• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen ...

Zod

35 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

You know it.  

You and I have lived through all of the recycled QBs from coaches who thought what the had was enough 

The number of QBs, Fox alone, passed on in free agency (Brees cones immediately to mind) and the draft is sad 

when you have a chance at Fields you take it, big pla for a big school in big games. Darnold never achieved that level 

horn is a nice CB, but he neither sells tickets or touches the ball the way a QB does 

There's a certain Rose Bowl game you need to see. 

8 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I liked the pick, despite his age and BYU's doodoo comp, because his athletic measurables were some of the highest from an OL measured relative to his position, which fell in line with pretty much all of our picks.  Pairing that draft profile along with his experience and history as a starter there and the year they had, despite the obvious issues with it being BYU, I was excited for his potential.

All that being said, as we have seen time and again, athleticism doesn't make you a great football player and competition matters - respectively, neither determine success or failure alone, but they do matter.  The fact they didn't give him a single look with first team today tells me it's likely at best he ends up a solid backup.  He could be a late bloomer,, but being a 24 year old rookie,, I doubt it.  Very disappointing, but still hope he is just taking a while to get adjusted.

I won't get super concerned unless it's the same story at camp next year. I just hope we field a decent OL this year. I was pounding the table for Wyatt Davis but I hope Christensen turns out to be the far better pro. We'll see.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Zod said:

From what I gather, Christensen had zero reps with the first string. On a day with multiple first stringers being out.

I don't think we will see him at all this year unless there are numerous of injuries.

Where is he playing with the second team?

Are they trying him out at different spots, or have they settled on one?

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Part of that pick was about re-energizing Aaron Rodgers. He was three years removed from MVP caliber play. Regardless of how Love turns out, that part of the plan went perfectly to plan. 

I'm not sure wasting a 1st round pick is the smartest way to motivate a QB. Wouldn't a 2nd, or even 3rd round pick be just as effective? I mean, there has to be better ways to try and motivate someone, than throwing away a 1st round pick. IMO, that is kinda expensive for a motivational tool.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I'm not sure wasting a 1st round pick is the smartest way to motivate a QB. Wouldn't a 2nd, or even 3rd round pick be just as effective? I mean, there has to be better ways to try and motivate someone, than throwing away a 1st round pick. IMO, that is kinda expensive for a motivational tool.

Not for getting MVP caliber play. Even if Love is a bust, if they get two years of MVP caliber play out of Rodgers then he forces his trade and they bring in a haul for him that pick will have been a massive success.

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Part of that pick was about re-energizing Aaron Rodgers. He was three years removed from MVP caliber play. Regardless of how Love turns out, that part of the plan went perfectly to plan. 

It may have gotten Rodgers the MVP, but it really didn't help the team.

In 2019 they were 13-3 and  lost the NFC Championship.   
In 2020 they were 13-3 and  lost the NFC Championship.   

But now Rodgers is on his way out with his 3rd MVP so the Packers have that going for them.  

I agree with your original point that you need to draft depth and that applies to many positions.  I just think QB is a little different.

Edited by SBBlue

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not for getting MVP caliber play. Even if Love is a bust, if they get two years of MVP caliber play out of Rodgers then he forces his trade and they bring in a haul for him that pick will have been a massive success.

I don't think you realize how rare Rodgers is.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

I don't think you realize how rare Rodgers is.

Oh I'm fully aware, but they had another one in Favre when they drafted him. They liked Love a lot and Rodgers was at a similar age so they took him.

It's why I didn't want to pass on Fields due to Darnold being on the roster. You have to keep swinging until you find the answer. I just really hope that we simply weren't high on Fields because if we were and we passed that was a big mistake.

38 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree with 99% of what you post, but not this. Rodgers wasn’t struggling or needing to be “re-energized” and you don’t use a first round pick to do that. He wanted more weapons and they traded up to draft his successor in the first. I mean GB was knocking on the door of the Super Bowl the past few years (they were in the NFC championship game the prior year). Love has contributed nothing so far and now Adams is wanting his money now because he knows this might be Aaron’s last year. They had to have an emergency meeting with their shareholders and rework Aaron’s contract. The whole thing was a botched poo show. Meanwhile TB gave Brady what he wanted, loaded him up with weapons and won the Super Bowl…

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree with 99% of what you post, but not this. Rodgers wasn’t struggling or needing to be “re-energized” and you don’t use a first round pick to do that. He wanted more weapons and they traded up to draft his successor in the first. I mean GB was knocking on the door of the Super Bowl the past few years (they were in the NFC championship game the prior year). Love has contributed nothing so far and now Adams is wanting his money now because he knows this might be Aaron’s last year. They had to have an emergency meeting with their shareholders and rework Aaron’s contract. The whole thing was a botched poo show. Meanwhile TB gave Brady what he wanted, loaded him up with weapons and won the Super Bowl…

He wasn't "struggling" but he was years removed from MVP caliber play. Enter Jordan Love and *poof* Rodgers is the MVP again. The two things aren't unrelated.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I think the arm talent narrative is greatly overrated. 

I still think the bust odds on Wilson and Lance are super high.  

Lance looks very promising in practices. The only issue he's had is the handoff with the rbs, and correcting that just comes with chemistry and reps. 

I told you guys that Lance would be good, and he's well on his way according to Shanahan and local media.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I am just not sure I would go about it that way. Unless you are planning on a near future without Rodgers? 

Long term. I would try and draft well, and manage FA well. Try my darndest to build  a good team around him. Make him happy, by giving him a team that can compete for a SB.

If Rodgers were on my team? I'd bend over backwards for him. Make him feel wanted Then you can count on his best.

IMO, he deserves better than GB anywho.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh I'm fully aware, but they had another one in Favre when they drafted him. They liked Love a lot and Rodgers was at a similar age so they took him.

It's why I didn't want to pass on Fields due to Darnold being on the roster. You have to keep swinging until you find the answer. I just really hope that we simply weren't high on Fields because if we were and we passed that was a big mistake.

I think they are just high on Darnold and they aren't the only ones.  Kiper and the other analyst on draft day said Darnold would be #2 in the 2021 draft, even after knowing what happened in NY.   Believe it or not, some people think Darnold is better than Fields.  

Given that, if you could add any defensive player you wanted or Fields, the choice becomes easy, because you're covered at QB.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Packers drafted a QB in the 1st last year while having arguably the best QB in the NFL on their roster. He won the NFL MVP award. If you're holding hands in this league you're doing it wrong. If you're passing on talented prospects because you're sold on a bust reclamation project then you're really doing it wrong. I hope we simply didn't have Fields rated that highly as a prospect, because if we did and we passed then this current leadership is likely to get us nowhere. A quality QB on a rookie contract is the most valuable roster asset in today's NFL.

1 hour ago, My Chuck Dont Matter said:

We don’t know that the Panthers have Fields ranked below Horn. We know that the Panthers think highly or at least hope that Darnold can succeed during his time here in Carolina. And, they didn’t want Darnold to feel pressure from Fields. 

I think the Broncos passing on fields speaks MUCH more than panthers, cause they needed a QB more than us. 

Im easy on the panthers for passing on fields, cause I was not a fan until 20s...late 20s. I drove the lance spaceship til ginger cringer became a panther. 

• Pie 2