• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Training Camp - Sunday Thread

Zod

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:
14 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I get where you are coming from. 

If our vet guard is one of the worst in the league you would think a rookie could also be one of the worst in the league, but maybe the coaches think they would be next level worst. 🙂

Yeah. I was hoping we would see our young players be the answer and give me a little more hope. Maybe in a couple of years they will be there or maybe we will have filled those holes adequately

I still think that preseason games will answer some of these questions. there have been very limited padded practices so far.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

If BC was regarded as a 2nd round G by us, that’s a top G in the draft since Gs don’t usually go round 1. A G with a 2nd round grade should be expected to beat out Elflein or Miller. They aren’t exactly studs. It would be disappointing if he’s not starting by mid-season even without injuries.

Yeah, but we have to remember that BC never played guard in college, he was strictly LT. Combine that with the fact that most of his reps in camp have been at tackle, and I wouldn't expect him to be beating out vets that have played G for years. He's trying to learn a new position while practicing it sparingly. I think he's a smart, athletic player who will make his splash before the season is up. At least I really hope so. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Good points and I’m not down on BC yet. Some guys take some time. I’m just concerned at this point since our head guys rated him so high at G and G is an easier position to jump in head first.

It'll be nice to see some game action and damn if it seems like we are going to be using a lot of depth at OL this year and not in a good way. Good luck Sam.

I just read that today, with Erving out, they moved Moton to LT1 and Scott to RT1. THAT isn't exactly a good sign for BC.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Good points and I’m not down on BC yet. Some guys take some time. I’m just concerned at this point since our head guys rated him so high at G and G is an easier position to jump in head first.

It'll be nice to see some game action and damn if it seems like we are going to be using a lot of depth at OL this year and not in a good way. Good luck Sam.

Not directed at you specifically but more of a general reminder to all Huddlers, the player we just signed to a lucrative, multi-year contract extension did not start a single game his rookie year.   Let’s compare notes again at the end of the season.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That is another rather concerning thing about BC. The staff seems to have a less than clear idea about what they want to do with him. I know they seem very attached to the idea of versatility, which I don't disagree with for depth OL, but I would like to think they had SOME idea of what he was before they drafted him. It seems more like they just like him as an athlete and expected to plug him in wherever they could.

You are conflating our guesses at what's going on with them not having "SOME idea" of where he'll play.   The 1s have been Erving, Elflein, Paradis, Miller, Moton for a while now.  BC has been taking his reps mostly at RT.   Don't confuse us not knowing what their plan is, or liking the plan, with them not having a plan. 

That isn't a strategy that will works as easily in the NFL as it does college(where it is rather common). 

Ignoring versatility in the NFL is the mistake.  You can have MANY more players on a college team.  There are 5 linemen, ~10 oline roster spots.  If everyone one can play only one position, what happens when 2 linemen go down in the same position?  Versatility on the oline is FAR more important in the NFL than in college.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, stbugs said:

This is not true at all. That’s what we heard about Little as well and I posted all of the day 2 picks that year that got significant starts their rookie years. Saying that rookie OL that excel is the exception isn’t correct. There were tons of starters in the 2019 day 2 picks. In 2020, there were 7 day two picks (I ignored comp picks and the guy who opted out for COVID) since BC was an early 3rd. 3 of the 7 were drafted before BC’s slot and 4 of the 7 after.

5 of the 7 were considered starters and started a minimum of 9 games. One non-starter was a raw T and the other was drafted as a backup on Atlanta whose OL starters were already set. Considering BC has below average OL in front of him, he’s got a great chance to start if he’s really good. Again, it’s not rare for OL rookie starters unless you are talking about day 4/UDFA players.

I said rookies, not 2nd day picks, but out of curiosity who are the 2nd day picks in 2020 you are referring to?

I see 5 listed as OT, of which only 2 played more than half the games.

Also just because you are started doesn't' mean you are good.

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That is another rather concerning thing about BC. The staff seems to have a less than clear idea about what they want to do with him. I know they seem very attached to the idea of versatility, which I don't disagree with for depth OL, but I would like to think they had SOME idea of what he was before they drafted him. It seems more like they just like him as an athlete and expected to plug him in wherever they could.

That isn't a strategy that will works as easily in the NFL as it does college(where it is rather common). 

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he getting most of his snaps at RT?

42 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

You are conflating our guesses at what's going on with them not having "SOME idea" of where he'll play. 

This happens frequently around here. People make statements and suddenly that's what the coaches/FO are thinking. It would be funny if people didn't actually take it so seriously.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

You are conflating our guesses at what's going on with them not having "SOME idea" of where he'll play.   The 1s have been Erving, Elflein, Paradis, Miller, Moton for a while now.  BC has been taking his reps mostly at RT.   Don't confuse us not knowing what their plan is, or liking the plan, with them not having a plan. 

Ignoring versatility in the NFL is the mistake.  You can have MANY more players on a college team.  There are 5 linemen, ~10 oline roster spots.  If everyone one can play only one position, what happens when 2 linemen go down in the same position?  Versatility on the oline is FAR more important in the NFL than in college.  

Their own words and actions seem pretty indicative of them not really having a clear plan for him. It seems like they just saw the athleticism and ability then had the idea to try him a few different areas to see the best fit. I don't even necessarily disagree with that thought process had we been in a stronger position along the line in general. So, for us he was a 3rd round project player. Not the best use of a 3rd rounder, IMO.

I don't disagree with the idea of having versatile offensive lineman. But you also need to be good at something. Good example being Erving. Has been used at just about every position along the line. Also happened to be pretty bad at most of them. Again, not a bad IDEA but you need to be at least of average quality at some of those positions. 

I am not giving up on BC yet, I am just have concerns to see him buried so deep on the depth chart when we all know how poor some of the players are ahead of him. It's definitely not what I was expecting. We have to hope the light comes on sooner rather than later because he is one of the few guys on the roster that has a high ceiling.

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not giving up on BC yet, I am just have concerns to see him buried so deep on the depth chart when we all know how poor some of the players are ahead of him. It's definitely not what I was expecting. We have to hope the light comes on sooner rather than later because he is one of the few guys on the roster that has a high ceiling.

Williams didn't play much his first year and became a 2nd team all pro.  Moton didn't play much his first year and we franchised him.  If you're concerned about BC you must have worried about Williams in the 2015 preseason and Moton in the 2017 preseason.  

We don't even know how much BC is going to play this year.  

You must be constantly "concerned".  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1