• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riot Report gives reasons for optimism on Arnold

top dawg

We've all heard the good reviews on Dan Arnold during camp so far. And, by listening to yesterday's presser, I've concluded that he is a very cerebral player who is keen to master and use the nuances of the position to exploit the opposition.

Vincent at the Riot Report adds to the optimism on Arnold by giving us some apropos comparisons to our last great TE, Greg Olsen. The correlations are interesting, if not compelling. I would suggest reading the article, but here are a couple of tidbits to wet your appetite:

"Through his first four seasons in Chicago, Olsen averaged just over five targets-per-game, and while that is not nothing, during his three-year prime in Carolina that increased to nearly eight targets a game. For Arnold, there is the potential for even greater change, as last season in Arizona he averaged under 3 targets a game...if he is able to maintain the same efficiency while increasing his targets to five per game then his numbers should jump significantly."

"Where Arnold has an advantage over Olsen at this point is in how he has been used to this point. During his time in Chicago, Olsen averaged around ten yards-per-reception each season, a number which jumped to around twelve during his first season in Carolina and then stayed there. Arnold, by contrast, averaged a little over fourteen yards-per-reception last season in Arizona, and already uses his vertical speed as a major part of his game."

Vincent has other comparisons, including the curve for blocking. Arnold's desire is to be an every-down TE, and he realizes in order to do this, that he's going to have to improve his blocking, much like Olsen did while he was in Charlotte. So, again, there are similarities. Read the complete article, as it's nice food for thought.

https://theriotreport.com/dan-arnold-looking-to-become-the-panthers-next-great-te/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dan-arnold-looking-to-become-the-panthers-next-great-te

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, My Chuck Dont Matter said:

The last Panther the media was hyping was just cut a couple days ago (David Moore). I guess Arnold is next. 

I literally haven't heard anything on Moore since the beginning of camp until he got cut.

Your comparison to Arnold is a bad troll job. You can do better.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Darnold to Arnold should have Chris Berman drooling.  If Arnold and CMC become Darnold's safety net our only major concern will be if our O-Line can hold up long enough to utilize them.

My only worry is that he develops into a Olsen Clone but leave after his 2 year deal.   Hopefully, Tremble will develop into a good TE giving us the opportunity to let him walk after 2022. 

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Darnold to Arnold should have Chris Berman drooling.  If Arnold and CMC become Darnold's safety net our only major concern will be if our O-Line can hold up long enough to utilize them.

My only worry is that he develops into a Olsen Clone but leave after his 2 year deal.   Hopefully, Tremble will develop into a good TE giving us the opportunity to let him walk after 2022. 

If he develops into a prime Olsen clone, pay the man and retain him.  Arnold and Tremble in two TE sets could be very effective.

• Beer 2

13 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If Arnold proves to be all that. You have to pay him. We cannot continue to keep letting young talent walk. Draft well, and keep your own. That's the Hubby way. lol

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

If Arnold proves to be all that. You have to pay him. We cannot continue to keep letting young talent walk. Draft well, and keep your own. That's the Hubby way. lol

True, but if Tremble turns out to be a solid TE you, as you say, keep your drafted talent.  Paying two top dollar TE is tough in this age of the salary cap. 

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

True, but if Tremble turns out to be a solid TE you, as you say, keep your drafted talent.  Paying two top dollar TE is tough in this age of the salary cap. 

Projecting forward, I wouldn't think either one would be too awfully expensive. You may be able to pay both of them, for the price of one really good one.