• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther in each of next 4 HOF classes?

Santee_Panther

This author predicts Mills gets elected next year and Smith not until the year after. Then Peppers and Luke as first year ballot guys. 

I believe if Mills doesn’t make it next year he moves to “senior” status. Sounds like most believe Smith, Peppers and Luke are three locks of when, not if HOFers. 

https://thegruelingtruth.com/football/predicting-the-next-five-pro-football-hall-of-fame-classes/

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not so sure Sam Mills is a Hall of Fame worthy player.  Was he an amazing, emotional leader?  Absolutely.  Was he one of the greatest LBs of all time while on the field?  Ehhhhhh.....IDK about that.  Love the guy, love his message, just not sure if hes one of the greatest ever. 

• Pie 6

Just now, joemac said:

I may be in the minority here, but I'm not so sure Sam Mills is a Hall of Fame worthy player.  Was he an amazing, emotional leader?  Absolutely.  Was he one of the greatest LBs of all time while on the field?  Ehhhhhh.....IDK about that.  Love the guy, love his message, just not sure if hes one of the greatest ever. 

Yeah, Sam Mills means much more to the Carolina Panthers as a LB, coach and inspiration.  I'm not sure the NFL recognizes that he was truly dominant.  He was great in so many ways, but I'm not sure of the HoF.

Smitty, Pep and Luke are all locks.  I think that Smith and Luke are 1st ballots.  There were absolutely dominate, best at their position.  Smith did his best work when the Panthers were a run first team.  It's crazy when you consider his effectiveness compared to guys who played in more high volume attacks.  You knew it was going to 89, and he still dominated.

• Pie 1

Mills was a great LB though. Played a very long career and was a 5x pro bowler (when it meant something) and 3x All-Pro, despite being extremely undersized for a LB. That combined with the context of his time with the Panthers (I believe he was the longest tenured original player, and then obviously the leadership as a coach and literally inspiring the team's motto) I think is enough to get in the HoF.

7 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

I didn’t realize Smitty was 9th all-time in all-purpose yards.  Only behind Brown and Rice among pro bowl WRs.

There’s his jacket right there.

Smittys career stats make him a lock.  Like others have said, probably not first ballot just because, but no doubt he will get in. 8th in receiving yards. 9th all purpose yards. 12th in receptions.  

7 minutes ago, Santee_Panther said:

So if Smitty, Pep and Luke are locks, and Mills is possible but iffy, who is next most likely?

Cam? Olsen? Thomas Davis?

None of those seem likely according to “the numbers” here

I think Cam gets in on his rushing statistics. He had rushing TD numbers that were greater than the best RB's of his era.

If Cam wins the Pats QB spot this year and goes on to have a few more years of starting success then yes. If he loses the job to Mac Jones and that is the end of his career then I don't think he does get in. That sucks but I think it is the reality of it.

Edited by mccjeff
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

Yeah, Sam Mills means much more to the Carolina Panthers as a LB, coach and inspiration.  I'm not sure the NFL recognizes that he was truly dominant.  He was great in so many ways, but I'm not sure of the HoF.

Smitty, Pep and Luke are all locks.  I think that Smith and Luke are 1st ballots.  There were absolutely dominate, best at their position.  Smith did his best work when the Panthers were a run first team.  It's crazy when you consider his effectiveness compared to guys who played in more high volume attacks.  You knew it was going to 89, and he still dominated.

Sometimes a player is more than his stats. You can't measure heart on a stat sheet and Mills had one of the biggest there was. He made everyone around him better. That, combined with his stats, I think he gets in. There needs to be some recognition for that. 

29 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I think Cam gets in on his rushing statistics. He had rushing TD numbers that were greater than the best RB's of his era.

Cam gets weird. 

He is #1 all time in rushing TDs by a QB at 70.  Second place is Steve Young with 43.  

He is #2 all time in rushing yards by a QB only trailing Vick.   He needs 711 yards to jump Vick.  Which means Cam just needs to log probably 2 more seasons.