• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule: Moton is the top RT and second LT behind Erving.

SgtJoo

3 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Nice cherry-picking? Why not include Arians, Reid, or any and every NFL playoff team? Or maybe just look at all the examples like this 

1st Time NFL Head Coaches hired Directly from College since 2000:

• Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers 5-11
  • Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals 13-18-1
  • Bill O’Brien, Houston Texans 52-48
  • Chip Kelly, Philadelphia Eagles 26-21
  • Doug Marrone, Buffalo Bills 15-17
  • Greg Schiano, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 11-21
  • Jim Harbaugh, San Francisco 49ers 44-19-1
  • Bobby Petrino, Atlanta Falcons 3-10
  • Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins 15-17
  • Steve Spurrier, Washington Football Team 12-20
  • Butch Davis, Cleveland Browns 24-35

Working from that list, we find eight of them returned to the college sideline after a stint in the NFL. Matt Rhule just completed his first season in the NFL, Kingsbury just wrapped his second and Doug Marrone has not yet landed a new job after being let go by the Jaguars two weeks ago, though he got a second NFL head coach job after his stint with the Bills. 

Not sure if you are aware but you are supposed to cull out the stats that don't support whatever narrative you are pushing. It's Huddle Logic 101. Just a list of coaches/records without any filtering is perilously close to factual information. We can't have that around here.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

44 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Not sure if you are aware but you are supposed to cull out the stats that don't support whatever narrative you are pushing. It's Huddle Logic 101. Just a list of coaches/records without any filtering is perilously close to factual information. We can't have that around here.

Just want these poor folks to be able to “learn” from the Huddle again. 

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Toomers said:

Just want these poor folks to be able to “learn” from the Huddle again. 

The guy you are talking to isn't going to learn. Trust me, it's hard enough to just have a simple discussion with him and for him not to get emotionally invested in his arguments. 

This offseason added a lot of goofy people to this place.

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The guy you are talking to isn't going to learn. Trust me, it's hard enough to just have a simple discussion with him and for him not to get emotionally invested in his arguments. 

This offseason added a lot of goofy people to this place.

Its just his monthly rant. At this point it’s basically a form letter with a menstrual cycle. Like this classic…

I hope all the Teddy haters are prepared to take the L and say they were wrong when he shows he’s capable of winning big games. 

He’s never gonna be a Mahomes or Rodgers. But he can a really solid QB for us. This offense is built nicely to be a first down machine

• Flames 1

15 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't wish serious injury on anyone, but I hope Erving stay dinged up just enough not to play and forces our hand to play Moton at LT and Christensen at RT just to see if the answers might actually be on the roster because LT would be one helluva box to check off moving forward.

If BC looks as good the rest of preseason as he did Sunday, coaches may decide there's no need to rush Erving back.

15 hours ago, CRA said:

well, seems like a bad plan.  If that was the plan.   We had 4 spots on the OL we aren't very good at...and one we are very good at.  

I would assume that they thought/think that BC could become a starting LT or guard, and that was worth the gamble. Also, Moton's contract specifically has bonuses attached to his play at LT, so maybe this was the plan all along. They could just be trying to bring BC along slowly and not throw him to the wolves by starting him week 1 in a position he's never played.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I want someone to explain to me where this blind faith in Rhule comes from. It's all potential. It's all about the idea that he can build a winning team that can beat good teams. Because so far it hasn't happened.

He was 2-16 against ranked competition in college. He was 0-11 at Baylor. 2-5 at Temple. Those two wins coming against a #21 ECU that dropped from the rankings after losing to his Temple team and finished the season 8-5 and unranked and against a #20 Navy team that dropped from the rankings after losing to his Temple team and finished the season 9-5 and unranked.

We went 5-11 last year beating zero teams that finished with a winning record with the combined record of the teams we beat being 33-47.

From what I can see, Rhule has basically made a living off of beating bad football teams. We hope that he can prove that he can beat good football teams but there's literally zero proof of that thusfar.

I like Rhule. I think he can potentially work out. But this blind faith that some seem to have in him is just baffling and I would honestly like to hear what it's based on.

While I wouldn't call it blind faith for me personally, I have been hopeful Rhule will right the ship. The commonality between those 3 teams (Temple, Baylor, Carolina) is that their level of talent is/was woefully lacking relative to the best/ranked teams. Great coaching has limits. Belichick showed that last year. 

One thing you can say about Rhule is that his teams never underachieve. And I think many of us find that a welcome change after suffering years of that. 

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

While I wouldn't call it blind faith for me personally, I have been hopeful Rhule will right the ship. The commonality between those 3 teams (Temple, Baylor, Carolina) is that their level of talent is/was woefully lacking relative to the best/ranked teams. Great coaching has limits. Belichick showed that last year. 

One thing you can say about Rhule is that his teams never underachieve. And I think many of us find that a welcome change after suffering years of that. 

True. The difference is that in the NFL you have an relatively equal opportunity to acquire talent. The draft and salary cap, in theory, are great equalizers. You do have to be able to retain your talent and create an environment that is attractive to free agents. But there are no Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State programs that can monopolize talent just by name and tradition alone. Baylor and especially Temple were never going to be able to draw top recruits. Rhule and company had to become adept at finding the hidden gems and then coach the hell out of them in order t o compete. This is what gives me hope, the opportunity of parity inherent in the NFL combined with Rhule/Fitterer's ability to find and develop non marquee players.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, onmyown said:

Is his last year voidable? I know olineman aren’t cheap but Chris Clark literally rolled off his couch onto the field for 1 million and I doubt we get much more from Erving.

Sucks to be on the hook for 10 million and not get poo. Might as well sign cheap trash than expensive trash and least have money for future or somewhere else. I am really hoping Erving proves me wrong.

Looks like we can save $4M if we make him a post 6/1 cut, with $3.75M dead cap. We're only paying him $2.24M this year.

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I want someone to explain to me where this blind faith in Rhule comes from. It's all potential. It's all about the idea that he can build a winning team that can beat good teams. Because so far it hasn't happened.

He was 2-16 against ranked competition in college. He was 0-11 at Baylor. 2-5 at Temple. Those two wins coming against a #21 ECU that dropped from the rankings after losing to his Temple team and finished the season 8-5 and unranked and against a #20 Navy team that dropped from the rankings after losing to his Temple team and finished the season 9-5 and unranked.

We went 5-11 last year beating zero teams that finished with a winning record with the combined record of the teams we beat being 33-47.

From what I can see, Rhule has basically made a living off of beating bad football teams. We hope that he can prove that he can beat good football teams but there's literally zero proof of that thusfar.

I like Rhule. I think he can potentially work out. But this blind faith that some seem to have in him is just baffling and I would honestly like to hear what it's based on.

The blind faith comes from the fact that he turned Temple and Baylor around from 'dumpster fires' (to use an Americanism) to 10+ win programmes in 3 seasons. He was poached from both jobs so he never had time to settle into a 4 / 5+ year recruiting cycle, which is what you need in College to change the system. 

He got the most out of the players he had, he recruited well (identified talent) and he developed them well. All three of those skills are transferable and are currently being evidenced in the NFL. 

Those aren't premium Colleges - they're afterthoughts in their conferences. They aren't MEANT to beat ranked teams. What he achieved at both Colleges was sensational. 

He's transformed this team in a season - it's night and day to watching a Rivera team sleepwalk through games. 

• Pie 1