• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hey y'all remember when...

Zod

20 minutes ago, KSpan said:

2014 was not that long ago. Bell, Silatolu, and Chandler all on the same line by design... tough to beat that.

PNP did a great analysis of Panthers offensive line PFF history and how it compares based the SB champs that year.  The chart is at 10:12.

While practice means very little in this marathon of a season, what sticks out to me in this comparison to the 2015 season is that that team made several acquisitions as the season went on that got us over the hump and helped us really hit our stride as the season went on (Jared Allen, Remmers, Finnegan)...  I feel this team will have to do the exact same thing to make it a successful season, so it's good these practices are really highlighting those areas of need.

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

While practice means very little in this marathon of a season, what sticks out to me in this comparison to the 2015 season is that that team made several acquisitions as the season went on that got us over the hump and helped us really hit our stride as the season went on (Jared Allen, Remmers, Finnegan)...  I feel this team will have to do the exact same thing to make it a successful season, so it's good these practices are really highlighting those areas of need.

That and an MVP QB with a unique skill set who could make up for the rest of the offensive shortcomings largely single handedly... and a D that played out of their minds.

I just don't see much of a chance for this crew to replicate 2015. The pieces just aren't there.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That and an MVP QB with a unique skillet who could make up for the rest of the offensive shortcomings largely single handedly... and a D that played out of their minds.

I just don't see much of a chance for this crew to replicate 2015. The pieces just aren't there.

Well, you know how much I love Cam, but tbh, I didnt think even HE could've done what he ended up doing with that roster in 2015, until he did it.  That roster was a mess, especially offensively...  They legit had Cotchery as our #1 receiver by design, and he still ended up getting outproduced by Ginn lol.  So, you know I agree 1000% about, Cam...  and that defense, too.  

I feel this defense has a chance to be special too, but I'm really worried about LB...  I feel everything defensively is gonna hinge on that group; the line and secondary are eventually going to be elite, imo.

But, on offense, because we don't have a guy like Cam who can just put a whole 10 other people on his back and will them to victory, we definitely need to shore up the line...  it's a much more pressing issue with a guy like Sam back there, and it's also important to get some continuity for CMC's sake as well.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I feel this defense has a chance to be special too, but I'm really worried about LB...  I feel everything defensively is gonna hinge on that group; the line and secondary are eventually going to be elite, imo.

I might be crazy, but I think by the end of the first quarter of the season (take a game or so ... the danged math no longer works out) our linebacking group will be better than good. Shaq won't be trying to cover for that turd in cleats Whitehead. Carter will show what he's got and I think we may see Perryman resurgent. Or Jeremy Chinn playing more in LB positions.

I've got a good feeling about that very undersung group.

1 hour ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

It's practice I get it, but I can't recall a time where our O-line has the potential to be historically gross. 

Lol are you new?

The oline ranked 17 over the last decade and 18 last year. That’s the average. Over 11 years.

A couple of those years were absolutely wretched.

One of those years was average.

One of those years was good.

One was above average.

The majority was below average.

If you were to bet money with this information, it’d go on below average teetering towards wretched.

How many teams went to the SB without a top 10 oline in the past 20 years?

Like 3. Literally.

If we keep on this train expecting an above average oline to hit us like lightning every 6 years we are utterly fuged.

Edited by onmyown

1 hour ago, frankw said:

That 2015 team had veteran leadership present and the Panthers had also been competitive within the division winning the south three years running. It's a long road ahead to be anywhere near that coming off back to back 5 win seasons and a 2-10 divisional record 🤷‍♂️

That's really sweet of you to acknowledge how great Ron Rivera was. 

Lmao