• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delta variant has hit our house

Zod

40 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

As I've said, there are plenty of arguments for both sides.  I don't judge either way.  I trust natural antibodies over any vaccines that have been rushed onto the market. 

The problem is that your point is provably wrong, and dangerous to frame as truthful. There are no arguments for these vaccine mRNAs staying in the body since it doesn't happen. mRNA does not just hang out, full stop. It exists for the purposes of translation in the cytoplasm of the cell, and upon use in translation it is broken down. Full stop. Your own body has your own mRNA constantly in your cells doing work, with the only difference being that your mRNA was transcribed from your nucleic DNA. mRNA is a product of transcription and can not possibly interact with DNA since they are two entirely different things. The proteins do remain for a period of time just like any other protein but that's the whole point, to stimulate immune response at no risk of having the actual virus present.

Also, there is no such thing as 'unnatural antibodies' - the immune system reacts to foreign compounds/materials/xenobiotics/etc that enter your body constantly, and this absolutely includes nucleic acids from outside sources through the food you eat, air you breath, water you drink, material that comes into contact with your eyes/open wounds, etc. The issue with what you seem to be proposing is also that acute infection is generally required to gain a strong immunity level, and that's the whole problem since long term outcomes are so variable.

It is true that there are gene therapies our there that use things like retroviral vectors to edit genetic code, but that is an entirely different and unrelated technology to these vaccines. This is not something like Herpes simplex though, which is a DNA-carrying virus that does insert itself into code of nerve cells. 

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 9

39 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

Sounds to me that many of the Huddler's don't believe in natural antibodies.  Sorry if it offends you that I do.

You accidentally stumbled onto a good point here with a specific word choice. A lot of people are letting what they "believe" get in the way of what good data is actually showing and they bolster these beliefs with anecdotal occurrences and "friend of a friend" stories. There is ample data showing that the vaccines are safe and effective. They still provide good protection against transmission, even against Delta. Yes, the protection is reduced but it is still good. They provide very good protection against the development of serious illness. The data is out there.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, Zod said:

Two teenagers in our household tested positive tonight. Both are sick and out of commission. 

This thing is no joke.

Please, get vaccinated and help put and end to this.

Schools will not be open at this rate.

As a hospital employee I can tell you first hand that it is no joke, I am in Florida. Rooms have 2 patients per room and running out of space. If you think its a joke and don’t get the vaccine I feel bad for you and your family. Listen to Medical professionals not Tucker Carlson! I hope your kids recover with no issues.

Edited by rdog157h
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

I feel some people believe the body is equipped to just handle any situation that pops up. That's not always true. Many viruses Aids ..Ebola things like that have a almost guaranteeded death tag tied to it without scientific intervention. Viruses are said to be smarter than people in some aspects.

They are always evolving and mutating to adapt to a ever changing world. Bacteria have mutated to be immune to many medications and you have people still saying..."let nature run its course". 

• Pie 2

I literally just read this article about 10 minutes ago.

Forget Beating Covid-19. Europe Is Preparing to Live With It. (msn.com)

The EU has never lifted mask mandates for indoor activities only outdoor activities in small numbers. 

The vaccination rate is higher even though they received the vaccines much later and their resistance to them is much less with the bulk of the population only recently having access to them. A few EU countries are even predicting near 80% vaccination by early September.

The death rate for the Delta Variant is half that of the US and with vaccinations happening daily, the number of new cases has dropped significantly since a peak in July. 

It has nothing to do with politics. Even in the US. The most vaccine hesitant demographics in the US are actually Blacks and Hispanics which are mostly Democrats. Among whites, Republicans are more resistant but they are not alone. 

The Virus is a reality. It kills people and will continue to do so. The vaccination greatly reduces the risks of not only death but hospitalization. It may not be 100% but it's close and it's the best we have at the moment. 

My entire family is vaccinated minus my youngest who will be in January when she turns 12. Vaccines are literally saving people lives. Everyone, please strongly consider getting vaccinated so that everyone can live long enough to hold the people who unleashed this upon us accountable and brought to justice for what they have done. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I literally just read this article about 10 minutes ago.

Forget Beating Covid-19. Europe Is Preparing to Live With It. (msn.com)

The EU has never lifted mask mandates for indoor activities only outdoor activities in small numbers. 

The vaccination rate is higher even though they received the vaccines much later and their resistance to them is much less with the bulk of the population only recently having access to them. A few EU countries are even predicting near 80% vaccination by early September.

The death rate for the Delta Variant is half that of the US and with vaccinations happening daily, the number of new cases has dropped significantly since a peak in July. 

It has nothing to do with politics. Even in the US. The most vaccine hesitant demographics in the US are actually Blacks and Hispanics which are mostly Democrats. Among whites, Republicans are more resistant but they are not alone. 

The Virus is a reality. It kills people and will continue to do so. The vaccination greatly reduces the risks of not only death but hospitalization. It may not be 100% but it's close and it's the best we have at the moment. 

My entire family is vaccinated minus my youngest who will be in January when she turns 12. Vaccines are literally saving people lives. Everyone, please strongly consider getting vaccinated so that everyone can live long enough to hold the people who unleashed this upon us accountable and brought to justice for what they have done. 

Great post...  this was the info I was referring to in one of my earlier posts where I read last week that the UK was projecting better than they had at any point since the pandemic started and they cited it was due to their 70+% vaccination rate at the time i read the article.  If there is no greater indicator of their efficacy, there you have it.

And I agree that there is hesitancy that doesn't fall in line with any specific political ideology, but the more vocal and blatant voices I hear and see on social media about not masking up or getting the vaccine are uber conservative.  But then I also have friends who are hesitant about getting the vaccine but take the other precautions, and I sense theirs is just simply a distrust of gov't, which I understand and empathize with, but there is enough data out there that proves regardless of government, country, etc., the vaccines work.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

Just a random fan that sees people like you who make everything under the sun political at all times a societal joke. Get out in your community and make a positive difference if you're so passionate about your politics. 

Vaccines are political? If that's the case everything is. People like you who would rather be comfortable in their sheltered lofty lives who have the entitlement to hide from issues. The I don't want to hear about whats going on in the world crowd it makes me uncomfortable as I watch my football crowd.

If it offended you chances are it hit its marker crowd.

• Poo 1

Everyone is going to get this virus at some point whether you've been vaccinated or not, I hope all of you know that.  The difference is I hope us vaccinated folks don't die from it. I'm pretty sure I've had it already early last year but I got the vaccine anyway.   Will get the booster if I need to.  

Having said that I encourage anyone that hasn’t gotten it already to get it.  I understand all the hesitation of taking a vaccination that's not FDA approved.  I got mine in March of this year and I'm still kicking and haven't grown any extra appendages, yet.  Just kidding.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2

5 hours ago, countryboi said:

not that this is going to change your mind and this may have changed with the delta but antibodies from OG COVID slow return to normal levels and only last for maybe 3 months. you can certainly get sick again, I have personally seen it. 

People that have had the vaccine are also getting sick again.  There are so many different opinions you have to make your decision based on what you, personally, feel good about.  I've read where natural antibodies are stronger and last longer but I've also read the opposite. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2