• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If the Jaguars are showcasing Gardner Minshew, plenty of teams should be interested

WarPanthers89

38 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't think worst case scenario is Darnold isn't competent and we have a bad season. I think worst case is a season in which we win enough games to be out of position to have our pick of a few QBs and we still don't have an answer at QB because of whomever played not being the answer .

But I agree backup qb seems a big problem overall .  I'm all in for Darnold now.  I would like a veteran backup on waivers, but Minshew isn't that.  If he really would be totally dirt cheap then maybe, but I don't want to invest more draft capital in long shots after Darnold.

As to the potential, that relates to physical strengths. Minshew isn't terrible in those regards,and has played a lot better than Darnold mostly, but he really isn't physically gifted and while it's certainly early enough for us to be wrong, he just doesn't seem like he's a long term solution at QB. 

I agree. Mediocre Darnold is the real nightmare scenario. IMO, regular Darnold and good Darnold are the most likely outcomes. 

The truth is, we aren't likely to make any moves at QB in 2021 without some injuries. The thought of dumpster diving or trading for a QB is just a fantasy some like to entertain. 

Honestly, the same goes for the bulk of our team. I don't think we are going to get a lot of value from post cut dumpster diving.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, travisura said:

Honestly, I don't want a Plan B if Darnold sh*ts the bed this year. Minshew would keep us in draft purgatory. If Darnold is truly a bust then let him get us a high draft pick.

Yeah, I mean most of our non-idiot fans feel the same way. Darnold should be fine because if doesn't change any from the Jets, we will be a top 8 pick and if he shows he is the guy, the problem is solved.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I mean most of our non-idiot fans feel the same way. Darnold should be fine because if doesn't change any from the Jets, we will be a top 8 pick and if he shows he is the guy, the problem is solved.

If he is the guy from the Jets we will be picking in the middle of the pack. 

that’s the Darnold problem. 

We got to 8 last year because CMC essentially misses the entire season

27 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Darnold does have top tier arm talent and some ability to make something out of nothing. More than Minshew, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, Minshew has been leaps and bounds a better NFL QB to date but the top end for Darnold is actually high.

Minshew is more the school ground QB IMO.  

That why he had more success than Darnold to date.  He is better at making something happen IMO

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/17/jaguars-cut-tim-The Golden Calf of Bristol/

Forget Minshew. We have a shot at The Golden Calf of Bristol now that he's been released was released by the Jaguars today. He's the best backup option on the market right now. If we don't use him as a QB, we can give him a shot at the TE position. 

🤣😂🤣

Edited by SCO96

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think you are underestimating how bad he was with the Jets.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Minshew is more the school ground QB IMO.  

That why he had more success than Darnold to date.  He is better at making something happen IMO

They are both gunslingers. Minshew is part of this newer generation of gunslingers that take care of the ball a lot better.

Darnold seems to lean more old school. Lots of talent, lots of dumb.

We will see which wins out.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/17/jaguars-cut-tim-The Golden Calf of Bristol/

Forget Minshew. We have a shot at The Golden Calf of Bristol now that he's been released was released by the Jaguars today. He's the best backup option on the market right now. If we don't use him as a QB, we can give him a shot at the TE position. 

🤣😂🤣

Samuel L Jackson No GIF

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

Depends if we get Darnold from the last few games of his rookie year or Darnold from last year, I suppose.

I don't think Darnold can be particularly mediocre... He seems too prone to trying to make things happen.  Either those risks are the right ones and it pays off or he's going to ruin some games for us.

1 hour ago, travisura said:

Honestly, I don't want a Plan B if Darnold sh*ts the bed this year. Minshew would keep us in draft purgatory. If Darnold is truly a bust then let him get us a high draft pick.

In other words, if we're going to suck, then let's suck hard.   🤔

Awkward Krieger GIF by Archer

Edited by glenwo2

1 hour ago, glenwo2 said:

Let's be honest with ourselves....In Rhule's eyes, there wouldn't be a competition...

If Rhule truly thinks this way (I don't think he does)...

...he is destined to fail.

In case you're unfamiliar, Drew Bledsoe was the #1 pick in the NFL draft and the Patriots had just signed him to the  largest contract in NFL history (first $100,000,000 deal) when they drafted an un-athletic, weak-armed QB with the 199th pick in round #6...

...your myopic take would have had Tom Brady riding the bench his entire career.

Fortunately for Patriots fans everywhere the inimitable Bill Belichick keenly understands the concept of a sunk cost and didn't let it affect his decision making.

• Pie 1

Jameis Winston will be our backup.  After all, how can the Saints resist picking up the Golden Calf to play behind or alongside Taysom Hill? 

No doubt, Payton is thinking of the possibilities here.  Line them both up in a split backfield, decide who will take the snap based on a hot read, and watch them go. 

It's perfect, right up until one of them decides to throw the football.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1