us to give up picks for Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon and even Titus Young. And all with the rationale that they'd never be cheaper than when they were in trouble.

Some folks really don't understand how the world works.

With those bust players, people are always going to keep seeing potential, no matter what. Hell, we have a large chunk of people buying into a very obvious bust QB that we traded for based on that potential. So, I do understand how it can be enticing. 

This is a different scenario, however. Watson's abilities are completely unquestioned, it just boils down to whether he is going to be possible to sign for a while. If things go poorly, I would suspect we see a Mike Vick type situation, where he is out of the league for a bit and then eventually comes back "rehabilitated." 

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Your point was that it takes a conviction to dissuade you from wanting him--my point is that the image is the important thing--not the conviction.  A conviction only tells you what 12 people (or so) thought and how good his attorney was vs. Prosecutors. Money tends to win in the courtrooms, but you want to use convictions as the only determination of his character-it as a excuse when it benefits your cause--but turn the tables, and it is a "terrible analog." Just exposing hypocrisy.  

Does that simplify it enough for you?

The two situations are nothing alike.  We know very little about the Watson case and what little we do know is mostly from one side.  You used one of the most publicized murder cases of all time, one where every detail was shared and broadcast on TV live, has been rehashed and relived in countless documentaries and somehow you twisted it into some hypothetical branding situation thats not based in reality what so ever.  So yeah, its a terrible analog. I'll stand by that.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

This is a business. 

Tell me, OJ Simpson was found to be innocent in a court of law.  Would you hire him to be your company's spokesperson? 

Ray Lewis is one of the most iconic and beloved players in NFL history.  Also not a snitch. 

If OJ had been 25 and capable of putting up a 2k season….I’m not confident he wouldn’t of played again. 

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

With those bust players, people are always going to keep seeing potential, no matter what. Hell, we have a large chunk of people buying into a very obvious bust QB that we traded for based on that potential. So, I do understand how it can be enticing. 

This is a different scenario, however. Watson's abilities are completely unquestioned, it just boils down to whether he is going to be possible to sign for a while. If things go poorly, I would suspect we see a Mike Vick type situation, where he is out of the league for a bit and then eventually comes back "rehabilitated." 

None of those guys were what I'd call "busts" ability wise. They were good to great players who just couldn't stay out of trouble off the field.

We used to have three or four posters on here that it was pretty much guaranteed if you saw somebody was in trouble or in danger of getting suspended, they'd immediately start a thread screaming that we should trade first round picks for them.

• Beer 1