• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Steve Smith be a First Ballot HOF?

SBBlue

Will Steve Smith be a First Ballot HOF?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Will Steve Smith be a First Ballot HOF?

• Hell yes. The man's a legend.
    • Not yet...but it is inevitable.
    • Nope, never. Its a cruel world. Ice up son.

13 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I think there's accomplishment voting when it's not deniable like TB12 will be and then there's some it's this guy's turn voting. That's why I think he may not get in first run through. There may be some voting that end up saying others have been waiting. Not that their merits are greater than Smitty, just the length of the wait, that's all. I kind of see it all as multifaceted process. 

Yeah, it will be interesting to see it play out. I'd like to see him be our first ballot guy but I supposed if he isn't, we know Peppers will be.

Nope.. not because he doesn't deserve to.  It's about the media and their "criteria".  If they docked T.0. they are gonna dock Smitty (teammate fight)/small market.  

Now, maybe that he's in the media there may be some more support than before, but I don't think so. 

• Pie 1

I wouldn't want to be the selection committee member who votes against Smitty

He won't be first ballot, even though he probably should be.  Only one season, but he's one of what, 3 modern era WRs with a Triple Crown? If we'd won a SB, he's in. If he played in a bigger market, he's in.  Unfortunately he's probably going to wait. 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree. Hands down the greatest returner in NFL history. 

Eh, I've always felt like Hester is a bit overrated. Still a weapon and an excellent player, no question, but the TD stat that gets trotted out frequently on his behalf saw more than half of them scored his first two years, which to me points as much to the unit itself as to Hester. A guy like Dante Hall arguably made bigger things happen of his own accord.

I'm not saying Hall or any other returned deserves to get in over Hester, and more than anything I'm just playing devil's advocate to Hester's case. I bet he gets in at some point and if he does, the voters will have spoken and no real complaints.

With respect to Smitty he absolutely deserves to be in the Hall. As others have pointed out though there are a number of folks that also deserve strong consideration and Steve may have to wait a while while the numbers work themselves out.

I'm all in on first ballot.  He was probably the most feared WR of his era.  He terrorized DBs and DC for most of his 16 seasons.  A rare triple crown winner in 2005.  His highlight reel i could watch over and over again.  

I won't be shocked if he doesn't get in but If I were a betting man (which I'm not) I'd bet he gets in first ballot. 

10 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think it is what, 5 modern era guys per year? Is that right?

Yes.  5 modern era of the guys still eligible.  Then after like 15 years you go off the ballot I think and it's a write in thing, I think. I think this is the last year for Sam Mills FYI.

• Beer 1