• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Christensen ...

Zod

3 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

Without acquiring Darnold, we likely trade up for the QB we actually wanted. Or we pick Horn and sign someone else. But we would not pick Fields or Jones at #8 even had we not had Darnold because if that was the case, we would've picked Fields or Jones anyway. That's the way it works. A lot of people questioned why pick Keuchly with Beason on the roster. You pick the guy you you think is worthy of the pick. Fields was not that guy.

That may turn out to be a bad decision, but they weren't letting him get away if they actually believed he had a good chance to become a Franchise QB.

Beason wasn't traded for 3 weeks earlier.

Its not that they thought Fields had a 100% chance and Darnold had a 20%.  They probably thought they both were fairly close in chance of being successful.  

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The bust rate argument also doesn't hold up when you trade for an actual draft bust. The failure rate of bust reclamation projects is extremely high.

Yeah, if you want to make the bust rate justification for why you avoided QBs…you then go pull a Marty Hurney and go draft Etienne or Parsons or some bullshit.  The logic at least holds better.  

concur about the bust rehab experiments having super high failure rates too. 

It’s why I take what they say with a grain of salt.  NFL teams and coaches are always bullshitting and lying to the masses.  Doubtful we have first transparent and honest FO. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Yeah, if you want to make the bust rate justification for why you avoided QBs…you then go pull a Marty Hurney and go draft Etienne or Parsons or some bullshit.  The logic at least holds better.  

concur about the bust rehab experiments having super high failure rates too. 

It’s why I take what they say with a grain of salt.  NFL teams and coaches are always bullshitting and lying to the masses.  Doubtful we have first transparent and honest FO. 

They will say whatever they need in order to save face/justify their decisions. I always get a good chuckle when people say “no one from the organization has said that!” I’m like yeah they aren’t going to say anything to make them look bad. Imagine Rhule “yeah that didn’t go the way we thought at all. We would have done things differently if we knew this.” 

30 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Why are you going to waste the 8 pick on a guy that you might consider marginally better or worse or the same. 

You've been arguing that if we'd had the number three pick, we'd have taken Fields.

Now you say they think he's "marginally better or worse" than Darnold?

How exactly do you equate "marginally better or worse" than Darnold to being worth the number three overall pick?

(yet somehow still not with the number eight)

Oy...

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They will say whatever they need in order to save face/justify their decisions. I always get a good chuckle when people say “no one from the organization has said that!” I’m like yeah they aren’t going to say anything to make them look bad. Imagine Rhule “yeah that didn’t go the way we thought at all. We would have done things differently if we knew this.” 

If I actually thought they'd make franchise altering football decisions just to not look bad, I'd want them fired right now. It would be like we never got rid of Marty Hurney.

That'd be stupid beyond imagining.

Edited by Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Beason wasn't traded for 3 weeks earlier.

So your argument is that the draft capital used to acquire Darnold somehow factors in to not taking Fields or Jones? Because if it's not Darnold's mere presence on the roster, I'm not sure what difference it makes when he was acquired.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If I actually thought they'd make franchise altering football decisions just to not look bad, I'd want them fired right now. It would be like we never got rid of Marty Hurney.

That'd be stupid beyond imagining.

Missing the point. They aren’t going to disclose much to make them look wrong in projections or the process in general. I don’t think anything is viewed as franchise altering so far. For example when they drafted Marshall and Christensen (thread title shout out) they were eager to tell everyone “yeah we knew he would be there with our third but Marshall wouldn’t so we got two high values picks” there is no telling how many times they tried that and failed with other players. We more than likely won’t hear about it aside from a random source hear and there. They are not going to disclose info that makes them look bad.

29 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

So your argument is that the draft capital used to acquire Darnold somehow factors in to not taking Fields or Jones? Because if it's not Darnold's mere presence on the roster, I'm not sure what difference it makes when he was acquired.

Need was met with Darnold. As simple as that. They even said Darnold allows them to draft BPA. Still needing an important position like the QB will make teams reach. Was Wilson really the second best player in the draft or did the Jets really need a QB?

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Need was met with Darnold. As simple as that. They even said Darnold allows them to draft BPA. Still needing an important position like the QB will make teams reach. Was Wilson really the second best player in the draft or did the Jets really need a QB?

They said a LOT of stuff prior to the draft...you can't take that as gospel. You think they are gonna show their hand at that point? If they wanted Fields or Jones at 8, regardless of Darnold, you don't think they would've picked one of them?

I honestly don't know how they ranked the QB prospects. I just know they didn't think Fields or Jones were franchise QBs or they would've picked one of them. As you say, it's as simple as that. Don't listen to what they say before the draft, watch what they do. That tells you more about their big board than any nonsense they say to the press.

41 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Missing the point. They aren’t going to disclose much to make them look wrong in projections or the process in general. I don’t think anything is viewed as franchise altering so far. For example when they drafted Marshall and Christensen (thread title shout out) they were eager to tell everyone “yeah we knew he would be there with our third but Marshall wouldn’t so we got two high values picks” there is no telling how many times they tried that and failed with other players. We more than likely won’t hear about it aside from a random source hear and there. They are not going to disclose info that makes them look bad.

Marty made decisions based on how it made him look.

If our current guys think that way, I don't want 'em.

Football decisions are made for one reason and one reason only, to win games.

If you're not making the best decision to help us win games, you don't deserve the job.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Marty made decisions based on how it made him look.

If our current guys think that way, I don't want 'em.

Football decisions are made for one reason and one reason only, to win games.

If you're not making the best decision to help us win games, you don't deserve the job.

Im not talking about the decisions as much as what gets out to us fans. If they messed up in the process they certainly don’t want us to know. The same goes for every organization out there. 
But yeah you are right. They should always do what’s best for the organization not just what makes them look good. They seem to be following that well too. Drafting a young QB would get fans more excited then trying to revive one, but I think they are doing what they think is best.

51 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

They said a LOT of stuff prior to the draft...you can't take that as gospel. You think they are gonna show their hand at that point? If they wanted Fields or Jones at 8, regardless of Darnold, you don't think they would've picked one of them?

I honestly don't know how they ranked the QB prospects. I just know they didn't think Fields or Jones were franchise QBs or they would've picked one of them. As you say, it's as simple as that. Don't listen to what they say before the draft, watch what they do. That tells you more about their big board than any nonsense they say to the press.

I agree 100%. I think they feel Darnold can be a franchise QB and very well could feel the same about Fields and Jones. The only point I was making was acquiring Darnold went into the equation of not drafting a QB early. Had they not had Darnold there is a good chance we draft one.

• Beer 1