• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dropping my son off at UNCC Friday

Ncpantherfan71

Sorry about the off topic thread.

I know many of you are in Charlotte or from the area.  I am not very familiar with the city.  What are the areas he should avoid and what areas are fairly safe?  What is a reasonably  priced place close to campus to grab dinner before we leave him and head home?

Thanks in advance. 

• Pie 1

Charlotte is a safe city. There is really no area you couldn’t walk through and be fine. It isn’t a large city like that.

The ‘shady’ areas though would be pretty much directly west. And directly east until hitting Mint Hill.

There are some spotty areas around UNCC but nothing major.

None of it is really major. If you’ve navigated around cities like Shitlanta, LA (or really any city in CA sides SF), NYC, Detroit, Portland, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Miami, Las Vegas, etc etc. Charlotte is a cakewalk in every sense of the word.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Ncpantherfan71 said:

Sorry about the off topic thread.

I know many of you are in Charlotte or from the area.  I am not very familiar with the city.  What are the areas he should avoid and what areas are fairly safe?  What is a reasonably  priced place close to campus to grab dinner before we leave him and head home?

Thanks in advance. 

Well I lived in the north side(where uncc is) for about 7 years. It was fairly safe. Mostly young people college students and all. Plenty of decent food and verity.. however a lot has changed since then. The north side has exploded with the addition of the metro rail and a boon of northerners moving into that area...

cost of rent has went up crime as well. Use to be able to rent a one bed room student dwelling for about 230 a month. Lights cable internet all included. Now...good luck. West side is probably the most notorious... there is a area along the north I would stay away from...sugar creek hidden valley... east side also isn't great... the south side is probably where all the wealthy people live.. football players and athletes..

I mean charlotte itself isn't Chicago...I dout you get shot for walking outside.. random things do occur.  All and all I think he will be fine.

Edited by micnificent28
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, onmyown said:

Charlotte is a safe city. There is really no area you couldn’t walk through and be fine. It isn’t a large city like that.

The ‘shady’ areas though would be pretty much directly west. And directly east until hitting Mint Hill.

There are some spotty areas around UNCC but nothing major.

None of it is really major. If you’ve navigated around cities like Shitlanta, LA (or really any city in CA sides SF), NYC, Detroit, Portland, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Miami, Las Vegas, etc etc. Charlotte is a cakewalk in every sense of the word.

Thanks for the info.  I am retired Air Force and he hasn't lived around any big cities.  The roughest place he has been exposed to is where we live now,, Fayetteville.  We pretty much know where to avoid around here.

The area around uncc honestly isn’t great, but he’ll be fine. Typical college area stuff. I’m sure he’ll spend his time on campus or taking the light rail uptown. 

As for food, nothing special up that way really. I grab dinner around there every Thursday night. Lots of ‘typical’ places right by campus to choose from. Just pull up your google map.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

The area around uncc honestly isn’t great, but he’ll be fine. Typical college area stuff. I’m sure he’ll spend his time on campus or taking the light rail uptown. 

As for food, nothing special up that way really. I grab dinner around there every Thursday night. Lots of ‘typical’ places right by campus to choose from. Just pull up your google map.

Thanks.  He is staying on campus and is taking his car.  He is 22 and has a good head on his shoulders, but like all parents I will worry a little.  I will be sure to tell him to stay aware of his surroundings around campus. 

He went to NCSU for a year, but I am from the Raleigh area and knew the areas to avoid. 

1 hour ago, Ncpantherfan71 said:

Thanks for the info.  I am retired Air Force and he hasn't lived around any big cities.  The roughest place he has been exposed to is where we live now,, Fayetteville.  We pretty much know where to avoid around here.

I imagine Fayetteville is a rougher city than Charlotte. 

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I imagine Fayetteville is a rougher city than Charlotte. 

Thats good to know.  We live in the country outside Fayetteville and I avoid going into the more questionable areas after dark. 

Sounds like he should be ok as long as he stays smart and keeps his eyes open.